Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Alec Bradley Family Blend (one word review)

Blech!

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    ndhaon91:
    Blech!
    +1

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Ha! That seems to be my growing opinion of AB, but I haven't had the family blend or tempus maduro yet.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I have no clue how it got a 94 rating on CA...must be the advertising. Nothing but leather and wood...and it kept going out every 10 seconds.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I disagree entirely with all these statements. I've had probably 10-15 of the Family Blends in various sizes and I've though each one was fantastic. IMO one of the best newer cigars on the market.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I didn't think the Family Blend was bad, but I didn't think it was that good either. Just didn't do anything for me. Alec Bradley has been hit or miss for me though, I enjoy some but not others.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    So, I've only had one of these given to me by a fellow BOTL, who's a forum member here (thanks suneet), and I really liked it. So take my two cents with a grain of salt, since I've only had one and it was a while ago.

I could totally see how this cigar is a like it or hate it type of thing. If I remember right, it had an unusual mix of tobaccos (Indonesian binder maybe? I forget) so it definitely had an unsual taste to it. It was a few months ago, but I think I got a tangy sweetness added to alot of earhty tobacco flavors. Which I loved, but I could totally see this stick being received differently by alot of different people.

Even though, I loved it I'm also suprised it received a 94, since I could see it being a "love-it" or "hate-it" stick. I could see a 90, but 94 is pretty high. Although, I am pretty happy that CA is throwing around high ratings for cigars that don't cost an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I disagree entirely with all these statements. I've had probably 10-15 of the Family Blends in various sizes and I've though each one was fantastic. IMO one of the best newer cigars on the market.
    Same here...I had my first one Friday night...(torp). I thought it was a pretty good smoke. It didn't taste like the tempus, totally different imo. I loved that taste of it though and will be def getting more.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a favorite----but just below. Have to go with Puro and Kreig on this one.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Not a favorite----but just below. Have to go with Puro and Kreig on this one.
    lmao Don't say that very often huh? You're in good company though! :)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The FB was Ok with me, nothing that will put it in my top 10 but decent.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I think the Family Blend is great, especially at the price point. I think the prices are one of Alec Bradley's strong points, frankly. There are quite a few Alec Bradley cigars I enjoy quite a bit.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the price is worth it alone considering for $3/each I can get LHCOF, Diesel, MOW, etc. etc.
  • Options
    To me the price is perfect, because I think the Family Blend is much better than the LHCOF, Diesel, MOW, or any of the others along those lines... But when it comes right down to it, I try not to let price determine how much I like a cigar. I love the Opus and Anejo which are a little higher, but I also love the Ambos Mundos which are in the $5 range...
  • Options
    yeah man i really liked the cigar (tho a 94 rating is quite lofty). A bit surprised by some of the hate it is receiving here haha.

Smooth and flavorful, got another one resting in the humi that I have been craving.

I am however an AB fan (Tempus, SCR, Harvest Habano, Family Blend). The only one of theirs I didn't like was the Prensado and am yet to try the MAXX.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I totally agree on the tempus too. Only had one of them, but man, it was a tasty cigar.