Home General Discussion
Options

resting

Saw a few posts about resting cigars for some period of time. So, if you purchase from a B&M is it still necessary or is it just something you do with sticks you purchase on-line or catalog?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    personally, i rest all cigars that enter my humidor. I aim for 6 weeks minimum. most cigar shops and online shops keep cigars at 70% rh. I like mine at 65%rh. i find the burn to be a bit more even. resting will get the humidity to where i want it. otherwise i wouldnt worry. If you keep your humi at 70% there is nothing wrong with not resting. yet another thing in this hobby that boils down to personal taste.

i have been known to go into the shop and smoke one right there. ... but thats a different story.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    One of my best memories is from when I started out. There was this shop in Ventura CA, whose owner (i think his name was Vic; it has been twelve years) kept a bottle of Cognac, and he would give out a small snifter to customers when they came by; give, not sell, as he could not sell liquor. The only rule was you had to sit and enjoy a cigar with him, share his company and his cognac...and say a toast to "George" , the man who provided the Cognac. Easy to do, as he was a good man; it was not just business, he enjoyed what he did. Good times :D. I still miss Vic and his shop. Lots of good talk over a cigar, and even better silences just enjoying the moment.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    My preference is to rest my cigars for at least 30 days. It doesn't matter whether I purchase the smokes online or from a B & M. I agree with Kuzi, most shops do keep their cigars at 70% RH, if not more for online retailers and I do prefer my cigars at the 65% RH level. So I need to let them rest in the humi for awhile.