Home General Discussion
Options

Beads for 52-qt Igloodor?

I have 1/2 lb. Of 65-rh beads; with five cedar boxes, is that enough to hold proper humidity in a 52-qt Igloo coolidor? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to: http://heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp , enter the appropriate numbers, and it'll calculate for you the quantity of beads you require to do your job.

Marty

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Becket:
    I have 1/2 lb. Of 65-rh beads; with five cedar boxes, is that enough to hold proper humidity in a 52-qt Igloo coolidor? Thanks
    1/2lb is adequate...
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Becket:
    1/2lb is adequate...
    Especially in a cooler. Those things hold humidity VERY well. I have a pound in a 50 qt. and a pound and a half in a 75 qt. Both of them are guilty of running high from time to time if I don;t open them up every once in a while
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ejenne87:
    Diamondog:
    Becket:
    1/2lb is adequate...
    Especially in a cooler. Those things hold humidity VERY well. I have a pound in a 50 qt. and a pound and a half in a 75 qt. Both of them are guilty of running high from time to time if I don;t open them up every once in a while
    Definitely will be enough. For my 48qt cooler, I think I use 1/4lb of 65% beads. More than enough. Remember that coolers have a true seal so they are going to hold humidity a lot more than a humidor.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I also have a pound in mine and it's more than enough.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Diamondog:
    Becket:
    1/2lb is adequate...
    Definitely will be enough. For my 48qt cooler, I think I use 1/4lb of 65% beads. More than enough. Remember that coolers have a true seal so they are going to hold humidity a lot more than a humidor.
    Tat and I had the same set up and for the most part. I used about the same in mine and found that if I didn't open the coolidor up the RH would be high. It should be plenty just remember to open that bad boy up for some air exchange every now and again.
  • Options
    BecketBecket Posts: 32
    Thanks I will remember that

Edit: Tonight I wiped down the cooler and boxes with distilled water (after cleaning cooler and drying) , and added boxes. Then poked alot of skewer holes in the bead bag, opened the zip wide, and put it into a little tupperware that I lined with a damp paper towel, and put that in one corner and shut the cooler lid. With the Wallyworld digital RH, and Oust battery fan (sans fragrance of course), I have (after buying a few cigar boxes cheap) about $40-$45 into it total. 52-qt Igloo (family, red) cooler was cheap at Target, under $20 easy, iirc. Maybe I could do it cheaper, but it works for my first one; and as you all say, my mandatory next one will be bigger!