Home Ratings & Reviews

Noobie smoking a Padilla Miami

Well after a casual night smoke with my Padilla, I noticed something, it really didn't have any flavor? It was smooth, burnt even and looked great but I really didn't notice a distinguishing flavor. Maybe it's just because I'm a noobie and don't understand yet.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Are you retro-haling?

Also, I noticed when I first started smoking cigars sometimes I would pull the smoke right into my tongue and burn out my taste-buds resulting in little to no taste. No clue if that's happening here, but just thought I'd throw it out there as something to ponder.
  • Retro-haling?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Expelling a portion of the smoke through your nose as you blow it out.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Reto-haling is where you take smoke in through the mouth and blow it back out with both your nose and your mouth. It takes some practice, but when you get experienced at it, you will tend to pick up flavors and nuances that would have missed otherwise. However, I would suggest starting out with milder cigars as going full strength with your first retro-hale attempt will probably be a little painful.
  • So i should be retro-haling then?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    In addition to what Russ is saying I have a couple of pointers that may help you.

First, taste and smell are closely related, so close in fact that one could say they're dependant on each other. For this reason, it is important to utilize the smell receptors to get the most out of your cigar.

Another point that is important is knowing what you're looking for; a cigar does not taste like anything but tobacco, but there are certain nuances in the tobacco smoke that will remind you of something else, for example I find the Padilla Miami to be heavy on leather and cedar, and what that means is not that the smoke tastes like leather and cedar, but the combination of taste and aroma remind me of how those two things smell. The best way to train your palate to recognize these things is to read reviews and take note of the main "tastes" that cigar has, if it is described as leathery then grab a baseball mit and take a good long smell and get familiar with it, if it's hay do the same thing, train yourself to recognize these aromas and it will be second nature as you smoke the cigar.

And finally, perhaps the most important, and easiest, thing you can do to maximize your cigar enjoyment is to take your time, never rush a cigar. When you smoke too fast the oils, and in turn the tobacco, heats up quickly and any nuances will be overshadowed by the heat. A good guideline is to take a short puff, release, then take a long puff to really fill your mouth with smoke and coat your palate...do this every 45-60 seconds and you will maximize the flavor and enjoyment you get from a premium cigar.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Brycicles:
    Well after a casual night smoke with my Padilla, I noticed something, it really didn't have any flavor? It was smooth, burnt even and looked great but I really didn't notice a distinguishing flavor. Maybe it's just because I'm a noobie and don't understand yet.
    Mmm I love the miami robusto. I did notice the robusto has more flavor that the larger sizes. I'd love to try the corona. What size did you smoke.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    SmokySuit:
    Brycicles:
    Mmm I love the miami robusto. I did notice the robusto has more flavor that the larger sizes. I'd love to try the corona. What size did you smoke.
    +1....Love the robo...also my favorite. To me it just tastes a little better than the other vitolas.

"Long ashes my friends."

• If I remeber right it was a churchill.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The churchill is my favorite size in most cigars. The Miami is a full body smoke but most people equate that with being a spice bomb which the Miami is not. Perhaps you were anticipating spice which didn't come? One of the reasons I like these so much is because they are a substantial smoke without all the spice and pepper most full-bodies have.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brycicles:
    So i should be retro-haling then?
    whichever way you get it there, it's all about the nose.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brycicles:
    So i should be retro-haling then?
    whichever way you get it there, it's all about the nose.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain