Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Man O War Ruination Torpedo

Review of Man O War Ruination Belicoso Torpedo 5.7x56

First Impressions: Mahogany Brown almost maduro in color. Wrapper is thick and the veins pronounced. The stick is balanced and firm, very oily to the touch.

Prelight: The draw is on the firm side looking for it to ease up in the body of the smoke. Smells of chocolate and ripe dried fruit. (Almost a pipe tobacco smell)

Lighting: Cuban Crafters Perfecto 24 straight cut (two cuts) One for the tip of the torpedo. The second to open up the cigar. Lighting was effortless and straight.

First Puffs: Pepper and Chocolate straight away. Spice is evident on the nose with a burn and sting.

First third: Notes of strong cedar and leather, maintaining the chocolate from the opening to an oily expresso from the mouth through the nose. This is a full bodied cigar with a defined presence. First inch a greyish white ash razor sharp.

Second third: Ash is firm and holding all the way through the stick. A strong chocolate and oak flavors present with a semi sweetness on the finish. Dried fruits such as raisin and apricot along with some orange peel. Pepper is gone settling into a smoothness, although strong flavor. Leather has been replaced with roasted almond. Reminds me of a Chocolate Chunky. This is a powerhouse of a cigar.

Final Third: Got a little lightheaded, this cigar has turned up the strength and has turned very heavy on the palate, A dry leather returns but is rather quicky replaced with a strong tobacco flavor, the nicotine released on the final third of the cigar and mouth feels like Im chewing Redman Chewing Tobacco. Tongue is a bit numb from all the nicotine The burn turns a little uneven and tight. I believe this is my fault from pulling too hard and too often. The cigar stayed cool but the flavor overcoated the palate and affected my ability to smoke it any further.

Final thoughts: This is not a cigar to smoke without time on your hands. If you over do it then it will reach out and slap you in the face. The cigar is a flavorful treat but dont try to smoke it like a medium bodied cigar. I believe it was my fault in smoking this cigar in under 1 hour when it could of used 1 hour and 20 mins and taken long brakes between pulls. I will not deter anyone from this cigar as it is flavorful and strong and would treat the user to a complex array of flavors.

Ruination 001

Comments

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    This stick is a forum favorite of many here and I do not remember seeing a better review. You were spot on on your description, I love this stick, it is one of AJ's crowning acheivements
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    See, now i just so happen to have one of those along with a few other rings. I think these as awesome but i to find that, with torpedoes, the last three is always over the top with power and usually hot on the pull.
  • Options
    So what's your overall opinion? How would you rate it? Would you buy a box? The #2 happens to be in my top 10 smokes, maybe even top 5. I've read on other forums that the #2 blows the belicoso away. Haven't tried the belicoso myself, but man the #2 is a real treat. It's a cigar I consider good enough to smoke on holidays and special occasions.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    the belicoso is my favorite size for sure! I don't like the huge ring gauge sizes much because it hurts the jaw a bit, at least the cap is a bit smaller on the beli.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Ruination belicoso is one of my favorites of all time. Very complex and tasty. But yes, pacing yourself is important. Strength will overwhelm you if you smoke too fast. I usually take a puff and a draw every 40 - 45 seconds.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    wwhwang:
    Ruination belicoso is one of my favorites of all time. Very complex and tasty. But yes, pacing yourself is important. Strength will overwhelm you if you smoke too fast. I usually take a puff and a draw every 40 - 45 seconds.
    Yes, good advice. Smoking a Ruination in under an hour is gong to result in several things: your delicious cigar getting way too hot (and tasting bad) and your stomach/head are going to be spinning!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    In my best Jack Nicholson voice "I smoke Ruination for breakfast" LOL
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    brizzzine:
    So what's your overall opinion? How would you rate it? Would you buy a box? The #2 happens to be in my top 10 smokes, maybe even top 5. I've read on other forums that the #2 blows the belicoso away. Haven't tried the belicoso myself, but man the #2 is a real treat. It's a cigar I consider good enough to smoke on holidays and special occasions.
    It is a great smoke and very complex. I plan on turning to the #2 as the belicoso turns up the strength as you get to the last third where the cigar starts to become cone shape. I believe a toro would alieviate the strength issue I experianced. Would I buy a box? Yes and no. Yes I would like to expand my experiances with the brand, however I found the belicoso to be too strong in the last third of the cigar. I would rate it in my top 10 so far this year, however not overall in my history of smoking cigars. I will be trying another one soon as I have 5 of this vitola and I plan on taking my time.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The #1 is my personal favorite for the Ruination, everything just explodes with flavor. I've yet to have to buy a box of these yet even though they are in my top 2 favorite smokes (the other is Diesel Unlimited) because they come up so often on Daily Deals, weekend blitzes and are included in sampler packs left and right.