Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

bad experience with MoW Virtue?

I just thought I'd start a thread to discuss recent experiences with this stick as there was starting to be a lot of crosstalk on the Ave Maria thread about MoW Virtues.

I ordered a 5 pack of salomon Virtues last week as part of a ccom daily deal and let them rest a week.

I got a really bad chemical taste intermittently through the halfway mark of the stick until the last 1/3rd until I let it die.

This is the first time I have tasted the dreaded chemical taste that many reviewers complain about regarding connies; I've NEVER had this problem with RP Vintage '99s, Oliva Conn. Reserves, et cetera.

I got them last week as part of ccom's 5 pack salomon deal and used a v-cut which might have been responsible for the too-tight draw I experienced as well.

I want to like this cigar because it gets rave reviews, it looks gorgeous, and it's something new for me.

I'm going to try one again in a few days, but with a guillotine cut to open up the draw a bit, but I'm worried this isn't going to do anything about that chemical taste. Does anyone know what causes or maximizes/minimizes that experience?

Comments

• Options
    I got the same chemical taste with the very first virtue i tried...was dissapointed because of all the hype...im happy to say however, I have had 2 virtues since then, and both have been amazing! (toro)...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Give them some more rest, I'd say at least a month. I've had some nasty tasting cigars that were simply too fresh and a bit of time has been the answer with them all.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Give them some more rest, I'd say at least a month. I've had some nasty tasting cigars that were simply too fresh and a bit of time has been the answer with them all.
    +1
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Funny, I had a bit of the same taste on a Virtue I had the other day and was wondering the same thing...
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a sampler of the mini salomon Virtues as well but haven't smoked any yet. Usually when I order cigars I let them rest at least a couple of months if not longer before smoking.

Typically a chemical/ammonia flavor is under-fermented or under-aged tobacco, one of which can go away with time in your humi and the other is un-fixable. Hopefully this is an example of under-aging and we'll all be enjoying our Virtues with a little rest under their belts, the ones I've had up until now have been damn tasty.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I must have gotten lucky, because all Ive gotten from the few Virtues Ive had was YUMMY... :-)

• Options
    My first Virtue was fresh off the truck. Pretty good smoke, but mild. Picked up in a little in body after the first third and remained very enjoyable. It's my go-to mild smoke when a Diesel or Triple A is just too much.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought 2 of the six packs that had all the vitolas in it when they were first released. I smoked one of those six packs relatively fresh. The toro and churchill were both plugged beyond anything I've ever experienced. Like I literally got no smoke. The robusto was pretty good. The other sizes were unremarkable. The other six pack I'm still sitting on. I'm not forming any definite opinions about it until I try those others.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    I bought 2 of the six packs that had all the vitolas in it when they were first released. I smoked one of those six packs relatively fresh. The toro and churchill were both plugged beyond anything I've ever experienced. Like I literally got no smoke. The robusto was pretty good. The other sizes were unremarkable. The other six pack I'm still sitting on. I'm not forming any definite opinions about it until I try those others.
    Were you reading my mind when I got mine? That's the exact same thing I'm doing. My experiences were a bit different though, all the sizes smoked well enough, but I enjoyed the toro and mini salamone the most...I think it was the toro, though maybe the robusto...hated the churchill and was not crazy about whatever other sizes there were. I'm waiting, like you, to smoke the other sampler before I make a definite judgment, but if I was pressed for one now I'd say I'm not impressed with the line.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Were you reading my mind when I got mine? That's the exact same thing I'm doing. My experiences were a bit different though, all the sizes smoked well enough, but I enjoyed the toro and mini salamone the most...I think it was the toro, though maybe the robusto...hated the churchill and was not crazy about whatever other sizes there were. I'm waiting, like you, to smoke the other sampler before I make a definite judgment, but if I was pressed for one now I'd say I'm not impressed with the line.
    Heh, yeah. I am trying to stay objective, but truth be told it's really going to have to shine on the second try to convince me. I just have to remember that a lot of AJ's stuff hasn't impressed me fresh, but after 6 months to a year has been really good. When did those come out? Last April? I'll have to check.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Virtue is a poor paring. Really a connie wrapper around a much fuller core of binder and filler? It's like eating an ice cream cone while drinking 15 year old scotch. I like me a mild connie and a full penn broafleaf wrapper, but I wouldn't try and mix the two.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a bad Virtue yet. Lots of black pepper, spice, cedar, and cream.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Was the chemical taste like ammonia (tastes like bleach smells sort of) or was it maybe tar (sort of tastes like old people smell, but bitter as well)? If ammonia, it is a sign that the cigar is too young, or the tobacco was not fully/properly fermented and cured. If tar, it can be any number of things, usually a draw that is too firm, due either to a cut that is too shallow or not wide enough, or improper filler construction.
  • Options
    The first and only Virtue I had was rested for around 4 months and I really enjoyed it. I hear that is about the time you want to try it anyways. Let the rest rest lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ctschirgi:
    Virtue is a poor paring. Really a connie wrapper around a much fuller core of binder and filler? It's like eating an ice cream cone while drinking 15 year old scotch. I like me a mild connie and a full penn broafleaf wrapper, but I wouldn't try and mix the two.
    i respectfully disagree.
    the blend is not just a MoW or a Ruination with a different wrapper.
    this cigar was blended to be mild-medium. it is its own blend. there is not a single bit of penn broad leaf in there.

ligero is in almost all cigars even if they are mild. there is a quality to that leaf that you cannot get without it. Ligero from some countries, such as equador, can be milder than viso from countries like nicaragua. remember, "ligero" does not mean that it is full bodied. "ligero" means it was taken from the top of the plant therefor its is the strongest leaf on THAT PLANT. that plant may be a weaker strain of tobacco grown in a country that produced less potent tobacco.