Home General Discussion
Options

New guy

ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks, since I discovered cigar.com and placed my first order. I was directed to cigar.com because I was searching for Cusano 18 cigars. They are a favorite that I was able to get pretty easily in Southern California, but I moved to Louisiana and couldn't find them anywhere, so I emailed the company and got replies from Justin, and from Joe Cusano recommending I order from here.

Since I was placing an order, I decided to stock up to maximize the value on shipping, and get the free Sol Cubano Sampler. I got a box of Cusano 18 Double Connecticut Robustos, a couple of Nubs to try, a couple of Cuvee Blancs at Joe Cusano's recommendation, and about 10 other random cigars to try. I placed another order a few days later to get the Friday Deal with the Cusano pre-release sampler. My humidor is now pretty full, so I've decided to smoke some inventory and develop a better idea of what I really like before I order more (and of course, get a bigger humidor).

This is before I added the Cusano pre-release sampler, so its even more crowded now.

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Welcome to the board. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it on here. Everyone is friendly and pretty knowledgable.

Looks like you have a pretty good selection from what I can identify too, so that should give you a nice idea of what you like and what you don't. Pryme by Alec Bradley, a great cigar, one of my favs. CAO america, another excellent cigar. Always liked the Toranos too. Now the Oliva, I haven't tried but I have one in my humidor, just waitin til she's ready.

Also, I only see one tube of beads. It is probably enough but I would personally add another just for good measure.
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I usually have a 2nd tube of beads in there, but its in my travel humidor to help season it right now since the tiny piece of oasis doesn't seem up to the task. There is also a small jar of "Madelaine's" PG crystals in the space in front of the CAO America. I've always used just distilled water in it, not PG solution in it. I did it because it was cheaper, but it seems the opinion here is that it's better anyway. Is there any problem with using different kinds of crystals/beads in the same box?

Since you recommend the Pryme, I might smoke it next. It's one of the few thats been in my humidor for more than a week. It was given to me as part of a farewell gift when I moved, so I don't know much about it.

• Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Scrambler, looks like you got a nice combination of cigars going on there. Enjoy and welcome to the Forum.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    thats an interesting humidor design, never seen one that stores the cigars in that way.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    jihiggs:
    thats an interesting humidor design, never seen one that stores the cigars in that way.
    Kind of what I thought when I first saw the pic. I wonder if there is any merit to storing sticks in the upright position. If you have a bunch of different sticks it makes it easier to grab the one you want without shuffling through the others, but on the other hand, you can't read the bands as readily.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Looks like it is just set up differently with the movable cedar dividers. Not sure. Also, I thought I read something a good while ago that said laying the sticks horizontally was better if you were going to let them rest or age for any length of time. Also not 100% sure of this. Possibly someone else here knows more on this?
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    pilot711:
    Looks like it is just set up differently with the movable cedar dividers. Not sure. Also, I thought I read something a good while ago that said laying the sticks horizontally was better if you were going to let them rest or age for any length of time. Also not 100% sure of this. Possibly someone else here knows more on this?
    I've read and heard the same thing about storing cigars.....always in the horizontal postion...btw welcome to the site
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hey Scrambler, welcome to the boards :)

By the way, I too have read that horizontil is the best for long term storage. So if you plan on having those sticks done in under 1-3 months, I would say you are fine. If you want to age them a year +, then you might want to think about a conversion kit, or a different humi for aging, one for ready access.
  • Options

I hadn't considered that storing the cigars upright might be bad for them. I like the humidor because its different, and because its quicker to get to a specific cigar, especially if you know where it is. If you dont know exactly where the cigar is, you can lift on a divider and it lifts up that row of cigars, so you can see the bands from the side.

I'll see how my consumption goes, and consider getting a second humidor for longer term storage.

Thanks for the welcomes.

• Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Hi Scrambler. Welcome to cigar.com
    -Dave