Home Cigar 101
Options

Charging/Recharging Beads

Well I took the plunge and am going to convert to beads for humidification but had a question on charing and recharging the beads.

For those that mist: Do you mist the beads while in the pouches, or transfer them to a larger container that you can mix them around in?

For those that add a distilled H20 source to the humi: Do you always keep the distilled water in the humi, or only add it at a trigger point? If so what trigger (1% lower RH than usual "range" for example)?

I'm asking because I wanted to avoid misting in order to increase bead life. To that end I attempted to do my initial charging of the beads by placing them in a ziploc with an open distilled water source. After almost 1 week very few of the beads had turned clear, so I dumped one of the pouches (1/2lb) into a tupperware and misted them. I would like to avoid having to dump, mist, stir in the future if at all possible and either gently mist the outside or optimally just allow them to absorb from an open distilled water source.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    when mine drops 2% or so I just put a small dish of water in when, it goes back up I take the water out. I do not mist.
  • Options
    Mine to a nose dive when our outside humidity dropped a few months ago. I took the beads out. used two big dishes and sprayed them slowly till 70% or so where clear.
    I did read in European Cigar Journal that the white of the beads is in fact salt and this is what helps maintain the humidity. If you over soak them the salt washes off.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    rossdavey2:
    I did read in European Cigar Journal that the white of the beads is in fact salt and this is what helps maintain the humidity. If you over soak them the salt washes off.
    Not sure about this, since I read the opposite (can't remember where tho') - the beads are manufactured that the salts don't wash off, that they're somehow bonded. Also read that that even if you soak the beads in water instead of misting, which will cause them to crack over time, they'll still work as well as if they were whole, but they won't look as nice.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive put distilled directly on my beads for the last 5 years with no problems whatsoever. they work if they are cracked so i dont care if they do. i add water when my RH dips below the RH that the beads are designed to maintain.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm old and set in my ways but it always amazes me that you guys go to so much effort, worry, and consternation about how to use the beads. Eventually, you'll get tired of hearing me say it (if you aren't already), but if you'd only use the beads as they were intended to be used it would make your life a lot simpler.

The beads from Heartfelt, for example, are the kind engineered to be used in museums to keep paintings and other delicate pieces at the proper humidity - to preserve them for the future. Do you honestly believe a museum would have personnel whose function is to go around pouring water on the beads??

The beads work equally well by absorbing moisture out of the air or releasing it into the air, as the situation demands. The easiest way to "recharge" the beads is to simply place a container of water (distilled, if that's what you believe) into the area requiring RH control. If the beads are too dry, they'll absorb moisture. If they're not, they won't. Once you get to a point where the RH stays at a level higher than what the beads were designed for for more than a couple days, remove the container of water. What could be simpler?

It's been well over a year since I've poured water on my beads and I have no problems with my RH. I simply do what I've outlined above.

I know Kuzi disagrees with me on the question of distilled vs. tap water and, to a degree, he's right. Using my method, minerals and other unwanted elements can't get into my beads because only the moisture travels through the air to get to the beads. The unwanted stuff stays behind. That wouldn't happen, though, with tap water being poured directly onto the beads. If you lived in a part of the country where the water quality isn't so good, though, even my method wouldn't be desirable because of bad odors, etc. present in the water.

I once lived in a part of Florida where the water had a strong smell of sulphur. Imagine how good that would make your sticks taste.

So use the water of your choice but save yourself some effort and try my method. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Marty

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I use Marty's technique, made sense to me when I first started and it's a piece of cake.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with doing it that way. i just never have. most of the time i dont have room in the humidor to place a dish.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    kuzi16:
    nothing wrong with doing it that way. i just never have. most of the time i dont have room in the humidor to place a dish.

Kuzi, the apparatus I was going to use for this is a plastic to-go soufle cup (I believe it's ~2oz). Picked up a couple from a cafeteria. Cutting the center of the lid out gives you some splash protection while still allowing vapor to escape and it fits very well in the drawers of my humi (no other dishware I have does).

