Home Cigar 101
Options

cuban

JTJT Posts: 6
This probably should be in reviews, if so, I apologize. The cigars that I've tried so far are Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Nub, Gran Habano and the Dominican Primeros. I think I tend to like a full bodied cigar. I am going to Aruba this Saturday for vacation. What cuban cigars do you all recommend?

Comments

• Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I've never had a Cuban but I know that a popular answer to your question is Cohiba. A Cuban Cohiba is da shizzle, or so I've been told by everyone and their brother.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    be careful. there are a ton of fakes. do not buy them off the street. do not make a quick descision. do not get "a good deal" in fact, i wouldnt buy any while down there. there is almost no way you can tell if they are real or not.

but if you NEED to... id stay away from cohiba. those are the most often faked brand. And buy from a shop that is certified. dont buy just anywhere. personally i would look for a Sancho Panza Sancho. but thats just me.

also take a look at this site:

http://www.vitolas.net/thumbnails.php?album=19

learn about fakes. its risky lookin for those cubans.

and dont forget about the law:

Recent changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515 (the “Regulations”), administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”), have prompted OFAC to revise the Cuban Cigar Update previously issued on June 19, 1998. This notice provides important information to the public on Cuban-origin tobacco products.

Importation of Cuban-Origin Cigars Into the United States There is now an across the board ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products, as well as most other products of Cuban origin. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by OFAC to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. traveler, including purchases at duty free shops. Importation of these Cuban goods is prohibited whether the goods are purchased directly by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through the catalog mail purchases. Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations.

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries :
    The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

Cigars Produced from Cuban Tobacco Seed

OFAC does not consider cigars produced from tobacco grown and harvested in a third country from Cuban seeds to constitute a growth or product of Cuba. Therefore, the Regulations do not prevent transactions or dealing in those products by persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, as long as there is no interest of Cuba or a Cuban national, direct or indirect, in the sale of such cigars. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC's Enforcement Division at (202)622-2430 or via facsimile at 202 622-1657.

Date 09/30/2004

also dont forget about homeland security...

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at 202.622.2430 or via facsimile at 202.622.1657.

happy cigar hunting.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Kuzi all that you said about the cuban inports being illegal brings back memorys, I was stationed at get-mo in Cuba, and I have to admit that was one of the best assignments in my 20 years, it was during the time of the cubans seeking asylum in America and when my tour was over I landed in Texas and the customs agent asked if I had anything to declare and I said like what and he said cuban cigars....I then reminded him those where illegal here in the states and I was on American soil in Cuba and where was I gonna obtain cuban cigars?? but I tell you guys if I didn't have to leave I would've stayed in Cuba.....best kept secret in the carrabian
  • Options
    nalizakonalizako Posts: 3
    I will just take a moment to echo the sentiments of those that are worriesome of fakes.  You'll want to be careful of where you pick up your cuban cigars.  I'm not going to get into the legality of having them in the US, but as you'll be in Aruba you might as well enjoy the finest cigars made; Cubans.  I like the Cohibas, but my personal favorite is the Montecristo #2.  Its a can't miss cigar.  Enjoyed many in Thailand, Japan and Jamaica.
  • Options
    They're obviously overpriced, but I usually feel pretty safe i'm not going to get a fake in hotel gift shops..Check them though, depending on the hotel, they may have been sitting for a while in not so optimal conditions.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba.

so ... in english: even if you are out of the country you can not legally buy and smoke cubans.

but who would enforce that? iduno. Im not out of the US. and im not looking for Cubans. i guess it doesnt bother me in the least.

im not sure how the owners of cigar.com feel about people discussing obtaining "contraband" on their forum. im not sure its as welcome as some of us wish it would be.

this isnt only because its illegal, but in some way you are trying to find a place other than cigar.com to get smokes. though i personally have used other sites and a B&M in addition to cigar.com i try and make sure to not rub it in their face. It may be in poor taste to talk about other places to buy cigars in a cigar.com forum.

