Home General Discussion
Options

Diesel Advice

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just finished my first Diesel and I need some advice. I know a lot of the BOTL's are Diesel fans so here's my question: Do they all taste alike? The one I just had was a Diesel Shorty. It was a good smoke but I wouldn't call it a great one. Is the Unholy Cocktail a different taste than any of the others? Are some stronger than others?

Just trying to figure out whether I should try others... Any input will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Marty

Comments

• Options
    I buy them when they are on sale.  They are decent yard cigars.  The shorty and the unholy cocktail taste very similar in my opinion.  The unlimited line pretty much all taste the same.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    The Shorty and Unholy Cocktail taste very much like.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    With my limited experience with Diesel (just the unholy cocktail) I smoked my first one ROTT and thought it was awesome. The next couple I thought were so-so and then I just smoked my last one a few weeks ago that I had in the humi for approx a year. That last one I smoked I thought was even better than when I had it the very first time. I am not sure if it were because of changes in my palette that I didn't like the ones I smoked in between but that last one I had made me seriously reconsider the brand. I would try maybe an unholy and an unlimited before making your final decision on this line. As of this current point in time however I am a fan of them.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I think the Diesels are good smoke but the different blends are not alike. I wouldn't exactly call them yard gars either. They are a little better than that.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I wouldn't exactly call them yard gars either. They are a little better than that.

Not for the yard but definitely worthy of being an everyday smoke.
  • Options
    The UHC is a little more full-bodied than the Shorty in my opinion. The Shorty seems a bit smoother, with hints of leather.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    fla-gypsy:
    I wouldn't exactly call them yard gars either. They are a little better than that.

Not for the yard but definitely worthy of being an everyday smoke.
    +1
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I think the Diesels are good smoke but the different blends are not alike. I wouldn't exactly call them yard gars either. They are a little better than that.
    +1, the unlimited is by far my favorite. more full bodied and very spicy.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Unlimited is more smooth IMO than the Diesel or UC; I've heard Unlimited's get REALLY smooth with some time on them, but I've never had them long enough in my humi to find out for myself, lol
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    cooch36:
    I don't think the Shorty tastes anything like the UHC.
    The Shorty was much better IMHO

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Unlimiteds are the best of the bunch in my opinion. Smoother, sweeter, spicier...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! Thanks, guys. You really came through with knowledge for me to try to assimilate.

Thanks muchly. I really appreciate it.

Marty

• Options
    SigCigSigCig Posts: 37
    Consistency is a major issue IMO. Some are very nice, some I need to toss.
  • Options
    the shorty was ok but the uc and unlimited were great imo
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    cooch36:
    I don't think the Shorty tastes anything like the UHC.
    The Shorty was much better IMHO

I will agree with stephen....

As I dont think they taste alike at all.

.... and DISagree with stephen, as I think the UHC is FAR superior. Never could put my finger on exactly WHAT it was about the Shorty that I didnt care for, but it never has agreed with my palette.

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I haven't had the shorty so I can't tell you if it tastes like UHC. The UHC changes quite a bit depending on the amount of rest it's had. I think all the Penn. Broadleaf Maduros that I've had taste similar, but that's not really my favorite wrapper, so I don't spend time picking them apart and analyzing them. I can tell you that the Unlimited will taste drastically different than the Shorty. Totally different wrappers, totally different cigars. I really like the DX. Great smoke.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Unlimiteds are the best of the bunch in my opinion. Smoother, sweeter, spicier...

I don't think I'll buy the Unlimited's again unless there is a crazy deal on them someday. Much prefer the UHC.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Unlimited is more smooth IMO than the Diesel or UC; I've heard Unlimited's get REALLY smooth with some time on them, but I've never had them long enough in my humi to find out for myself, lol
    lol...same here!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    UHC is really great with some age on it.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ajacobs:
    I buy them when they are on sale.  They are decent yard cigars.  The shorty and the unholy cocktail taste very similar in my opinion.  The unlimited line pretty much all taste the same.

