Home General Discussion
Options

Leather case or Herf-a-dor?

I got a three finger leather case a week or so ago, as I thought it was an easier way to carry my cigars to work. I know that a lot of cigars have a slight leather taste to them, but using the case I've started to notice it more. The inside doesnt seem to smell like leather, could just be parinoia. Well... I am now contemplating a 5 stick Herf-a-dor. I think it might be the best bet for transporting my cigars in my bag, and seeing how I dont want to carry the thirty stick travel humi I've got, and I dont want extra leather hints in my sticks... Do I need to do something different with my three finger or is a smaller travel Humi my best bet?

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I got the 10 stick leather case from ccom on a deal and it fell apart several times, I then got the 15 stick herfador, much better all around...
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    A leather case would be a nice thing to take for a night on the town or to the golf course. Xikar makes a really awesome one that's cedar-lined. For everything else, the herfador is the way to go. The thing is practically bomb-proof.
  • Options
    i would not go with the 5 count herf-a-dor i have two of then when i got them i thought it would be enough but trust me you will want more go with the 15 not to much bigger but way more cigars. Also with the 5 count if you have bigger cigars you can only fit 4 or so
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my three finger case I got here as part of the Playboy deal on a daily basis. I bring a cigar or two with me to my college for my ride home. If the weather ever gets better up here, I'll smoke during my break between classes.

I've never had a problem and because it's just for the day, I don't worry about humidity. I use the herf-a-dor when I'm travelling and I'll be more than a day.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I have the 15 count Herf-A-Dor and I absolutely love it! I take it everywhere; Vegas, the beach, out on the town at night when I know I'll be sharing smokes with others. It's fantastic. I can put it in my wife's purse and not worry about any damage at all.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a XiKar single cigar leather tube, and it is awesome for going out at night. I would die without my 15 ct. herfador though. If it's one or the other, get the herfador. Much more versatile. If you have to, you can store a stick or two in your *** pocket. Can't do that with 15 sticks.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've got a three finger leather case with a cedar lining that is awesome when I'm going somewhere for a short amount of time. I also have a 5 count herf and find that it's plenty. When are you really going to go out on the town and think "Oh, I should bring 15 cigars with me?" The 15 count would be good if you were going to take it on a decent size vacation maybe.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I've got a three finger leather case with a cedar lining that is awesome when I'm going somewhere for a short amount of time. I also have a 5 count herf and find that it's plenty. When are you really going to go out on the town and think "Oh, I should bring 15 cigars with me?" The 15 count would be good if you were going to take it on a decent size vacation maybe.
    The Italian club that I belong to had our 100 year anniversary last summer. I went through 15 in one night with what I smoked plus what I passed out for the celebration. It's that way every year.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've got all of them, and use each depending on the situation. 15 count is great for herfs. 5 count is great for a weekend trip where I only want to take a few, and the 3 finger is for when I am going somewhere and really only expect to smoke 1 stick, but want another couple for variety, or to hand out. For longer vacations I've got a travel humidor that's cedar lined and protected.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I have a Ccom leather case that ENFIDL bombed me with, take it with me to work everyday.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    5-count herf is great for when I go away for a weekend; 3-finger case is good for when I head out to the bars for a night on the town or go to work. 15-count is better for extended stays away from my humi.

If you're worried about that leather taste, you may wanna get some thin slips of spanish cedar and stick it in - should help. You can either search online for it (ebay should have some, probably selling them as humidor-cigar separators), or you can just take them off your cigars if you have any Cohiba tubo's or Gran Vintages

• Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I have the 5 count Herf-a-dor. Love it!
  • Options
    I ordered the leather Cohiba case the other day that came in the mail today. The case was in a box with double cellophane wrapping on it. The three Cohiba Robustos that came with it will require a kot of attention and rest. To the touch, they feel hard and ready to crack. They must of been in that box for a long long time.

