Home Cigar 101
Options

bloom doesnt come off?

theres some stuff that looks like bloom on cigar. what i know about bloom is that its sparkly, usually evenly distributed, and is supposed to be easily rubbed off. some of it rubs off, some doesnt. also in some spots its quite dense, to the point where they look sort of like little blotches i guess. could it be bloom, or does bloom always have those other traits? and if its not bloom what is it?

Comments

• Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    pic would help. but it could be mold. pm sent
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Ploom is 2D and dusty; Mold is 3D and fluffy. +1 to pics
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Sounds kinda like bloom to me. The oils in the leaf are what cause the bloom, and they can be a bit more concentrated in pockets on the leaf. Mold is a bit more random and usually is all over the place in tiny colonies (at first, then it spreads!). Post up a pic and one of the guys that is a bit more experienced will be able to tell you right away.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    Sounds kinda like bloom to me. The oils in the leaf are what cause the bloom, and they can be a bit more concentrated in pockets on the leaf. Mold is a bit more random and usually is all over the place in tiny colonies (at first, then it spreads!). Post up a pic and one of the guys that is a bit more experienced will be able to tell you right away.
    It also helps to know how old the cigars in question are. If they're 6 months old with this stuff on them then it's most definitely mold. 2 years or older, more likely to be bloom; I must agree with the rest in this thread though: pics would be lovely.

• Options
    ive scratcted most of it off, theres still some sparkles, but all ive got is my camera phone and you probably wont be able to see it. i think its probably alright. it doesnt really look like mold, i thought maybe a little of the gel from the humicare pillow got on it or something. it looked how i imagine plume would look if it were condensed. im sure thats all it is. anyway, thanks to everyone who responded.

by the way it came like this when i ordered it from cigar.com, not aged at all.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rfnejkw43:
    by the way it came like this when i ordered it from cigar.com, not aged at all.
    what ciuga was it? did it have a cedar sleeve?
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Could be glue from the label. I thought glue smears were bloom for quite a while.