Home General Discussion
Options

Need help choosing a humidor!

Okay, So I have a really decent 50-count desktop humidor that's already full, and I tend to buy my favorites by the box so I need a second humidor for resting/seasoning and some boxes.

I've paired my choices down to:

The Shopkeeper - 250 count cabinet displayer

Versaille 300 ct glass desktop

Havana Foot Locker - 300 ct tall desktop

El Diablo - 300 ct desktop humidor

Space for the humidor is not an issue, my decor is traditional (espresso-colored leather, earth tone furniture), and price is also not an issue between those selections.

Also wondering if boveda packs would work fine or if I should get one of those Cigar Oasis XL's if I have the money to blow (especially on the larger humi's)

Would really appreciate any feedback from owners or detractors with a bad experience. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I am pretty sure you can pick up the last two here at CCom if you contact one of the sales staff. I think the "El Diablo" Is the one ENFIDL just posted pics of last week. Looks to be a really nice humi! I would go with a 300 ct personally.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had the El Diablo, although it wasn't called that where I bought it. It's ok but you will find that the havana foot locker actually has more room in it. Of the ones you posted, that is the one I would go with. But if you are ok with spending $300 on a humi, contact waxingmoon and tell him your budget. He might be able to work with you and get you something that will have more capacity for the money.
  • Options
    i think the Havana Foot Locker looks like the ammo containers you see in the Army lol. You can get a cabinet humidor for as little as 350ish with shipping included. (600ct count).
  • Options
    i only paid about 350 for my cabinet. definitely the way to go. you can never go too big
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    DrPepper... you have a PM
  • Options
    ajacobsajacobs Posts: 29
    Avoid the shopkeeper.  It gets old quick accessing the humidor from the back with shelves that slant toward the front.  If the shelves were level it would be a different story.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'd probably go with the Havana and the Boveda packs. That big, all I'm really concerned about is space, but that's me.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Especially since you buy by the box, check out Coolidors. Scan through this thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/209045.aspx
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i would go with the diablo or a cabinet, and i wouldn't buy them from 2 of the sites up there.i've had bad experience with one and heard tons of complaints about another. you should stick with ccom
  • Options
    i have a cigar oasis ultra for a 120 count it works great and takes up no room though pricey
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Just throwing my two cents in here too.

No real input on the humi's becuase I don't have any of those. But it sounds like you've got the right thought process down here, so thats a good start. But I did want to mention Beads. You mention boveda packs and the cigar oasis, but before you buy anything, do a few searches here about the beads before you take the plunge to make sure you get going in the direction you want to go in. I'm a ~8 year cigar smoker and just recently made the switch to the heartfelt beads and their freaking awesome. Its been the most consistent month of humidity my cigars have ever had. hahaha.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you fing yourself buying boxes make yourself a coolidor setup. Pretty simple, buy yourself a cooler and some beads (Conservagel or Heartfelt) and you're done. Spend the rest of the money on buying boxes of cigars. I like my 1200 ct cabinet with the Oasis II but I LOVE my coolidor. For less than $100.00 you are set for resting and aging boxes.

Going with the coolidor setup is one of the smartest things I ever did.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For sheer storage space, I'm with bandyt, dollar for dollar you just cannot beat a cooler. Now if aesthetics are an issue, well frankly a cooler isn't very pretty, and I'd recommend the Havana Footlocker...I have one and it has a ton of room for boxes in the bottom, I have about 7-8 boxes in there currently, one being a 50 ct cab, and if I took out the five packs there is conceivably room for another 2-3 depending on size. And if you were to take the trays out you'd get even more room, I'd estimate enough for 12-15 boxes total depending on size.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far, including asides on humidor support. I'm on the fence between Conservagel, Boveda Packs, or beads.

Didn't realize the Shopkeeper makes you reach in from the backside to get front-slanting shelves; would definitely get old. Thanks for the heads up

j0z3r:
    ...Havana Footlocker...I have one and it has a ton of room for boxes in the bottom, I have about 7-8 boxes in there currently, one being a 50 ct cab, and if I took out the five packs there is conceivably room for another 2-3 depending on size. And if you were to take the trays out you'd get even more room, I'd estimate enough for 12-15 boxes total depending on size.
    Definitely don't want a coolidor; want something pleasing. I'm rather taken aback by the fact you can fit 7-8 boxes in the HFL with room for singles/packs. I was under the impression most of those things stored less than what they advertised. But if it really fits that many boxes and singles, it's a strong contender!

I'm also considering contacting Waxing Moon about his humi's as I was impressed with the workmanship and style displayed on his website, but I have a strong feeling that my wallet can't cash the checks my eyeballs are writing :p

Still listening to you folks as I pick'em right, not fast! Thanks!

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Soooo which one did you select?

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Soooo which one did you select?

I got a quote from Waxing Moon last week for a custom cherry/walnut glasstop, and am waiting for a reply from him before I get the order going.

Otherwise I found one at my B&M I'll probably go for that has a glasstop, two windows on the front and has space for aging boxes as well as a singles on top.