Home Cigar 101

History Lesson, Cool Gift, Need Info

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Whats up fellas? A friend of mine at work brought me in a REALLY cool present today... he knows Im a big fan of cigars. This guy is originally from the Netherlands, and it turns out that decades ago his family was in the cigar business - he claims it was no big operation. Anyway, my buddy returned froma trip back to the Netherlands this week and look at what he brought me...

Was totally jazzed by this awesome gift!!! From noodling around the World Wide InterWeb, I have found out that this thing likely dates from somewhere between the 1920's and the 1950's, and is priced somewhere between about $30 to $120.

While that info was cool, I (and my buddy) would be much more interested in finding out the history of this thing. The mold mentions Mannheim & Schwetzingen, both of which are in Germany - however, like I said my friend & his family are Dutch. Were these molds a common use thing in Eurpoe? Can they be traced back to a certain cigar maker? How cool would it be to find out that Pete Johnson in particular or Tatuaje in general got their start where my buddy is from, or that they are actually related somehow?!?!

I realize this is not Antiques Roadshow or geneolgy.com, but if anyone can shed any light on this mold or point me in the right direction (NOT an ebay web site or the like that is just trying to sell them) I would be most appreciative.

Thanks fellas!

Comments

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    That's awesome! I need new friends.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Damn that's a cool gift!! Good luck on finding out its history.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Cool. "Snipey". Try contacting this guy. http://www.nationalcigarmuseum.com/Site/NCM_HOME.html
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    That is awsome and you have a great friend ...
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Cool. "Snipey". Try contacting this guy. http://www.nationalcigarmuseum.com/Site/NCM_HOME.html
    This is what I was gonna suggest too. Tony Hyman (curator of the National Cigar Museum web site) has a section in every Cigar Magazine called "Cigar-Bage or Cigar-Tifact?" He seems to have pretty extensive knowledge of this kind of stuff. Nice gift!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'know, this should have been on the "Deal" thread Vulchor started, oh, maybe not, that's on Non-cigar related. Sweet gift, though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    nice gift man! I hope when I build my cigar room someday that I can find some stuff like this to add to the room.

"Long ashes my friends."

• bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    I deal in antiques, and picked a similiar cigar press...sometime I'll take the time to figure out how to post a picture, and perhaps put it up. Ironically I have had it longer than I have realy smoked cigars :) A lot of the time it is just being in the right place at the right time and know what stuff is.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    skweekz:
    KCW:
    This is what I was gonna suggest too. Tony Hyman (curator of the National Cigar Museum web site) has a section in every Cigar Magazine called "Cigar-Bage or Cigar-Tifact?" He seems to have pretty extensive knowledge of this kind of stuff. Nice gift!
    Thanks for the point in the right direction fellas, I will get in contact with this gentleman and see if he can shed any light on this. I will be sure to let everyone know what I find out.

• ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    skweekz:
    KCW:
    Thanks for the point in the right direction fellas, I will get in contact with this gentleman and see if he can shed any light on this. I will be sure to let everyone know what I find out.

Already beat me to it, but that man pretty knowledgeable and will be able to help you out. Hopefully we will be reading about this in the summer issue