Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor Quality

Has anyone used a Yukon humidor? I have a 25-40 stick desktop and I can't get the rh above 57%? I seasoned it, and have the round humidifier with the sponge in it that came with the unit with 50-50 pg solution and have added one drymistat tube. I have a 2 oz. heartfelt beads tube on the way to me - hoping that will help. Maybe it's just a cheap box?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    did you test the seal?
  • Options
    Yeah, with the only dollar bill in my battered wallet. There was good  resistance all the way around except one side --but even on that side there was some resistance, just not as good as the front & other side. Should it not be able to be pulled out at all or just offer some resistance? I also keep it in my office which stays about 72 daytime but might be drier than my home would probably be. I keep it on a metal shelf, sheltered from heat vent and my only window.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Do you have a digital hygrometer?

Did you calibrate this hygrometer?

Recently?

If you said yes to all these questions, I would be inclined to believe that the seal isn't that great.

HOWEVER --- I just ran into what I thought was a similar problem on my humidor. It wasn't keeping 65% like it had all summer long. In fact, it was only down around 58-60%. This was a sudden change within the last couple weeks.

I moved the sticks back to the Tupperdors (barely enough room), and re-seasoned the humidor. At the same time, I re-calibrated the hygrometer (which had been calibrated less than 2 months ago). The calibration shows that the hygrometer took a sudden 3% dive. Interestingly, this times itself right with when we switched from an air conditioner environment to a furnace environment. I have no idea if that's the reason, but that'd be another thing I'd ask you.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    dutyje:
    Interestingly, this times itself right with when we switched from an air conditioner environment to a furnace environment. I have no idea if that's the reason, but that'd be another thing I'd ask you.
    I was thinking the same thing. My room gets a lot drier when I have the heat on instead of when I am using the AC.

rogersmoke:
    Has anyone used a Yukon humidor? I have a 25-40 stick desktop and I can't get the rh above 57%? I seasoned it, and have the round humidifier with the sponge in it that came with the unit with 50-50 pg solution and have added one drymistat tube. I have a 2 oz. heartfelt beads tube on the way to me - hoping that will help. Maybe it's just a cheap box?
    Have you tried wiping it down with a damp cloth or sponge? You just wipe it. Don't soak it!
  • Options
    It's digital and the salt test puts it at 74% after 6 hours, so I'm OK there. Humidity in my office is about 40%-43% which could be an issue. So I can add the 1%, but it is still below 60. The last smoke was good, although there was some slight crackling of the wrapper when squeezed. If it is the seal, I might just need to load up with enough beads to make up for it. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    You may want to try re-seasoning your humidor... or wait a few more days until I can say conclusively that it helped my problem. I just put the sticks back in this morning, so I'll need to wait a bit to see if it's holding humidity better.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    rogersmoke:
    It's digital and the salt test puts it at 74% after 6 hours, so I'm OK there. Humidity in my office is about 40%-43% which could be an issue. So I can add the 1%, but it is still below 60. The last smoke was good, although there was some slight crackling of the wrapper when squeezed. If it is the seal, I might just need to load up with enough beads to make up for it. Thanks for the advice.

With a low room humidity like that I would bet that is your problem. Low Humidity / High heat. It funny that a room temp. in the summer which is considered nice and cool at say 70 -75 degrees feels, too cool in the fall or winter season. Is there any way you can increase the humidity of the room itself. That should help some at least.
  • Options
    I can always get a humidifier, which I have considered. My new tube of 2% beads should be here in a few days, so I am at least going throw that in as extra humidification to see if it goes up. I only need to raise it about 4%-6%.