YARD GARS are you kidding me? LOL THESE ARE NOT YARD GARS!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Ok here is my Take on these Beautys! I LOVE THESE! I got Hooked on the Unholy cocktails, I would say they are the Best and Most consistant, followed by the Unlimiteds LOVE THOSE spicy , thick smoke,great from start to finish with time they are really good, now to the Shorty....... I like them fine, the Big Ring gauge is a Jawbreaker.... they start off a bit odd but get better through the middle... dont let the size fool you these things smoke for damn near 2 hours if you pace it and i believe taking your time on the shorty helps with its flavors , if you get it to HOT it will sour ...... I still can't believe it was called a Yard GAr...... I dont know anyone that spoends that kind of money on a yard Gar... thats like a 5 vegas gold, or a gran habano Vintage, those are good smokes at a Low price/.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I really like the UHC. Not a very complex smoke imo, but a darn good one. The only unlimited I had was rott and a little "fresh" imo but still not bad. I've had 2 more resting since they were released. Might be a good smoke for tonight.
  • Options
    I had my first diesel a while back n couldnt figure out how i could dislike such a popular cigar...it had to me this really pete flavor that i didnt care for through the first third or so...after that i kinda enjoyed it but realized it wasnt really a favorite...i have another sitting to see if i like it with some age on it. very popular cigar though..but maybe not for everyone!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Throwing my 2 cents here too. Love the UHCs which are my favorite of the line as well. I actually haven't tried the shorty yet, but I have a stack of them resting right now with a few months on them, but right now I can't speak to the differences between the two.

As for the Unlimiteds. I loved the torpedo (d.x I think), actually almost as much as the UHC. Amazing smoke and I think the size is right for that blend. I smoked it ROTT, literally, it had 1 day of rest on it. hahah and had it with a big cup of black coffee, and it was an amazing midafternoon smoke while the little one napped on a lazy saturday afternoon. Great day. I've also had the Unlimited 6 x 60 beast (d.6 I think), but wasn't a fan. It was the first time that I've had such contrasting opinions of the same cigar in a different vitola. Alot of that too, is my personal prefence in ring guagues, 60 is too much for a cigar thats more than 5 inches. I just don't thave the time for a 2 hour smoke these days, so I lose interest after an hour of butchering it while trying to smoke it too fast.

So from what I can tell, the two torpedos are the way to go with Diesels, the UHC and the Unlimited D.x.
  • Options
    Alright here is my opinion as I have had all three:

Order of my favorite (Best to Worst)

Shorty (By far my favorite and I want to buy a box soon) -> Unholy (very good smoke but not as strong as the shorty) -> Unlimited (not even in the same category, it just has the name)

Order of flavor profile (Lots of flavor to little flavor)

Unholy (lots of cream, sweetness, spice) -> Shorty (TONS of pepper, very little cream) -> Unlimited (tad bit of cedar but not much there honestly)

Order of strength (Strongest to weakest)

Shorty (May need multiple glasses of water) -> Unholy (nice med-full smoke) -> Unlimited (definitely medium at the most)

Also... yardgar!? Are you freakin kidding me? Here are true yardgars: http://crapcigar.com/category/yardgar/
  • Options
    long_ashes:

Shorty (May need multiple glasses of water) -> Unholy (nice med-full smoke) -> Unlimited (definitely medium at the most)

I really don't know how you can say the Shorty is the strongest of the three? I thought it was the mildest.
  • Options
    brizzzine:
    long_ashes:

I really don't know how you can say the Shorty is the strongest of the three? I thought it was the mildest.

I guess everyone's palates are different but honestly the unlimited and diesel unholy were not very strong to me but the shorty was full of nicotine. The unholy has more flavor but in terms of pure strength I thought the shorty was the winner there. Maybe it all depends on how long they have been in the humidor and possible other factors too.