Home General Discussion

The Humidor and the B&M...

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So this weekend I wandered into a shop that is a little ways from my house but since I was in the area I thought, why not take a gander. I use to go to this place but from what I remember it had less inventory, but during this visit I really felt like I was in heaven. Now I've always liked this place, it has it's own humidified cigar room where you can browse through open boxes and the smell, is very very nice! Now after spending a small fortune, I took a gander at the humis (since I'm looking to get one) and saw the exact one that I'm waiting to order from the same company. Now I can get it from the company for 100 dollars plus another 12 or so on shipping but at this shop it is 180. I asked if it had been seasoned, and I was told no. Now the hygrometer on the front reads about 66% so that may just be coincidence. Anyway I love this place, they staff is friendly and it's the best damn place in my entire area (that I know of) so I really want to support the shop but 80 dollars more is a lot to me. From anyone's experience have you ever been able to negotiate? Would anyone eat the difference just to support their shop? I'm thinking I'm going to be buying a lot more cigars there and very soon since most of which I have on my want list they have so I know I'll be supporting them, but I would rather spend the 80 dollar difference on cigars rather than on just the same humi.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The extra cash would start to fill the humidor nicely.. I would never try to negotiate with the shop owner, because evey time he sees you he will think " here's that guy that's always looking to get something from me.." instead be the steady customer who buys cigars every week. Keep the humidor deal to yourself.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, I'm with Kas on this one. Order the Humi online and save the 80 bucks, then if you have it to spend, go to the shop and put it into some new smokes to stock that sucker with. Then you will have your new Humi and some new smokes, plus you are still helping to support the local shop.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

1 shop i buy from on a regular basis give me a 10% discount for being a regular. another close to work has a cigar club membership (no charge) that gives a 10% disc on all purchases, free cigar on birthday, and runs a daily special (different every day). wouldn't hurt to ask if your shop has something like this available,if so then great,if not then your not really asjing for a discount.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with them.

thats all
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah that is what I was thinking as well. I just wish there wasn't such an over-head on the humidors.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yea but there is nothing like the ability to buy one stick and smoke it when you get with a group of guys in a B&M.

that is what those places are for isnt it?