its like going into a Volvo dealer and telling them all about how AWESOME the BMW guys were. ...you can do it but it may be frowned upon.

i cannot however speak for cigar.com.
  • Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    If you are in a foriegn country, the only place that you will get a guaranteed non fake cuban cigar is a La Casa Del Habano. They are franchised shops that are licensed by Habanos SA the cuban co. that distrubutes cuban cigars. The cigars will be expensive if not very over priced. I hope you have a great trip. Aruba is a place you may not want to come home from.
    -Dave
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Kuzi,

Calm down buddy.  If you think the cigar.com boys don't buy Cubans every time they are out of the country you're crazy.  Second everything you just posted in here is scare tactics.  I travel out of the country on a regular basis and almost always bring a few cubans back.  As long as its only a couple(obviously for personal use) all I've seen done is they take them away.  Now ordering online I've heard some horror stories, I just talked to a guy in my local shoppe that got $10,000 fine for ordering online from Spain. This has all gotten out of hand and the ban needs to be rolled back.  It has become strictly a means of generating revenue much like the seat belt laws.

As far as Cuban Cohibas if you buy the 3 packs that are sealed from an actual tobacco shoppe you have a better shot of them being real.  I also stick to tubo cigars when I'm over there that are in a sealed tube, they are more likely to be real.  Montecristo #2 is an excellent choice as well, the Robusto Partagas and H. Upmann tubes and the Hoyo De Monterrey Edicion Special is excellent as well. 

• Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Hi Guys,
    Kuzi is just doing the due diligence for cigar.com to put in a disclaimer in case anyone is watching. You never can be too careful with big brother. I am sure the guys are cigar.com do not want thier forum to be under watch.
    -Dave
  • Options

Point taken Phish.

• Options
    phisherman:
    Hi Guys,
    Kuzi is just doing the due diligence for cigar.com to put in a disclaimer in case anyone is watching. You never can be too careful with big brother. I am sure the guys are cigar.com do not want thier forum to be under watch.
    -Dave
    exactly. this is one of the reasons why i think that cigar.com should have mods.
    I like cigar.com. Id hate to see them get busted for "telling people how to get cubans illegally" on their forum. I cant (and wont) tell you what to do in your life or on your vacations. you do what you gotta do. I just know that some sites are very serious when it comes to talk on how to obtain cuban cigars. I just figured cigar.com is one of those serious sites.

i cant vouch for or speak for the guys at cigar.com. what they buy on their trips out of the country is none of my business. It isnt safe to assume anything about anyone ever.
  • Options
    Kuzi I understand what you're saying, however, what other sites have issue with is telling you how to ORDER them illegally like where you order your cubans from and have them shipped into the US.  Which is being cracked down on severely right now.  I just heard a guy in my local shoppe got a $10,000 fine.  However telling someone how to avoid being ripped off when buying Cubans in another country I have never seen anyone scolded for that.  Yes it is technically illegal to do so but is not enforced.  I also understand assuming is dangerous in many cases but I think everyone in here would agree mine was more of a educated theory than a dangerous assumption Wink [;)]
  • Options
    JTJT Posts: 6

phisherman:
    If you are in a foriegn country, the only place that you will get a guaranteed non fake cuban cigar is a La Casa Del Habano. They are franchised shops that are licensed by Habanos SA the cuban co. that distrubutes cuban cigars. The cigars will be expensive if not very over priced. I hope you have a great trip. Aruba is a place you may not want to come home from.
    -Dave

Hello all! Just got back from Aruba and you are right phish, did not want to come home. I "did not" go looking for cuban cigars. I "did not" see any cuban cigars. The Serie D. No. 4 Partagas was great....er...or would have been if I actually smoked it. Maybe someday.