Just a thought!
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    For my small 20 count humi, I use a bottled water cap; it's small and works fine.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    part of the reason I went with heartfelt is they advocate just dousing the beads - as opposed to more time consuming - pain in the ass methods.
  • Options
    I just dunk mine in distilled water and shake off the excess, quick and easy. Been doing this for about a year and never have a problem.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I mist them and I just leave them in the bag, open up the draw string. Mist and mix a couple times and thats it.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mist mine in the bag. I have no room for dishes or even a bottle cap of water. Distilled water until they turn clear. With winter being here I have to do it about once a week or so.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jlmarta:
    I know I'm old and set in my ways but it always amazes me that you guys go to so much effort, worry, and consternation about how to use the beads. Eventually, you'll get tired of hearing me say it (if you aren't already), but if you'd only use the beads as they were intended to be used it would make your life a lot simpler.

The beads from Heartfelt, for example, are the kind engineered to be used in museums to keep paintings and other delicate pieces at the proper humidity - to preserve them for the future. Do you honestly believe a museum would have personnel whose function is to go around pouring water on the beads??

The beads work equally well by absorbing moisture out of the air or releasing it into the air, as the situation demands. The easiest way to "recharge" the beads is to simply place a container of water (distilled, if that's what you believe) into the area requiring RH control. If the beads are too dry, they'll absorb moisture. If they're not, they won't. Once you get to a point where the RH stays at a level higher than what the beads were designed for for more than a couple days, remove the container of water. What could be simpler?

It's been well over a year since I've poured water on my beads and I have no problems with my RH. I simply do what I've outlined above.

I know Kuzi disagrees with me on the question of distilled vs. tap water and, to a degree, he's right. Using my method, minerals and other unwanted elements can't get into my beads because only the moisture travels through the air to get to the beads. The unwanted stuff stays behind. That wouldn't happen, though, with tap water being poured directly onto the beads. If you lived in a part of the country where the water quality isn't so good, though, even my method wouldn't be desirable because of bad odors, etc. present in the water.

I once lived in a part of Florida where the water had a strong smell of sulphur. Imagine how good that would make your sticks taste.

So use the water of your choice but save yourself some effort and try my method. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Marty

+1 for this method. I have been using it and advocating it for a couple of years now. The only difference in my method would be that I use a bottle of distilled water and leave it in my coolerdor. When I need to (not very often) I just open the bottle for a few days and when the beads recharge themselves I close it again. Couldn't be any easier then that IMO.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ive put distilled directly on my beads for the last 5 years with no problems whatsoever. they work if they are cracked so i dont care if they do. i add water when my RH dips below the RH that the beads are designed to maintain.
    +! I use 70% beads. That keeps my humi 67%-70%. (In the Winter I add some Water Pillows if I need to). I add Distilled H20 when my Humi reads 66%.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I use the heartfelt tubes and I just put them in a big ziplock and submerge them in tap water for a minute and shake off the excess. Works perfectly.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Bump with a question....

Got some Conservagel Beads for my humi and coolers, and have had them in for a week and a half now. The RH in my humi has stayed steady at 69%, but my cooler jumped to 74-75% and has stayed there the whole time. I got the 65% beads so my question is are they overcharged, and I just need to leave them alone to adjust more? I have just taken out the shot glass of distilled water to see if that works. Or is there a chance I have gotten the wrong RH beads?

I know everyone gets tired of these questions, but it is hard to read every thread about beads to find the answer to ones situation. Thanks in advance for any advice....
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    Bump with a question....

Got some Conservagel Beads for my humi and coolers, and have had them in for a week and a half now. The RH in my humi has stayed steady at 69%, but my cooler jumped to 74-75% and has stayed there the whole time. I got the 65% beads so my question is are they overcharged, and I just need to leave them alone to adjust more? I have just taken out the shot glass of distilled water to see if that works. Or is there a chance I have gotten the wrong RH beads?

