Home General Discussion

Tatuaje

So I am interested in trying this brand...who has a good feel for their best line or smoke? I'd love to hear what their favorite Tat is...

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Thats a difficult one to answer. What do you like normally in a cigar would be my 1st question to you. Then I might be able to base an answer off that. The only problem is that Tat's are all pretty limited in production. Some of the cigars are just made specifically for one B&M. Others are a little easier to come by. I will say that if you can get your hands on a Tat try it if the price is right for you.

Some of my favorites are the Miami Cojonu 2003, Havana 6, La Riqueza, black, & red Tubos. These are some of the easier ones to come by. Can't say I've been chasing down the harder to find stuff but if I find it I usually try to buy it and try it. You can also try to trade for it or call in and see what Ccom might have that's not listed.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I'll offer some suggestions in terms of body, so you can have a good sample to try from. Cabaiguan (mild), El Triunfador new blend(mild), La Riqueza (medium), Havana VI (medium), Miami (full).
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I've smoked pretty much all of the regular production Tatuaje stuff, and for the most part have found that none of it is less than good. It all sort of depends on what you want from a cigar. They are all Nicaraguan cigars primarily, and as such are variations on the Nicaraguan profile (in otherwords, you aren't going to get any dried fruit flavors). The regular brown label line has a spicy, dark earth core, with a hint of a musty overtone. The Havana VI line is nutty and spicy, with a woody core. The La Riqueza is a subtler blend, in the medium range, with less in your face flavor. El Triunfador is the mildest line, offering coffee and cocoa and wood flavors, without the heavy spice and darkness that the other lines have. Cabaiguan may be wrapped in a Connecticut shade wrapper, but it is actually more of a medium smoke, with a musky, deep feel. The Cabaiguan Guapos are spicier, and bolder than the original line. The recent Broadleaf wrapped Reservas (7th Reserva, PCR, and Petite Reserva) are full of black coffee and a slight chocolate sweetness, with a heavy black pepper finish. The Cojonu blends are basically the brown labels on steroids, with more ligero and spice.

In my opinion, the best place to start would be to get a Havana VI corona gorda, a brown label Noella and brown label Havana Cazadores, a 7th Reserva, a PCR, an El Triunfador no.6, a Cojonu 2003, and a Cabaiguan Imperiales. Those give you a pretty good idea of the variety the brand offers, while still also getting to see the similarity that ties them all together.

Also, most of the special releases are really good. Not all (Outlaw...), but most.
  • if you go under the miami link there are several different sizes are the sizes just different or is the blend different also?
    Christian_Sapp:
    if you go under the miami link there are several different sizes are the sizes just different or is the blend different also?
    The blend is... the same, but not adjusted to taste the same in each size. There are differences because of the sizes. The "Miami" label is... well, incorrect, in that several different lines are listed under the Miami section here. Check Tatuaje's actual website for actual breakdowns of their lines. http://tatuajecigars.com/site/
  • ok thanks so the j21 and sw are the same blend just different sizes? are the monster series cigars pretty impossible to get?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    ok thanks so the j21 and sw are the same blend just different sizes? are the monster series cigars pretty impossible to get?
    Mmmmmm... the SW (Sir Winston) is a fantastic cigar!
  • thanks ill have to try that one i have a 7th reserva but im going to a tatuaje event on friday and what i have had i have loved but i am kind of confused what i should try and get i know his limited stuff is great and hope he has some there but other than that i am kind of lost.
    Christian_Sapp:
    ok thanks so the j21 and sw are the same blend just different sizes? are the monster series cigars pretty impossible to get?
    The Reserva cigars have their own blend, so no the SW and J21 are not the same, nor are they the same as the brown labels.

The monster series this past year (the face) was easy as hell to get, online even, because production numbers were increased, and there were two different releases (dress box, and plain box) of the cigar.
  • what about the past years of the monster series?
    Christian_Sapp:
    what about the past years of the monster series?
    The past years were good, I liked the Frank and the Drac, but the Boris was awesome. Sadly they are all pretty much impossible to find now. He probably won't even have any at his events. They were limited run cigars and are pretty much all gone.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I love the Verocu Tubo. La Riqueza is a great stick as well. Black Tubo is really tasty as well.
  • yeah i have a verocu tube and black tubo and smoked a verocu the other day it was amazing
  • PuroFreak:
    Christian_Sapp:
    what about the past years of the monster series?
    The past years were good, I liked the Frank and the Drac, but the Boris was awesome. Sadly they are all pretty much impossible to find now. He probably won't even have any at his events. They were limited run cigars and are pretty much all gone.
    yeah i thought so i wish i smoked cigars when these came out
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Christian_Sapp:
    thanks ill have to try that one i have a 7th reserva but im going to a tatuaje event on friday and what i have had i have loved but i am kind of confused what i should try and get i know his limited stuff is great and hope he has some there but other than that i am kind of lost.

I doubt HE has anything.....whatever Zee has at his Shop is what will be.on the deal. IN my expierence .They may have ordered in some special stuff but I wouldn't expect Pete will be holding.....see you there!
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Christian_Sapp:
    thanks ill have to try that one i have a 7th reserva but im going to a tatuaje event on friday and what i have had i have loved but i am kind of confused what i should try and get i know his limited stuff is great and hope he has some there but other than that i am kind of lost.

