Home General Discussion
Options

Hi guys

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
So I've been lurking on this forum for months now and have been meaning to introduce myself to you guys, so here goes.  My name's Ken, I'm 31, live in central jersey, work as a research scientist at Rutgers University, and have been smoking cigars for a couple years.  I started out loving Rocky Patel and Gurkha but have since grown far more fond of AJ Fernandez's blends, especially Diesel and MoW.  I have also started brewing my own beer in the past 6 months and am very interested in brewing beers that pair well with my favorite cigars, as well as finding wines, liquors (particularly scotch and bourbon), and other beers that go well.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys on here!  Also, if someone could reply or PM me with a way to get started on the trades/passes part of this, that'd be great!
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome. The best way to get started with trades is find someone who will be willing to trade with you. Normally the new guy send his out then once the BOTL gets it he will send his out. Then the BOTL will post you on the good traders list.

if you got any unlimited's I would be up for a trade. Let me know
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Ahh, another NJ guy. Finally we are starting to make our presence known! :-)
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the group, what field of research? Just curious.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Welcome Ken. Your best bet to get involved with a trade and to get you on the "Good Traders List" is to go the the Trade/Passes/Bombs forum and list what you are willing to trade and what you are looking for. Or, you may say that you are willing to trade these five sticks for a blind sampler but mention sticks that you like so the can send you something similar. It's a great way to sample other cigars without having to buy 5 and 10 packs.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Ken! Nothing but great BOTL's here!!
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Welcome!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Welcome brother.
  • Options
    Wow thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I'm trying to figure out how to reply properly...can't figure out how to put multiple quotes in one message to respond to specific questions. At least I finally figured out how to put breaks in. :)

rossdavey: haven't had the unlimited yet, only have a couple unholy cocktail. need to remedy that pronto, have a lot of the rocky stuff I used to smoke still.

rwhelwright: we should hang some time, drop me a PM or something!

amos: I'm studying the genetic and molecular bases for learned fear. Did my dissertation on a mouse model of intelligence. I plan take the techniques I'm using now and apply them to the intelligence research I did then when I get my own lab in the future. You in science too?

undulac: thanks for the advice, I'll try that, maybe later today!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I am an ICU nurse, RN, and get interested in how people's decisions affect their health. I also have a strong interest in consciousness as a study, and took a few philosophy courses along with all the required psychology. More "soft" science than what you're into, but all related.
    I've been particularly interested in left/right brain dichotomy, existentialism with strong influence of Kierkegaard, Hegel, Heidegger and Sartre. What you're doing sounds to me like connecting the dots between the physical and the experiential, at least from my perspective, and it sounds like some really fascinating applications will come from it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Interesting. I am an ICU nurse, RN, and get interested in how people's decisions affect their health. I also have a strong interest in consciousness as a study, and took a few philosophy courses along with all the required psychology. More "soft" science than what you're into, but all related.
    I've been particularly interested in left/right brain dichotomy, existentialism with strong influence of Kierkegaard, Hegel, Heidegger and Sartre. What you're doing sounds to me like connecting the dots between the physical and the experiential, at least from my perspective, and it sounds like some really fascinating applications will come from it.

You're dead on, I'm very much connecting the workings of the physical brain (and the genes that create/run it) and our experience of that brain at work. Physically, of course, I have to understand that the brain and the mind and the body are one and the same, but we certainly don't experience them that way, and I think that's the most interesting part of neuroscience. That's where this odd phenomenon we call consciousness comes in, and unfortunately I think I was born a bit too soon to get a crack at studying that phenomenon, though that's what got me on this path in the first place. You might also be interested to know (if you don't already) that there is a developing field of psychology called Health Psychology that deals with the decision making process and how it applies to health and medicine. You should check out your local college or university, they might offer a course!
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Ken. Look forward to having you around the forums. enjoy your time with us.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sup...

• Options
    glad to have you, Ken! AJ Fernandez blends are very popular around here so you will fit right in.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    xIcedGuardianx:
    glad to have you, Ken! AJ Fernandez blends are very popular around here so you will fit right in.
    Thanks, man, looks like you're a fellow metalhead, that's good to see. Favorite bands? I'm really into Five Finger Death Punch, God Forbid, and Ihsahn's newer solo album right now, plus getting back into Iron Maiden after years...
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Ken Light:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Thanks, man, looks like you're a fellow metalhead, that's good to see. Favorite bands? I'm really into Five Finger Death Punch, God Forbid, and Ihsahn's newer solo album right now, plus getting back into Iron Maiden after years...
    A metalhead, brews his own beer, and smokes cigars? You'll fit right in Ken, welcome aboard!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! It's always nice to see another BOTL that is also a fan of scotch and bourbon! Hope you enjoy the brotherhood here and become a long term member of this dysfunctional family.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ken, welcome to the forums...I'd also be willing to trade with you. What kind of RP stuff do you have? PM me your info bud

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    Hey Ken, welcome to the forums...I'd also be willing to trade with you. What kind of RP stuff do you have? PM me your info bud
    PM sent.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to the group
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. Good to have you here.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ken Light:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Ah, see right there fellas? THATS what this forum needs - MORE IRON MAIDEN FANS!!! UP THE IRONS BROTHER, and welcome!

I may have missed it, but I dont think anyone responded to your comment about multiple quotes??? The easiest way I have found is to open two windows - Start your reply on one. Use the other to copy or cut the quotes you want, and paste them in the first one. Im sure some of our more computer savvy BOTL here will have a simpler way to do it, but this way works for me. :-)

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    New PM to you
  • Options
    Thanks to all! Especially Sniper, that makes sense now, I think I get it. And yeah, there might be an easier more HTML savvy way, but...if it works, it works.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Good to have you here with us, Ken. I've been brewing my own beer off and on for the last year and some. Fun times! I've got a black IPA that I'm going to be finally bottling this weekend. Should be great with a heavier cigar - at least that's the hope!
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ken Light:
    Thanks to all! Especially Sniper, that makes sense now, I think I get it. And yeah, there might be an easier more HTML savvy way, but...if it works, it works.
    If you run into any trouble, shoot me a PM & I will explain it a little more in-depth - didnt want to drop a novel on ya right off the bat. LOL

• Options
    Ken Light:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I'm definitely a metalhead! Iron maiden is in my top five for sure. Too many to mention, but some are Megadeth, Testament, In Flames, At the Gates, pretty much anything from Gothenburg Sweden. Glad to see some metalheads on here. Also.. Didnt know Sniper was a fan. Awesome!
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Ken Light:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I'm definitely a metalhead! Iron maiden is in my top five for sure. Too many to mention, but some are Megadeth, Testament, In Flames, At the Gates, pretty much anything from Gothenburg Sweden. Glad to see some metalheads on here. Also.. Didnt know Sniper was a fan. Awesome!
    I'm a HUGE Iron Maiden and Testament fan. Testament is one of the most underrated and best metal bands ever, Alex Skolnick is a god. I've seen both bands in concert several times.
    Light 'em up.