Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

El Primer Mundo Criollo Maduro Robusto: Quick Review

I am by no means an expert at either reviewing cigars, or necessarily identifying the finer flavor notes therein, but wanted to post a few quick sentences about this particular cigar, since I found it to be fantastic and I'm sure it's off many people's radar.

Tim (JacketsRule from the forum) was handing these out at the SE Herf we had back in August. Between the Maduro and Connie I took the maduro. Beautiful chocolate brown wrapper on a nice box pressed robusto.

At the time of smoking the cigar had ~4.5 months of rest on it in my humidor, but to me it doesn't taste like it needed it and may be good right out of the box.

The first 2 thirds of this cigar present some great straight-forward espresso and chocolate notes that dance around a bit in presentation. The espresso comes through as the true Italian drink, or sometimes changing to more of just a black dark roast coffee. The chocolate notes stay consistently med-dark: something not at the uppper end of Cocoa concentrations but still notably DARK. The body is a solid meduim to med-full with a moderate finish.

The final third brought about some real complexity as some woody and cedary notes began to emerge. I had to work to keep from increasing my smoking rate as I really wanted dig into the complexity. I managed to keep a good pace, and the cigar never got hot. Towards the nub I got some bitterness, but in all fairness I was well beyond where a cigar should be expected to perform.

Construction and burn were spot on. No issues whatsoever with the box press and no more touching-up than I would consider "normal" for smoking outside in the cold. I'm a slow smoker but this robusto kept me warm company for a good 95 minutes.

The brand is distributed by B&M (http://primermundocigars.com/about.html for a list) and I would definitely recommend giving it a try. I'm going to pick up a few more of the maduros next time I'm at the shop, then branch to the connie if they continue to smoke as well as this one.

Thanks for passing this my way Tim!