Home General Discussion
Options

How are Nubs made?

Are nubs rolled longer with both ends closed, then cut in the middle? The point is to get to the 'sweet spot' of a cigar immediately, correct?

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    From what I can recall from the dusty parts of my brain, it's rolled like other cigars, just in a more compact format. Just pulled out a Nub Cammy from the humi and the wrap looks the same as the other cigars.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Yea I could be wrong but I think the magic is in how the leaves are trimed before they are rolled??
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That is correct, the Nubs are rolled to be that size, not just cut down. If you look at the wrapper there will be three turns around the cigar from end to end just like a normal sized cigar. There is a thread around here that I think Kuzi did that illustrates the technique and theory behind the cigars.
  • Options
    BecketBecket Posts: 32
    cool, thanks!
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    :)
  • Options
    I think hand made :)
  • Options
    You're killing me...
    No, seriously, I'm dyin' over here...

I should have seen that coming lol, got me!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my ancient memory serves me well, someone, I think Kuzi, did a hand drawn chart on how they were made, showing they were more than just a cut off cigar.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    That correct. The technique had something to do with how they cut the wrapper leaf, prior to wrapping the cigar with it.
  • Options
    havent had a nub in quite awhile..need to revisit. ohyea..and I need to try over 100 other sticks in my coolidor lol
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered a Nub sampler. pwnage
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    No no no ! They are made by Nubisco Elves ... wait a minute ... no thats some other chit that elves make. Damn I shouldn't drink and post hahaha ...
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok, saw the man himself roll one on utube; but he used already completed inside 'plugs' , I guess they are done basically the same way. Interesting
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    They are rolled just like regular cigars. I'm not sure how much of the theory behind the sweet spot and rolling shorter cigars is true, because in order to do that, Oliva would have to waste a TON of tobacco, cutting parts out of leaves in order to get the blend correct. I think the reality is that the blend is done in such a way that it doesn't transition at all (which in my experience, the Nub cigars don't) thus giving the impression of the cigar only being the "sweet spot" of a cigar (which is BS anyway IMO. Cigars rarely have a "sweet spot" and if so, they aren't particularly good cigars, as a good cigar would be good from start to finish, not only in the final third)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    That is correct, the Nubs are rolled to be that size, not just cut down. If you look at the wrapper there will be three turns around the cigar from end to end just like a normal sized cigar. There is a thread around here that I think Kuzi did that illustrates the technique and theory behind the cigars.
    yup... its in THIS page of my blending 101 thread, a little over half way down

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    (which in my experience, the Nub cigars don't) thus giving the impression of the cigar only being the "sweet spot" of a cigar (which is BS anyway IMO. Cigars rarely have a "sweet spot" and if so, they aren't particularly good cigars, as a good cigar would be good from start to finish, not only in the final third)
    Good point. "I'm going to make a baseball bat that is only the 'sweet spot' of the bat." You'd be left holding a little 6 inch section of the bat? lol
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    They are rolled just like regular cigars. I'm not sure how much of the theory behind the sweet spot and rolling shorter cigars is true, because in order to do that, Oliva would have to waste a TON of tobacco, cutting parts out of leaves in order to get the blend correct. I think the reality is that the blend is done in such a way that it doesn't transition at all (which in my experience, the Nub cigars don't) thus giving the impression of the cigar only being the "sweet spot" of a cigar (which is BS anyway IMO. Cigars rarely have a "sweet spot" and if so, they aren't particularly good cigars, as a good cigar would be good from start to finish, not only in the final third)
    the oliva factory does not waste that much tobacco at all. they do cut down the quite a bit for these cigars. all that extra leaf is then used/sold for short filler cigars.