Home Cigar 101
Options

Cedar-lined Red Oak Humidor?

I am making a humidor out of red oak and lining it with cedar. Does anybody have any experience with this type of humidor? Should I complete it and see if it works or start redesigning it as a knick-knack holder for the wife?... lol.

Comments

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I think WaxingMoon makes humidors for a living...
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It's gotta be spanish cedar, not just any kind of cedar. +1 to asking WM or Cabinetmaker
  • Options
    The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    Cool thanks, I'll ask them .
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Waxing Moon is the way to go...Ed will help you out OR even better make you one.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    If you line it with Spanish cedar than you'll be fine as far as keeping your cigars in a cedar box is concerned. Most humidors are some type of hardwood with cedar lining. Red oak moves quite a bit but if you make it well and have tight, glued edges and a nice fit with the top and the lining is snug there is no reason why it shouldn't be perfect. With the red oak you'll just have to make sure the construction is top notch, that's all.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    If you line it with Spanish cedar than you'll be fine as far as keeping your cigars in a cedar box is concerned. Most humidors are some type of hardwood with cedar lining. Red oak moves quite a bit but if you make it well and have tight, glued edges and a nice fit with the top and the lining is snug there is no reason why it shouldn't be perfect. With the red oak you'll just have to make sure the construction is top notch, that's all.
    Rockin, thanks
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Red oak is very open-grained too. If you decide that's the way you want to go, I'd use filler in the pores before finishing, which might help prevent warpage, and possibly look better in the long-run.

• Options
    Cool, thanks.