I do have a 5 count Herf a dor that I currently use but is a bit bulky. Which is why I wanted to get a 3 count leather case. I only need two sticks when on the golf course.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love my 5 ct herfador!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I have a 3 finger leather case, a 5 ct herf a dor and 15 count herf a dor. The 3 finger case is my fav to take out if I know it's just gonna be me smoking. The 5 is nice if I wanna take some extras to hand out and the 15 is great for travel. The 15 is kind of bulky to carry around all the time.

stephen_hannibal:
    I have a Ccom leather case that ENFIDL bombed me with, take it with me to work everyday.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it brother! Something told me it'd be perfect for ya
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I have the 15 count one and it works great.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    All of which seems to be sage advice. I will find a 5 count 'extreme' humi to use for transporting the desired sticks to the smoke location while in the desert, and send the three finger back to use when I'm out on the town. I belive that there are some cedar tubes floating around to put in the three finger. My main issue was that the three finger is 'PURPLE' for one, they called it some french name that started with b, but it is barney's butt purple. Secondly its not very sturdy. I don't worry about humidification with it because its for less than 10 hours, and will be the same for the mini 'extreme'. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lets see... i have a 5 stick herfador, two 10 stick herfadors, and one 15 stick herfador.

i think you know where my vote goes as far as what to buy/use.

• Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    I have the 5 stick herf-a-dor from ccom but find I want a leather carrier. My B&M have a leather carrier with a belt holster loop from ccom for sale for 85 bucks thinking about getting it. The metal flask/cigar case is almost worthless because only the thinnest of churchill's can fit into it.
  • Options
    SigCigSigCig Posts: 37
    kuzi16:
    lets see... i have a 5 stick herfador, two 10 stick herfadors, and one 15 stick herfador.

Me 2. The rest compromise cigar safety. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    All of which seems to be sage advice. I will find a 5 count 'extreme' humi to use for transporting the desired sticks to the smoke location while in the desert, and send the three finger back to use when I'm out on the town. I belive that there are some cedar tubes floating around to put in the three finger. My main issue was that the three finger is 'PURPLE' for one, they called it some french name that started with b, but it is barney's butt purple. Secondly its not very sturdy. I don't worry about humidification with it because its for less than 10 hours, and will be the same for the mini 'extreme'. Thanks for the help.

Dude, you don't need to find one, I'll send one to you via the SirFoster package, along with some smokes to go with it.
  • Options
    SigCig:
    kuzi16:

I don't have a herfador, I just use a standard leather 3-cigar case. I've had that thing almost 10 years and have never damaged a cigar. It's been in my pocket on the way to the local cigar bar, it's been in the car, and it's been in my luggage as I went cross country - cigars have always been in good condition.
  • Options
    R_M_GR_M_G Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I've always wanted a small herf... I got a 3 finger leather case and it sucks, actually made my cigars smell like some kind of chemical glue! If youre gonna get a leather case, drop some money and get real leather with cedar insides... When it gets to be golfing season around here Im definitely going with a new travel herf!
    "...and in the evenings the men would be men. We would sit round the fire and share a drink, a smoke and old war stories that oft dealt more with women than war it's self. There were no fathers or sons, bosses nor hands, we were just men sitting round a fire."
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Bandy, thanks so much. I have a 30 count extreme humidor that I ordered and had to argue with customs for over an hour about. The three finger seems like it will do great when at home, but the 'bomb proof' ness is what I'm looking for right now. Being in the desert with a small tactical book bag to carry around all the time. Sometimes it gets dropped, the other day some jackleg TCN (third country national) ran over it with a bus. That's the first time for that one, and if it happens again, Ill put two through the block. Luckily my case was in my pocket that day, not my bag.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have a couple leather cases, a travel humi and a herf a dor. I use the Herf a dor almost exclusively now.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    SigCig:
    kuzi16:

I don't have a herfador, I just use a standard leather 3-cigar case. I've had that thing almost 10 years and have never damaged a cigar. It's been in my pocket on the way to the local cigar bar, it's been in the car, and it's been in my luggage as I went cross country - cigars have always been in good condition.
    but have you dropped it from a moving jeep while off roading?

i dropped the hefador.

the cigars were safe. i wasnt even worried.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    My Vote is both.
  • Options
    I have a 3 cigar plastic holder calle "Le Tube" it is far and away the best one i have ever had and picked it up for$6. They also make single cigar tubes too. Just Google it. Hold up to a 54 ring size and can squeeze a 56 in there too.