• Options
    I completely understand ... I have no idea how good that cigar is either. Did you miss out on a Montecristo #2 as well? How about the Cohiba? I missed those and the Punch Habana Tubo. Such a shame :D
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    You two are going to hell :P
  • Options
    I got my seats a while ago. You know apparently they give rides there in a handbasket? I think thats how I'm going to go.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I got my seats a while ago. You know apparently they give rides there in a handbasket? I think thats how I'm going to go.
    Mine's an antique wicker basket... I specifically requested to have my head shrunk so I could fit inside it.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Did you guys ever hear the saying " Good girls go to heaven," I personally enjoy the company of bad girls. They are much more fun to be around. Maybe we can find some that enjoy cigars too. Think of the benefits, you will never have to say " got a light? "
  • Options
    I like to smoke cigars and drink whiskey ... If this is heaven to me, does it make it heavenly?
  • Options
    i usually drink water or coke with my cigars. water more often than not
  • Options
    Kuzi, if its the first time I'm smoking a cigar or a high end cigar its nothing but water. However, if its just a typical night out back with a everyday cigar, I usually have a good beer Guiness, Sam or some microbrew or a tall glass of fine bourbon. I've found a few cigars I don't like with water are amazing with a bourbon, the CAO MX2 is a classic example of that for me.
  • Options
    i find that many adult beverages overpower the taste of many cigars. thats why i lean to water and coke. i have had a few beers that are ok with cigars. im a beer snob too but i think a cigar is more important than beer.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Something I have found a liking to pairing with a cigar is a glass of iced tea, no lemon no sugar, just tea. I don't think it particularly complements the cigar, but it doesn't overpower it either. So it will be that or water for me. Occasionally I'll have beer, but the only beer I've had pair nicely with a cigar was a Sam Adams White Ale, and it paired very well in my opinion with a Romeo y Julieta Veijo. I've tried on several occasions and have just found that I don't really care for adult drinks with a cigar.

Joe
  • Options
    Kuzi, I understand that, there is a lot of debate on whether to partake in alcohol before or during a cigar. I say its a personal thing. I read an article somewhere from a well respected reviewer(can't remember who right now dammit) that always does his cigar reviews with a glass of Booker's Bourbon. But I have stopped drinking a beer before and rinsed my mouth out with water bc it seemed the cigar was being overpowered by the beer. I had a beer when I was in Cleveland, it was brewed locally and I can't remember the name but it was very good. It apparently was real popular you could buy it at all the stores and bars. Any ideas? I don't remember much about it now aside from being good. Joe I'm writing that recommendation down I happen to have a Sammy White in my fridge and a RJ Viejo in one of my plastic bags(lol my temp humi's as the humi is FULL).
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Let me know what you think madurofan, I found the pairing quite nice, but we already know my taste and your's differ somewhat. Hope you enjoy.

Joe
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Kuzi, I understand that, there is a lot of debate on whether to partake in alcohol before or during a cigar. I say its a personal thing. I read an article somewhere from a well respected reviewer(can't remember who right now dammit) that always does his cigar reviews with a glass of Booker's Bourbon. But I have stopped drinking a beer before and rinsed my mouth out with water bc it seemed the cigar was being overpowered by the beer. I had a beer when I was in Cleveland, it was brewed locally and I can't remember the name but it was very good. It apparently was real popular you could buy it at all the stores and bars. Any ideas? I don't remember much about it now aside from being good. Joe I'm writing that recommendation down I happen to have a Sammy White in my fridge and a RJ Viejo in one of my plastic bags(lol my temp humi's as the humi is FULL).
    the beer was probably "dortmunder gold" from The Great Lakes Brewing Co. its quite good. Much better on tap than out of the bottle.
  • Options
    Yea I think my taste is a little special ed maybe, its different than most people's.
  • Options
    kuz,That was it I do believe. Yea I only had it on tap just saw it in the stores. i ty to get the local brew whereever I'm at. Minneapolis had a decent local brew as well.
  • Options
    if youre into it the GLBC has a great porter also.
  • Options
    hmmm do they have anywhere you can order their beer from?