Home Ratings & Reviews

Best Cigar of my Life

Hey all, fairly new here as well as being a novice smoker, 2-3 months now, and I must say, I just had the best smoke ever. I figured tonight would be a great nice for self-indulgence seeing as its a boring tuesday night. I started it off by going to my local restaurant with my wife and ordering a steak and shrimp platter. Needless to say that alone was delicious but this isn't about my dinner. I arrived home knowing tonight would be the night I smoke my Padron 1926. Now what's so special about this cigar is that I bought it from my local tobacco shop (80 Miles away) as it was the "2009 Cigar of the Year". I bought it because from what in the cigar business I've had are just your basic acids, diesels, and alot of samplers so far as I'm looking for a Go-To brand. But it came to my attention as the owner was telling me how its easily worth it's money and we talked about it for awhile and he sold me on it. (sucker..) It's a medium-full bodied cigar and I loved every moment of the $27 I spent on it. From start to finish I was in love with it. From its effortless draw to its even burn. I'm not one for describing its taste down to the "raisins" and "earthy" tastes, but I can tell you it was amazing. I know its not an in-depth review but I feel as if I have to inform you all of it! image Critique and tips would be great to know for my next reviews

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great smoke! I'm farily new myself and do occasional casual reviews. I leave the very in-depth reviews for the veterans around here.
    Light 'em up.
  • The best cigar I've ever had was a 1926 Padron 80th anniversary. That was amazing! Their 1964 anniversary is a slight step down, but still amazing. And their 000 series is unbelievable for the price too - the Padron 3000 is roughly $4/cigar. Overall, Padron is by far my favorite brand. Glad you loved the 1926!
  • Try the '64 maduros. Cheaper and almost as good, maybe better in some cases. Try the Exclusivo, Principe, and Imperial.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The 2009 Cigar of the year (I assume you mean in CA?) was the Padron Family Reserve 45th... not the 1926. In 2007, the 1926 no. 9 was the cigar of the year though.
  • I think by cigar of the year he must have meant personal or business wise.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    You really can't go wrong with a Padron!!
  • 100% agree with you man, Padrons are simply phenomenal. Only time I ever bought a box was for the Padron 1964.

Tried a few cigars around the similar price point, if not higher, only to be disappointed.

And I hate the fact that Nica Libre tries to copy Padrons style/band.
  • Oh forgot to mention...I managed to get a hand on the 45 yr Anniversary Padron from a B&M...can't wait to smoke that one, I think it is number 2 or 3 in Cigar Afficianados 2010 rating.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic cigar and if you haven't had a 64, try one. The 26 is a bit bolder in terms of profile and flavors. The 64 is slightly more mellow and subdued, but still has those beautiful leathery, earthy notes.
  • yeah I've got a couple nica libres piled up in my humi from past samplers and I can't say its anything like a padron, I'll have to try one tomorrow and see.
  • nailsnails Posts: 18
    I've been smoking cigars for 10 years.It took me 1 year to find the Padron Line.At that time they had a fumas cigar in their line and it was a great cheap cigar.I started with the 2000 and soon switched to the 3000.I've tried all the anniversarys that have come out.They were all great but not worth my money.In 9 years of Padron I have never had a off cigar-incredible quality control.Last week I tried my first Nica Libre-If you took the band off I'd swear I was smoking a Padron.Being retired I have to take advantage of the cost savings.Padron gave me great qualuity for nine years.I have to switch.Nica Libre just gives me a savings I can't ignore.Thanks Padron.Bring back the Fumas-a great farm smoke.Rough but tasty and it got a lot of us started.
  • let me know what you think of the Nicas...the reviews on the forums are either love/hate...more hate it seems tho.

The label and box pressing of the Nica's is very reminiscent of the Padrons, and even on the CC catalogues they promote both Padrons and Nicas on the same page.

BTW...tonight is a 1964 Padron night for me haha, it has been a long time.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like the 26 maduros myself. If you can, give the 26 80th a try. I've only had the maddy but I think it's like one of the best cigars I've ever had. Much better than the regular 26. Also the family reserves are good too.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I really enjoy the 64 maddy so much I just picked up a box. The best I have ever bought and spending the same amount on several accations I have never found a cigar even close to it in its price range.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Im a big fan of the 64, tho I havent tried the 26
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    +1 to trying their 000 series; I love the 4000 maduro, but I also like the Nica Libre line - I wouldn't say it's exactly like Padron, but the taste profile is similar, they taste pretty good, and they're a lot cheaper than Padron's
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, guess I'll have to sample some of these too. If the 26 is bolder I may start there. Man I am going broke hanging around here.