Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

PACKAGING QUESTION

Want to send some cigars to a friend in fla from nc. figuered this would be the best place to ask this. how do you guys find is the best way to wrap,box,store cigars for shipping? do you use the humi pillows with the cigars your sending or are they ok for such a short trip ( although you can never tell if they will be delayed ?) Suggestions appreciated . gene

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a bunch of priority mail boxes that were made for VHS shipping. they still have the size and you can get them at the post office website. they hold about 5 sticks nicely. up to 10 if you are a creative packer. i put the sticks in a ziploc or a bag from the tobaccanist (i keep all of em) with no water pillow in there unless it is over seas (in that case it takes to long)
    priority mail will go cross country in about 3 days. usually 2 days. in state the next day.

i think its still under $5 too.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Kuzi beat me to it. Those are exactly the boxes I use; they don't always have them at the PO but you can order them online for free. Use Click and Ship at the USPS website to ship; just print out the label and hand the box to your carrier. No waiting in line at the PO, you get a small discount on the price plus free delivery confirmation. Priority mail is one of the best deals going... I recently got a rifle from Washington state shipped priority (20 pounds) in under 48 hours.

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do?from=bannershippingtools&page=clicknship
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I save some of the boxes my ccom orders come in, and re-use them. And since I've been involved in the games, I save some of those, too. Gives me a nice variety of sizes. I also save the packing materials (air pillows, bubble-wrap, etc.) to re-use.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks guys - that helps
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I take mine to the local pak-n-mail and as kuzi put it "holy packing peanuts batman". Sometimes I put in a water pillow sometimes I don't.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    holy superman, batman!
  • Options
    I'm beginning to feel a bit iffy about the HumiCare pillows. I've gotten several packages (not from ccom) in which they had leaked stickiness on the cigars.

Suggests to me that a good rule of thumb is: if you include a water pillow, make sure the package is well padded.

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    urbino:
    I'm beginning to feel a bit iffy about the HumiCare pillows. I've gotten several packages (not from ccom) in which they had leaked stickiness on the cigars.

Suggests to me that a good rule of thumb is: if you include a water pillow, make sure the package is well padded.

I have started to double bag my trade sticks and putting the pilow in the outside bag.
    that way if it leaks it doesn't get on the cigars in the inside bag. It also gets rid of twice as many of those bags at a time.
    I believe in reduce recycle and re-use :)
  • Options
    That's a good approach, too, doogie.