I know everyone gets tired of these questions, but it is hard to read every thread about beads to find the answer to ones situation. Thanks in advance for any advice....
    If you have not charged the beads themselves then removing the shot glass should help in time.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to start doing what you do Doug. When My beads dry up , I usually spray them with a bottle every month. But in my cabi I'm just going to leave a little bottle in there with water and unscrew it every now and again. I hate having to reach in the back on the top/middle/bottom and spray the beads. (I'm lazy I know).
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I use the mist method. I keep them in an unused cigar coffin that I lined with the bottom of a cut ziploc bag. It works great because roughly the shape of a cigar and it fits well almost like a divider in my trays. I know martys method may work for him and others but in the winter it just doesn't work for me. Possibly the cooler temps don't let enough distilled water evaporate from the cup when I place it in the humi. I use conservagel,
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I have 3 or 4 shot glasses full of beads in my humi at any time... if I dont have space to place a shot glass with distilled water in for a few days, I simply pull a shot glass out full of beads, and place it in a tupperware container with a bit of distilled water in there. Leave it over night, your solid. I re-charged my beads back in February, open my humi every single day... Have not had to recharge since. solidly 68-69% rh every single day.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cut the ends of stockings, fill them with beads and use a mister to spray dist. water....I usually spray some in the pouch, mix the beads up and spray some on the outter stocking, dry off and put back in...
  • Options
    laker1963:
    CvilleE:
    Bump with a question....

If you have not charged the beads themselves then removing the shot glass should help in time.
    I did not charge them when I received them. It has been 3 days without the shot glass, and still steady at 74%. Guess I need to charge them....
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think he meant charging will make it worse C. If they weren't charged I know some say they ship precharged so just open the humi a few times a day to drop the humidity and make the beads work off that excess water they have in them. If your humidity is high you don't want to charge, it will only make things worse Imho.I'm assuming you live somewhere where the ambient humidity is below 70 rh correct.
  • Options
    blurr:
    I think he meant charging will make it worse C. If they weren't charged I know some say they ship precharged so just open the humi a few times a day to drop the humidity and make the beads work off that excess water they have in them. If your humidity is high you don't want to charge, it will only make things worse Imho.I'm assuming you live somewhere where the ambient humidity is below 70 rh correct.
    Right....but I'm really beginning to think I may have gotten the wrong rh level beads....this should be easy from what I'm reading, but I'm working at this....
  • Options
    beads DO soak up humidity, but they do it slowly. it is more difficult for them to capture moisture than it is to release it.
    i always kept my beads under charged to aid with this. the less charged they are the more humidity they can soak up and faster. even then, dont expect a quick fix. once it gets to the correct Rh it will be steady. if you put beads in a humidor that is at 75% and has a shot glass in it, it will be a while before the Rh comes down.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    same here, i just pour my distilled water over my beads. In the winter time, I add an extra shot glass of water to my humidor to help maintain RH.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16:
    beads DO soak up humidity, but they do it slowly. it is more difficult for them to capture moisture than it is to release it.
    i always kept my beads under charged to aid with this. the less charged they are the more humidity they can soak up and faster. even then, dont expect a quick fix. once it gets to the correct Rh it will be steady. if you put beads in a humidor that is at 75% and has a shot glass in it, it will be a while before the Rh comes down.
    The shot glass was supposed to be removed. If he is still using a shot glass full of Dis. water and the RH won't come down then...

When I read this post the first time I thought you said the humi were good at 69% but your cooler made the big jump? If that is the case and nothing has changed the RH of your cooler then I am guessing you have nowhere near enough beads for the size of your cooler. How big is your cooler and how many pounds of beads are you using in it?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    The shot glass was supposed to be removed. If he is still using a shot glass full of Dis. water and the RH won't come down then...

When I read this post the first time I thought you said the humi were good at 69% but your cooler made the big jump? If that is the case and nothing has changed the RH of your cooler then I am guessing you have nowhere near enough beads for the size of your cooler. How big is your cooler and how many pounds of beads are you using in it?
    60 qt with 1 1/2 pounds of beads.
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

60 qt with 1 1/2 pounds of beads.
    If you have removed the shotglass of water then the RH should come down and stabilize. If you sprayed your beads (i don't know that) then you may have to dry them some if the RH stays high. You can do this with a blow dryer on low and don't get too close or they scatter. LOL. The other thing may be where your beads are in the cooler. I have mine spaced out to either end with some sitting on the floor of the cooler while the other sits atop a couple of boxes so I can have it raised up to the mid to top portion of the cooler. You may also consider where your hygrometer is measuring from. I have three hugrometers in my cooler but it is rather large. But by being so large it can and does have different RH zones according to the hygrometers. The main consideration is how your sticks are, because a point or two on the hygrometer can make you crazy if you worry about it too much. Even the beads when dialed in will vary +/= 2 points so with a hygrometer out by a point or two as well you may be chasing your tail a bit. How are your sticks smoking from the cooler as compared to one of your humi's?