Home General Discussion
Options

Ccom bags for storage, open or closed?

Should I leave my Ccom plastic ziplocks ope or closed, when storing loose cigars in them, in my coolidor?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I leave mine open so the cigars get some air circulation.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I have a few in mine right now... the larger bags let 9-10 sticks lay flat depending on the ring gauge... I keep mine open so the humidity can flow in and out... if you seal them, you'd be blocking out the humidity and each bag would need a humi pillow... so I say keep them open...
  • Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    I think the bags act almost like cello's so i just throw them in. I am interested, maybe ill do an experiment to see the humidity inside a bag, inside the humi. Or even the humidity of the inside of a box, that is inside of a humidor. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    BecketBecket Posts: 32
    Yes, I didn't know if they act like cello or not, because they are so thick; I was going to leave them open, and label them with current contents. Then also just keep the same similar strengths in each, to help when I am rummaging for that one type of smoke.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Becket:
    Yes, I didn't know if they act like cello or not, because they are so thick; I was going to leave them open, and label them with current contents. Then also just keep the same similar strengths in each, to help when I am rummaging for that one type of smoke.
    Hey Becket, check out this thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/209045.aspx
    it has a LOT of great content on this topic
  • Options
    Great link, thank you
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Same.

If you close them, you are sealing off your cigars from the environment. It's not a perfect seal, but the air/humidity exchange will be minimal.
  • Options
    ive kept them open didnt think that the plastic was that breathable.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Keep them open or IME your sticks will not get the humidity that they need. An easier way would be to get a few empty cigar boxes, take the tops off then BAM you have 2 boxes for your sticks to sit in. Try getting the spanish cedar boxes as this will help with your humidity that you asked about in the other thread. It offers some protection as well for your sticks just in case.
  • Options
    Open it is; also I have boxes I will remove lids from. I was wondering about that as well, whether to leave the boxes open or closed in my new coolidor, that answered it.
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Wait. . .you guys open boxes for storage in coolidors? Won't spanish cedar boxes absorb and emit humidity equally inside and outside?
  • Options
    not sure about boxes, but i just put them in the humi. for what its worth, i placed a digital hygro inside a ccom bag, and placed another outside. Both read exactly the same.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Becket:
    Open it is; also I have boxes I will remove lids from. I was wondering about that as well, whether to leave the boxes open or closed in my new coolidor, that answered it.
    The boxes can be propped open or left closed. Most do not have a seal like a humidor and air flow is usually pretty good. What I was referring to was to use the other boxes for your singles.
  • Options
    Gonna just leave them cracked I think, and close one with some low-dollar sticks to see if there is any difference after 3-4 months. The boxes I got from a b&m are pretty solid, not the lighter lined cedar and paper ones.
  • Options
    every walk in humidor ive seen always has sealed boxes. they must stay within the relative same humidity levels inside. i mean the ccom humi must be huge, and they have to keep all the new boxes sealed. i dont see how bags would be different. to each their own, however youde like to store your smokes, as long as you enjoy them.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    NightHawk:
    every walk in humidor ive seen always has sealed boxes. they must stay within the relative same humidity levels inside. i mean the ccom humi must be huge, and they have to keep all the new boxes sealed. i dont see how bags would be different. to each their own, however youde like to store your smokes, as long as you enjoy them.
    My guess is that the boxes allow for the transfer of humidity, while the bags don't, or don't much.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    My better b&m has opened boxes to choose singles, and of course, the backups for sale are sealed. I dunno enough about storage which is why all your answers are right lol! I will leave them open for now. However, I saw a utube wher a guy opens a pre-embargo 70-yr-old box of cubans that were kept in a humidor, and they were fine. All round'. My coolidor's first night is looking good on another note, good humidity and all.
    Jeez, it's a long way since my much younger Dutch Master Cognac and Swisher Sweets days (gack! Gonna get banned for admitting that lol!)
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Boxes in a humidor or coolerdor don't need to be open. The seals just are not that tight on them, and the wood breathes. Not sure about boxes like the Nestor Miranda Art Deco or the Gran Habano Azteca that are not wooden though.

As for storing cigars in bags. I have a few big bags of cigars that I keep in my cooler, that are closed 90% of the way, allowing air in and out of them, but they are in the cooler, which has a 100% seal or whatever. I have a bag of NUB Cammies though (like 25 of them, ridiculous...) that I don't have room for inside anything, and they are basically my throw around cigars, to give to people who don't smoke, or to smoke when I'm out doing something, etc. that I just have a pair of Boveda packs in(65%), and keep it sealed shut...
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    x2, I have a bunch of bags in my cabinet humi which I leave open as well
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I will preface what I am about to say with the fact that I do not store in bags in my humi.

That said, I think that the responders so far are overlooking some simple physics. I ask the question, what if you had perfectly humidified sticks and placed them in a Ccom bag and sealed it and left it outside your humidor? I suspect the answer from most everyone would be that the sticks would, eventually, dry out. If this is indeed the case, it has to work both ways. Sure, the transfer of air may be slower, but it is going to equal out RH both inside the bag and the surrounding environment.

Of course, if your reply is that sticks will stay indefinitely in a sealed bag without a humidor, it is sort of a moot point anyhow ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    j0z3r:
    this is what should be done.

boxes in the shops that have shrink wrap on them dont actually hold much humidity in. they are often torn by the time they get to the shop.

if a cigar does not have the air exchange it needs in your humidor then they will not age as quickly. air exchange is key to aging.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Nick2021:
    j0z3r:

boxes in the shops that have shrink wrap on them dont actually hold much humidity in. they are often torn by the time they get to the shop.

if a cigar does not have the air exchange it needs in your humidor then they will not age as quickly. air exchange is key to aging.
    kuzi, do you remove the shrink wrap from the boxes when you put them in your humi?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    kuzi16:
    Nick2021:
    j0z3r:

kuzi, do you remove the shrink wrap from the boxes when you put them in your humi?
    i dont put boxes in the humidor. i dont have enough room to put the box itself in. if i did have the room i would take it off. the shrink wrap may not be air tight but those boxes need to breathe