Home General Discussion
Options

Suggestions for "when friends are over" cigars?

So like the title says, I'm looking to pick up a few cigars that would be good for sharing with friends. At the moment my humidor has pretty much 2 different kinds of cigars in it. They're all either A) a stick from one of the couple of boxes I bought that I'm aging or B) a single I bought for the purposes of trying out different brands. I don't really want to pass out my singles for obvious reasons, and I don't feel comfortable passing out cigars that obviously still need more time in a humidor. I do have about 15 or so 5 Vegas Series A Apostles that are pretty darn tasty and don't really need aging, but then again most of my friends are pretty reluctant to smoke an entire Churchill.

So I figured I'd ask you guys for some suggestions as to some decent smokes that would be good to always have on hand for when I'm entertaining friends.

Also keep in mind that I'm a poor college student, so I can't afford to go around giving my friends Opus Xs or anything like that. :-P

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The 5 Vegas are a good idea. I'd also suggest the Camacho 1962 perfecto. They're reasonably priced, not strong, darn tasty, and the perfecto shape would be particularly fun for a bunch of guys who don't smoke. They'd feel like they were in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
  • Options
    I agree, 5 Vegas are a good choice. Not too expensive, good quality and a mild smoke that's not going to scare anybody off.
  • Options
    urbino:
    The 5 Vegas are a good idea. I'd also suggest the Camacho 1962 perfecto. They're reasonably priced, not strong, darn tasty, and the perfecto shape would be particularly fun for a bunch of guys who don't smoke. They'd feel like they were in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
    Yeah I like em plenty. It's Series A so it has that lovely inviting chocolate/coffee taste to it that makes it easy to get into. Only problem is that I've only got Apostles (7x50) at the moment and only one or two of my friends smoke regularly enough to actually finish one. And thanks for the Camacho suggestion, tried a Cojoro Ltd 8/22 last friday and if that's anything to go by the 1962s would be a good choice. I'll have to pick some up and try em out.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    1, have friends that smoke cigars.
    2- see part 1
    3, umm not sure since no friends of mine smoke cigars, see part 1
    Yeah, I'm not much help, but I know I've got a few people to smoke my kahlua's, since they are infused and all. They aren't that much but they are tasty, I like 'em.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Oliva Serie G, one of my favorites, the Punch punch, 5 Vegas Classic or Gold. Those are all relatively inexpensive and are pretty good in my opinion. Another to think about, though I've not had one yet, is the standard Arturo Fuente line, maybe the 8-5-8. Obviously there is an abundance of good, reasonably priced cigars out there, so this shouldn't be much of a challenge finding something good.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Feebs:
    I've got a few people to smoke my kahlua's
    Ahem.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cusano 18
    Drew estates La Vieja habanna
    5 vegas classic
    CAO gold
    Fuente Gran Reserva
    La Aroma de Cuba
    Gispert Natural (cheap and good. mild too for your non smoking buddies)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Feebs:
    I've got a few people to smoke my kahlua's
    Ahem.
    lol, yeah I just read that again, nice one urby, always can count on ya!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Oliva Serie G, one of my favorites, the Punch punch, 5 Vegas Classic or Gold. Those are all relatively inexpensive and are pretty good in my opinion. Another to think about, though I've not had one yet, is the standard Arturo Fuente line, maybe the 8-5-8. Obviously there is an abundance of good, reasonably priced cigars out there, so this shouldn't be much of a challenge finding something good.
    I thought about recommending the punch punch as well since I enjoyed it so much and it has a great flavor and price, however it's a bit strong I'm not sure if other newbies would like it as much.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Wafflebob:
    j0z3r:
    I thought about recommending the punch punch as well since I enjoyed it so much and it has a great flavor and price, however it's a bit strong I'm not sure if other newbies would like it as much.
    Perhaps it is a bit strong the the new smoker, I just can't help but recommend that one at every turn since I like it so much.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    For the "don't smoke" friends I'd recommend something like a ccom purple or cuban label... The cuban label would be my personal choice... It'll give 'em something to try out and a great smoke at that, but in the same respect they won't feel bad if they take a few draws and set it down for the rest of the night...

For friends that do smoke cigars, the first thing that comes to mind are Nub.. Great cigars in my opinion but relatively inexpensive... I personally love the cameroon label, but the connecticut is good too...

Another thought would be Don Pepin Cuban Classic... A little higher price, but a great smoke and more "traditional" than the Nub...

Last but not least, you can't in my opinion go wrong with the Rocky Patel line... The RP Sungrowns or Connecticuts would be another relatively inexpensive but great choice...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    More suggestions on top of what's already been covered:

Flor de Oliva
    Sol Cubano Sumatra, Connecticut
    Nestor Reserve Maduro
    Onyx Reserve
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    This question is probably the most frequently asked one on this forum, and the 5 Vegas Classic always makes the list for good reasons.. They are enjoyed by rookies as well as long time smokers.. I would add Fonseca, probably the 8-9-8 because of the smaller size, very nice in my opinion, as well as Baccarat for the true non-smokers. The sweet tip may not be for true cigar lovers, but they have a great taste and mildness that will be enjoyed. All three can be had for a lower price. ( about three bucks each or less) in a box purchase.
  • Options
    Robusto size incase they're not into and they don't want to sit there forever.

Flor De Oliva: Cheap like $1.80 a stick and darn tasty
    Cuesta Rey
    Nub line is pretty inexpensive
    Oliva series G
    Fuente 8-5-8 Natural
    Padron 3000

If you feel like **** with one of them get a Camacho Diploma.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:

Cuesta Rey
    Oliva series G
    Fuente 8-5-8 Natural
    Padron 3000

I would add Don't let them smoke that Camacho in your house, car, or near anything that you won't mind throwing away. Seriously.
  • Options
    Wafflebob:
    j0z3r:
    I just recently tried the oliva serie G stick myself as well and holy crap is that a damn fine cigar. There are lots of good cheap sticks out there, you just have to give them a chance. I wish I had more time to smoke. I guess thats why I like petit/tinned cigars so well.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    These Filthy Hands:

Cuesta Rey
    Oliva series G
    Fuente 8-5-8 Natural
    Padron 3000

I would add Don't let them smoke that Camacho in your house, car, or near anything that you won't mind throwing away. Seriously.
    I'm not familar with this particular cigar, that bad, or just that strong.....cause if its that strong i want one lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ebitler:
    kaspera79:
    These Filthy Hands:

Cuesta Rey
    Oliva series G
    Fuente 8-5-8 Natural
    Padron 3000

I'm not familar with this particular cigar, that bad, or just that strong.....cause if its that strong i want one lol
    that strong.

the smell does linger though.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I couldnt agree more with the Oliva Serie G, that's a damn fine smoke. I also reccommend: Drew Estate Java: Purist or not, ive converted alot of my friends with these Rocky Patel Vintage 92: If they're a GOOD friend and not one of my cigar mooching buddies Sol Cubano Connecticut: For the aforementioned mooches... Cusano 18 Double Connecticut: Mild and easy to smoke, usually a blanket crowd pleaser I've had a few buddies want to try a Brazillian label after i fire it up too.
  • Options
    Sounds like one that is worth a try