Home General Discussion
Options

AJ Fernandez's status

With all the popularity AJ has gotten among the online community, do you guys think he is still considered a boutique cigar manufactuer? Or is the label boutique more for individual brands/blends?

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I consider the term "boutique" to be a function of volume, not necessarily popularity. Compared to General or Altadis, AJ is still definitely boutique.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    ......thought you were wondering if he was "single". With all the man-love for AJ on this forum, is it wrong????
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    ......thought you were wondering if he was "single". With all the man-love for AJ on this forum, is it wrong????
    If it's wrong, then I don't want to be right.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    i wonder if Alex could hook AJ up with an account here
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    sol1821:
    THAT would be badass - a chance to get some insight from the man himself would be priceless!

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    sol1821:
    im sure he could...question is...would he post?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    sol1821:
    im sure he could...question is...would he post?
    I'm against this. I want him making cigars, not posts...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I seem to recall Alex saying that AJ's English isn't very good, so I doubt he would post, or, that if he did post, that we would understand. I'm with cabi, let the guy focus on blending and producing top quality cigars and Alex can be the update man.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I seem to recall Alex saying that AJ's English isn't very good, so I doubt he would post, or, that if he did post, that we would understand. I'm with cabi, let the guy focus on blending and producing top quality cigars and Alex can be the update man.
    He actually doesnt speak any english. Only "good smoke", "good flavor" and "thank you". that is one of the reasons I stick to his hip at events, he often needs help translating. His partner Kris Kachaturian speaks 5 languages though and is also with him at all events. That guy is a great guy also. If you ever get to an AJ event, be sure to meet kris. A tremendously generous and pleasant individual. He and abdel are like father and son.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    j0z3r:
    He actually doesnt speak any english. Only "good smoke", "good flavor" and "thank you".
    What else is there to say? That pretty much covers it...
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Any guy that speaks 5 languages is a freaking genius in my book
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    To the question at hand, it all depends on what people think of as boutique. the largest brand owners that own all of their own production are General, Altadis, Davidoff, Fuente and Drew Estate and Oliva are probably tied for 5th. If you count plasencia and all the brands he makes, he would probably be top 3 but not many people think of him as he is 100% contract work for other brands. Abdel is the same way. 99% of his production is contract for other people. His only brand is San Lotano which is still very small. Conversely, General, Altadis, Davidoff, Fuente, Drew and Oliva are the opposite with maybe only 5% of their production for other customers. Two very different models. Still, Abdel is maybe only half the size of Oliva in terms of annual production so by any standard, still a small player. Even in Nicaragua in terms of annual production abdel ranks around 5th. The good thing about cigars though is that it is quality over quantity.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    No kidding! I learned French in high school and the Army attempted to teach me Russian. Let's just say it's hard to understand me when I've been drinking... I ramble and slur in three languages after a few
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ejenne87:
    fla-gypsy:
    No kidding! I learned French in high school and the Army attempted to teach me Russian. Let's just say it's hard to understand me when I've been drinking... I ramble and slur in three languages after a few
    rofl. I took some Japanese in college and am currently trying to learn Spanish; every time I don't know a phrase in spanish, for some reason, I substitute japanese in without really thinking about it. I get some strange looks :P
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    ejenne87:
    fla-gypsy:
    rofl. I took some Japanese in college and am currently trying to learn Spanish; every time I don't know a phrase in spanish, for some reason, I substitute japanese in without really thinking about it. I get some strange looks :P
    My Russian teacher used to throw stuff at me cuz I did that so much! Now, I can't even tell the difference half the time.