Home General Discussion
Options

The Man of War "Award" Story

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
Since we get new BOTL joining here regularly and they ask from time to time what the MOW "Badge" is about I wanted to give a brief history of how this came about for the new guys who would like to take the challenge.

Here it is:

The original MOW challenege of smoking a Virtue, Original blend, and Ruination in the same day was created on this forum, and an army of regulars who love this stick began to take the challenge, so we became an "army" of MOW lovers and you were awarded the MOW "Badge" (fictitous) upon completion (preferrably with pics) We began to add it to our signature lines as we took the challenge. As new MOW blends came out and some brothers went above and beyond the baseline challenge (such as smoking 2 runiations, including the SE figurado, etc) new extras were added. Heck we even have one MOW "Medal of Honor" winner on here for duty above and beyond what mere mortal men should be expected to do. I hope this helps explain this unique BORK award ( whole other story). The original challenge of Virtue, Original, Ruination is still the baseline for the MOW Badge to be awarded. If you want to award yourself some special designation for going beyond this and adding additional blends to the challenge I say go for it.

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I plan on doing all the blends in one day. All of them including the new corona and the maduro in the warchest. That will be the Medal of Honor. Aptly named because most who receive the Medal of Honor are dead and after that I will probably be dead as well
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I think I'm up for something new, maybe I'll pick a day in the spring and every waking minute I will burn some sort of MOW that day/night 1.5hrs per roughly should translate to roughly 11 MOW in a day...No Ulysses Grant but not bad...
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    They say Mark Twain smoked 20 sticks a day. They were obviously smaller ring though
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    I think I'm up for something new, maybe I'll pick a day in the spring and every waking minute I will burn some sort of MOW that day/night 1.5hrs per roughly should translate to roughly 11 MOW in a day...No Ulysses Grant but not bad...
    You sir are a madman, but if you pull that off we will make you Ceasar by acclamation
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I have all three for the original challenge but I'm waiting for a good day to do it. I feel like it should be a special day to embark on such a undertaking. I thought about doing it at CFest11 but I think there will already be enough going on that I'd most likely forget to take pictures and actually enjoy the smokes.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    SmokySuit and I are working on a trade so that I can achieve my goals of running through the ranks with y'all. What do you have if you throw an Armada in the mix?
  • Options
    The great thing about this award if you add sticks you can make up any additional extra you like, just keep it appropriate. Adding the Armada would be a big addition to this challenge
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I thought I had a good idea, but I was mistaken.... You cant have a badge with a badge.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Thanks for posting this fla-gypsy. I always wondered what that was about
  • Options
    stowggiestowggie Posts: 399
    I was going to ask the question but I found this post. I'm going to have to hunt some of these down so I can join this club. Very Cool!
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Always wondered about the badge well I want in, Saturday my friends I will smoke all 3 and if I still have a palate maybe an Armada
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Im getting in as well. Just have to get the virtue, and i will be ready!
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    That should be called the MoW Purple Heart
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    My plan is to go with the MOW, the Virtue, Ruination, Armada, PA, and the Side Projects. I've got the Virtue, Ruination, Armada, Little Devil, 52C and PA. All I need to scrounge up are the MOW and Phalanx, then it's on! Gotta come up with a cool designation, though... Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I smoked 6 sticks in a row and that took me about 9 hours. That was enough for me! I used "Special Forces" because I seen someone else has the same title and went with it. I'd recommend a herf if you're planning smoking a lot of sticks. You may need a support system, a shrimp burrito around stick 4, and multiple drink refills.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Interesting idea, but alas, no badge for me. I don't like the Virtue at all.
  • Options
    Was to hungover yesterday to smoke any cigars, today I feel great gonna start with MoW virtue in about an hour
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    jr_p951:
    I smoked 6 sticks in a row and that took me about 9 hours. That was enough for me! I used "Special Forces" because I seen someone else has the same title and went with it. I'd recommend a herf if you're planning smoking a lot of sticks. You may need a support system, a shrimp burrito around stick 4, and multiple drink refills.
    Kinda like Man vs Food. LOL I can see the guy's on the floor, green, with a lighter in his hand proclaiming "if I can only light and smoke this Ruination I'll be somebody'. LMAO.
  • Options
    Finishing up my 6x60 ruination and now the newest badge member
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:

He11's yeah! Congrats, brother! I need to pick up a few more and I'll be attempting mine.
  • Options
    big chunks:
    Congrats
  • Options
    Photobucket
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheet my wife would never dream of giving me the time to smoke all those sticks.