Home General Discussion
Options

Humidity sheets instead of beads?

Anyone use these cut-to-fit sheets instead of beads? They sound easier to deal with and free up the space holding the beads, no?

Comments

• Options
    any additional info on these? where can you get them?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Becket:
    Anyone use these cut-to-fit sheets instead of beads? They sound easier to deal with and free up the space holding the beads, no?

The easiest thing you can ever do in your cigar life is go with Boveda Packs !!! You can buy them as singles or in boxes of 12. I use the ones for 69rh and they keep me at a steady 66-68 at all times. Just drop them in your humidor and forget about them , yes it really is that simple , I have used them for several years now and never had the first problem. You can go on the Boveda site and order them and several other sources are available. Just go to their site and check them out and decide for yourself. They last me on average about 8 weeks ( although I have had some working fine at 10 weeks when I replaced them) . May be a small bit more expensive over time but they are idiot proof and work PERFECTLY . This is starting to sound like a Boveda Pack commercial but they do work great hahaha .
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Becket:

The easiest thing you can ever do in your cigar life is go with Boveda Packs !!! You can buy them as singles or in boxes of 12. I use the ones for 69rh and they keep me at a steady 66-68 at all times. Just drop them in your humidor and forget about them , yes it really is that simple , I have used them for several years now and never had the first problem. You can go on the Boveda site and order them and several other sources are available. Just go to their site and check them out and decide for yourself. They last me on average about 8 weeks ( although I have had some working fine at 10 weeks when I replaced them) . May be a small bit more expensive over time but they are idiot proof and work PERFECTLY . This is starting to sound like a Boveda Pack commercial but they do work great hahaha .
    They are definitely easier to use that beads. I've been using Boveda packs for a few years now, and I have beads too, which are nice, but the packs are fire and forget for a few months while the beads require a little more maintenance. So if you're looking for something even easier to use than beads, it's the Boveda pack. This is starting to sounds like a commercial...

Gene, I get about 2 months in my humis also, but in my coolers I get about 3 1/2 months, and only have to use one pack, maybe two if it's a bigger cooler.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Russ55:
    gmill880:
    Becket:

They are definitely easier to use that beads. I've been using Boveda packs for a few years now, and I have beads too, which are nice, but the packs are fire and forget for a few months while the beads require a little more maintenance. So if you're looking for something even easier to use than beads, it's the Boveda pack. This is starting to sounds like a commercial...

Gene, I get about 2 months in my humis also, but in my coolers I get about 3 1/2 months, and only have to use one pack, maybe two if it's a bigger cooler.

Same here on the one cooler I have set up Russ , getting 12 weeks and then I go ahead and change it anyway.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried recharging the boveda packs? I had some fuente humidity packs and left them out for a while when I transfered the cigars to my humi and they got pretty dry and stiff. I put them in a ziplock with a small dish of water and they puffed right back up. Stuck them in the humi as additional humidification (in addition to beads - in between layers of cigars) and they've been in there for well over a year, still slightly humid and the humi holds the best humidity of all 4 of my humis and doesn't exactly have the best seal.

Just curious if anyone else had tried recharging these as I know they're 2 way.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Russ55:
    gmill880:
    Becket:

Same here on the one cooler I have set up Russ , getting 12 weeks and then I go ahead and change it anyway.
    Boveda called...... they said your monthly sales checks have been sent. Good work ;)
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I just switch from the Boveda packs to the beads. For the cost ratio I think the beads are a better way to go. Mo money for sticks. And I'm probably in my humi's and coolador more than I should be anyway so its not big deal for me to hit the beads with the spray bottle when I think they need them.

Just tried something new, or new for me anyway. I took the old humidifier, took it a part and took out the sponge. Cleaned it up real good and filled it full of beads, bam now my beads are out of the way and I dont have wasted space on the lid anymore.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    gmill880:
    May be a small bit more expensive over time
    I would think these would be quite a bit more expensive over time, $4/pack lasting 2 months, $24/year opposed to 1 time cost of similar for beads....One of the things that I have learned about beads and in general, it took a long time (month +) for my humis and coolers to stabalize and there was a lot of fluctuating in RH in the interim but now they are all flawless with no maintenance other then wetting beads from time to time...with the fluctuations I was getting pretty fedup thinking beads were the answer so patience is definately a virtue with beads...