Home Ratings & Reviews

Lighter Review Thread

Just searched for a lighter review thread, and though I found a few I thought I would try to start a thread where we could all post reviews of our lighters. Might be a useful tool when folks are looking to replace or upgrade their torch. So here goes....

Xikar Trezo Inline Triple Flame Lighter

Type: Triple Flame (duh!)

MSRP: $99

I paid: $68

Pro's: MASSIVE heat from the torch, windproof, fuel window, easy-to-use flame adjustment, ease of filling, surprising fuel economy.

Con's: A bit pricey, pretty easy to "over-torch" when lighting until you get used to it.

Comments: Picked this lighter up as my Xmas present to myself over the holidays, and I have to say I love it! I have had several lighters at this point in my cigar smoking history, and this one has been far and away the best. Super easy to use & maintain - refilling is a breeze, and I find myself actually refilling less than with my old single flame lighters due to the fact that when you light with the Xikar Trezo, your cigar is lit NOW!

This lighter can produce insane heat, particularly if you don't keep the flame setting moderately low. Leave it up to high and you can over-light or over-toast your stogie. You also run the risk of scorching your moustache (ask me how I know! LOL). Once you get the hang of it (which doesn't take long, at least it didn't for me and I am not a rocket scientist by any stretch) this is an excellent lighter that I highly recommend.

The only con I can really think of is its price point - this one is going to cost you a bit of coin compared to a lot of lighters out there. IMHO, its just like anything else, you get what you pay for. When you factor in Xikar's lifetime warranty, I think its more than worth the money.

Hope this helped anyone who is considering purchasing the Trezo - cheers!

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Colibri Quantum Talon Lighter

Type: Single Flame

MSRP: $34.95

I paid: $30

Pro's: Good price point, attractive design, fuel window makes it easy to know when a refill is coming up, easy-to-use flame adjustment.

Con's: Flame height, fuel reservoir.

Comments: One of my first cigar torches, which I picked up from a local B&M for what I considered a fair price of $30. This design of lighter has been around for a couple years, so you can probably find it for $20-25 online at the time of this writing without a ton of effort. The design on this model is very eye catching, one that makes you notice it in a display case or when you see someone using it.

I felt there were two standout features on this lighter. First, the fuel window on this lighter is an actual WINDOW (the red portion of the lighter in the picture above) instead of just the small, "slit-type" on most lighters equipped with fuel window. This design makes it very easy to monitor where your fuel level is at and avoid the super frustrating mid-light "Oh **** - Im out of fuel!" most of us have probably experienced at one point point or another. Secondly, the fuel adjustment knob, which is the bottom portion of the lighter, is super easy to use.

Unfortunately, I found myself using these two great features. A LOT. While very cool looking, the fuel window, like the lighter itself is a bit on the smallish side. Add to this the fact that no matter how well I purged it, I could only get the fuel reservoir to fill up to the halfway point - due to this fact, it seemed like I had to refill the lighter every other time I lit a cigar.

Which was surprising, considering the flame was very low and not very intense when compared side by side with other lighters I have used. Even on its highest setting, your moustache is in NO DANGER of going up in flames.

This lighter will light a stogie, but you're gonna work for it. If you dont want to come off a huge amount of cash for a cigar torch, I suppose it will do the job, but I dont think I would make it my first choice.

Hope this helped anyone who is considering purchasing the Colibri Quantum Talon - cheers!

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Man Sniper, that sucks. I have had this same lighter in gray for about 5 years now, and it's absolutely bulletproof. It's my road lighter, and has been in my pocket through everything. That sucks that yours wasn't any good. I love mine
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    letsgowithbob:
    Man Sniper, that sucks. I have had this same lighter in gray for about 5 years now, and it's absolutely bulletproof. It's my road lighter, and has been in my pocket through everything. That sucks that yours wasn't any good. I love mine
    Cool, thanks for the feedback man - thats exactly the sort of thing this thread needs (along with more reviews of course!) in order to be something helpful & worthwhile. Its entirely possible that the one I got was just a dud.

• Just ordered a bugatti off of the site. The built in punch was an attractive feature for me, I'm exited for it, will post back with thoughts/review later.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a XiKar EX that I absolutely adore. It's light, but sturdy as heck. It also features a wind-proof soft flame, which is hugely attractive to me. I did some shopping around online, and found it for 35$ on sale somewhere. Between the wind proof soft flame, the attractive design, the sturdy construction, and the flawless XiKar warranty, I doubt I will ever need another lighter... Highly recommended, especially to the few guys among you who prefer a soft flame to gently toast your sticks.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bugatti that I got from here was great! However, after the 1st two tankfuls, it stopped working. I've bled and filled it numerous times, and still nothing. I think I might have gotten the rare Bugatti lemon.
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    Ronco Jet Lite... about $4 bucks in Wallmart. One word - BULLETPROOF
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    JimmyC:
    Ronco Jet Lite... about $4 bucks in Wallmart. One word - BULLETPROOF
    +1. I picked up two Jetlites from some guy on Ebay, about 6 months ago and they are amazing. There are no walmarts near me, so I went the ebay route because it was easier, even though more expensive than walmart. Both shipped for under $20 total. Good flame, sparks everytime, holds enough fuel to last a handful of cigars. I'm not a lighter expert, but all in all, the best bang for your buck that I've seen.

I also have an older model Colibri Firebird. Probably 5 years old, really not sure, but thats when I got it. Its very thin and wrapped in leather, and I got it as a freebie with a box purchase from another website before I found Ccom, so I don't even know the price point on this thing. All in all, its a really good single flame jet lighter, except for the fuel thing. I could only light about 2 cigars before having to fill it up again, which got old. so I'd reach for my zippo more often than not before I bought the jetlites. To be fair it could have been user error here, becuase I never tried to purge the tank. I really liked the lighters action. It was super clean and crisp, and it produced a great single flame. I actually thought I lost it over a year ago, but found it recently in a jacket pocket. Its now not working, but I'm going to get it fixed, becuase I did like the lighter alot. And so far with who I've spoken to at Colibri, they seem like a really stand up company. I feel like that should be added as well.

Lastly, someone's got to mention Zippos in a Lighters thread. I am a zippo guy. I know alot of people don't use them for cigars because they detect a funny taste, but I've been smoking more or less 1 cigar a week on average for the last 8 years and have used a zippo more than anything else. Admittedly I don't have most refined palate, but I never noticed a taste, and zippos are just about the most reliable thing out there. Only downside for me. . . . good luck trying to toast the foot in any sort of windy conditions.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    the xikar lighter looks cool. I tried to find a triple a while back and settled for a double from them. I like it though.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Just need to bring this back up to the top again to talk about how impressed I was with Colibri's customer service.

I finally got around to mailing back the Colibri Firebird to be repaired becuase of the faulty jet. Now kep in mind it worked perfectly, before I lost it, but the year or so out of service really killed it. Also keep in mind it was out of warranty, and I never registered the product with them. I called and asked how to send it back for repairs becuase I liked the lighter. They told me to drop it in the mail, drained of fluid along with a check of 9.50 for S&H and after they inspected it they'd send me a bill for the repairs, or a coupon to buy a new lighter. I was expecting to have to shell out $30 or $40 including shipping to get a $20 lighter fixed, but I was ok with that, becuase I liked it.

So friday evening I come home to a little box from them, and I open it up with a brand new Colibri Firebird, free of charge. I was blown away. This is a company I will always be able to support and just wanted to spread the good word.