Home General Discussion
Options

THREE cigars in one?!?!?

Someone in the not-so-distant past posted a thread about retrohaling, which really opens up a whole new world in a stick once you master it, almost like having two cigar experiences in one stick.

Recently, I read in the blogs here on the site a smoking technique which I had forgotten about since the first time I heard about it called the "1-2-3 technique"...

http://www.cigar.com/cs/blogs/alex_ccom/archive/2008/07/09/7610.aspx

When I read this, I seemed to remember a thread on here where a lot of people downed it, with comments like "If I have to do that with a cigar, I wouldnt bother smoking it".

I decided to give it a shot with a few "standby" sticks recently and could not BELIEVE what happened. In much the same way that retrohaling opened up a whole new experience for me, the "1-2-3" did as well. I picked up notes and flavors using this that not even retrohaling had showed me in sticks I had previously smoked in some cases ten times or more.

If you havent given this a try, I strongly suggest you do. If you're one of those BOTL who has trouble retrohaling, this technique IMHO will be an eye-opener for you.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You know I've never really looked at the blogs on here, but I've been doing the 123 thing forever.
    That and kinda smacking your tongue against the roof of your mouth while retrohaling
    Brings out a ton in a smoke.

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    That is more or less what I do, guess I'm on the right path.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    You know I've never really looked at the blogs on here, but I've been doing the 123 thing forever.
    That and kinda smacking your tongue against the roof of your mouth while retrohaling

I tried the "making a swallowing motion" the other night and found it was easier (for me) to retrohale than touching the roof of my mouth with my tongue or puffing my cheeks out. I never tried it this way before because I didn't wanna inhale the smoke. But I found that if you kinda take your time and watch what you're doing, it's an effective way to retrohale and get full enjoyment out of a stick (again, for me; to each his own.)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    last time we discussed this particular blog entry i told everyone that i do the "-1, 2, 3" method.
    the first puff is a little push out, then a quick but firm draw then a slow long pull.

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does this work? Kindergarten instructions please.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how does what work

1,2,3 or-1,2,3?
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    jsnake:
    Link to the instructions are in the first post.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Every cigar is different. I make the end result a mouth full of cool as possible flavorful smoke. Sometimes depending on the draw, gauge and construction that means a couple or few puffs, sometimes one big one - sometimes harder, sometimes loose and slow. You can't apply a blanket method to cover everything IMO.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    jsnake:
    Link to the instructions are in the first post.
    DOH!

DUH DUH DUH
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Thats a cool article and it surprised me that I have always smoked cigars in exactly that fashion. Ive always retrohaled even before I knew it had a name. Same with the 123 technique. Maybe I picked it in my high school daze smokin phillies with special filler. Cigars however are a much better alternative.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    kaelaria:
    Every cigar is different. I make the end result a mouth full of cool as possible flavorful smoke. Sometimes depending on the draw, gauge and construction that means a couple or few puffs, sometimes one big one - sometimes harder, sometimes loose and slow. You can't apply a blanket method to cover everything IMO.
    No truer words words on cigar smoking have I read
  • Options
    rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    stephen_hannibal:

+1