I doubt HE has anything.....whatever Zee has at his Shop is what will be.on the deal. IN my expierence .They may have ordered in some special stuff but I wouldn't expect Pete will be holding.....see you there!
    Pete typically has event only items he gives away with box purchases... Black Labels, pre-release cigars, etc.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in my opinion the Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 is their best regular production line cigar.

the new tatuaje cigar that i am most excited about is the 100% connecticut grown cigar. yup. USA puro.
    i was handed one of these cigars by Pete while he was giving the tour of the My Father cigar Factory.

i also have high hopes for the Fausto that Tatuaje will be releasing soon as well. it is a similar blend to the T110.
    good times.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Hey thanks for the great input guys...I have enjoyed reading all the responses and as usual it has expanded my understanding. Rock!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    docbp87:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Christian_Sapp:

Pete typically has event only items he gives away with box purchases... Black Labels, pre-release cigars, etc.

I did here that there were going to be some Patches and stickers and possibly hats if you buy Boxes etc, this function is advertising buy 3 get one free ..... Not a great deal to me.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    dowjr1:
    Hey thanks for the great input guys...I have enjoyed reading all the responses and as usual is has expanded my understanding. Rock!
    Yeah, I've enjoyed reading the responses here as well and have learned alot about tatuajes. Since I love Don Pepin Garcia stuff, have a handful of tattoos myself, and loved the one havana VI that I've tried, Tatuaje is a brand that I've been looking to explore more and this thread has been really helpful. I tend to get turned off by brands with too many limited and rare cigars, mostly because of my limited and rare cigar budget these days, so its good to see so many people recomending their regular production lines here. It makes me feel like those are still top notch cigars, even though he might make better ones which are tough to find. So thanks to all who have posted suggestions, I'll be trying a few from this thread with my next order. Two questions though.

Are they all still made by DPG? this is a huge plus in my book.

One thing I was suprised at though, I didn't see anyone recomend the Ambos Mundos which has scored well with CA the last few years. Is this not a traditional Tatuaje flavor profile? or is it one where even though it scores well, its not all that impressive to those who have made suggestions here? or have people just not tried it that much?

thanks guys
  • OK, my 2 cents..
    I had the Havana IV Hemosos (I think was the size) last night. At 1st, I did not think i was going to like it. I light it up with a touch lighter and got wacked in the face with a huge amount of pepper. It was just like the 5 Vegas original. This only lasted for a few puffs and mellowed out a bit. The rest of the stick was well balanced and smoothed out the rest of the way.

Now, I had the neighbor over and we were talking about cigars that led into guitars so the conversation was great which probable led to a nice finish on the cigar. By the time i was done, it was nubbed. So, take it for what its worth..
    I don't have any more, i believe i got the stick from Docedwards from the "guess the baby weight contest". Somehow, I'll get another one to compare. I like to give a stick a few chances before I decide anything.

Overall, I liked the stick and most probable will as well.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Boyd that is a good point...there seems to be pretty good buzz about the Ambos Mundos line from professional reviewers but nothing on this thread. I have an Ambos resting now and am looking forward to trying it soon. Anyone care to comment on the Ambos Mundos?
    dowjr1:
    Boyd that is a good point...there seems to be pretty good buzz about the Ambos Mundos line from professional reviewers but nothing on this thread. I have an Ambos resting now and am looking forward to trying it soon. Anyone care to comment on the Ambos Mundos?
    The Ambos is a good cigar. I've had it in both wrappers and have enjoyed it very much. Plus the price point on them is awesome.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    A b&m near my house carries the whole Tatuaje line, Miami, Havana VI, Triunfador. All in different vitolas. (Pepin rolled). They also carry a lot of the other Pete Johnson cigars, Ambos Mundos, etc. It doesn't get any better than the torpedo sized Miami.
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    Great thread... answered alot of questions that have been bouncing around in my head. So far have tried the Havana VI & La Requeza.... looking forward to trying them all.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    PuroFreak:
    dowjr1:
    The Ambos is a good cigar. I've had it in both wrappers and have enjoyed it very much. Plus the price point on them is awesome.

docbp87:
    In my opinion, the best place to start would be to get a Havana VI corona gorda, a brown label Noella and brown label Havana Cazadores, a 7th Reserva, a PCR, an El Triunfador no.6, a Cojonu 2003, and a Cabaiguan Imperiales. Those give you a pretty good idea of the variety the brand offers, while still also getting to see the similarity that ties them all together.

Allright this has been really helpful actually. I also got really confused looking at the Miami line, and almost asked the exact same question that was already asked. I will have to check the tatuaje website you recomended, haha. Glad I double checked that before posting. But I think I'm gonna throw in a mixed 5 or 10 pack of some of these as well as a La Riqueza, an Ambos Mundo and the Black Label to my next order or two, depending on the budget. The Black Label's are sometimes in stock here, by call in only correct? thanks for all the input everyone.
  • boydmcgowan:
    PuroFreak:
    dowjr1:

docbp87:

Allright this has been really helpful actually. I also got really confused looking at the Miami line, and almost asked the exact same question that was already asked. I will have to check the tatuaje website you recomended, haha. Glad I double checked that before posting. But I think I'm gonna throw in a mixed 5 or 10 pack of some of these as well as a La Riqueza, an Ambos Mundo and the Black Label to my next order or two, depending on the budget. The Black Label's are sometimes in stock here, by call in only correct? thanks for all the input everyone.
    i know they use to have the blacks by call only i am not sure anymore and they are not the black tubos
    boydmcgowan:
    PuroFreak:
    dowjr1:

docbp87:

Black Labels are gone. The Black Petite Lancero is going to be a regular production stick for a B&M, but is not yet. There are also rumors about the Black Label petite robusto being regular production some day.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Bringing this back up since we've been having some discussion in the trades section on Pete's stuff. I've been getting into his stuff, specifically his halloween stuff. I'm trying to amass all the years but yeah that's not easy. I think it'd be cool to have the whole collection
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    good thread, nice revival