Home Cigar 101
Options

Coolidor with purchased cigar boxes: cigars starting to smell like ash trays.

slum_lordeslum_lorde Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hi. I put together a coolidor awhile back, using cigar boxes purchased from a local cigar shop. With some of my cigars, I've been detecting an ash-tray like smell and taste--a smell and taste perhaps imparted from using cigar boxes originally stored in a very smoky environment. Has anyone else had this problem? Would it be possible to save the cigars by perhaps airing them out in some fashion for awhile? I'll have to get rid of the boxes and air out the coolidor and find some other way to store my cigars.

When I put the coolidor together, I did not detect any odors at the time. But at that time my allergies were really acting up degrading my sense of smell.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I don't have an answer for you but I just bought 4 used boxes myself. I wonder if I should take them back or keep them now. I don't smell anyting either but they are there just for space right now.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    slum_lorde:
    Hi. I put together a coolidor awhile back, using cigar boxes purchased from a local cigar shop. With some of my cigars, I've been detecting an ash-tray like smell and taste--a smell and taste perhaps imparted from using cigar boxes originally stored in a very smoky environment. Has anyone else had this problem? Would it be possible to save the cigars by perhaps airing them out in some fashion for awhile? I'll have to get rid of the boxes and air out the coolidor and find some other way to store my cigars.

When I put the coolidor together, I did not detect any odors at the time. But at that time my allergies were really acting up degrading my sense of smell.

Thanks.
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/8/233231/ShowThread.aspx look at my storage on page 8. Works great.
  • Options
    PsychoSJG:
    slum_lorde:

Thanks.
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/8/233231/ShowThread.aspx look at my storage on page 8. Works great.

Thanks. I'm glad you posted that. I'm right now replacing my suspect cigar boxes with plastic containers. I originally looked at drawers such as these, but went the cigar box route instead. The cigar boxes I got fit perfectly into my coolidor, allowing me to use every available inch of space. I'll look into using these once more.
  • Options
    I inquired whether I'd also have to replace my spanish cedar trays which I used in the coolidor, all 6 of them. I was told that, since the trays are designed to absorb moisture, they'd probably also absorb any stale cigar smoke odors and in turn impart those to my cigars, even with the boxes removed. I have perhaps $1000 worth of cigars at risk because of this situation. I guess what I'll have to do is get some small plastic containers to add to the small collection I already have and some pieces of spanish cedar. Then, I'll just drill some holes in the containers for air flow. No use in really going all out, however, if the cigars are already ruined.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I found this article and thought it might help you remedy the problem

Q: The other day I was smoking a cigar and didn't have time to finish it. I let it go out naturally and left it in the tray overnight. The next day I trimmed off the ash back to unburned tobacco. I put the cigar back in my humidor. Well, now my humidor has a whacky smell and I am regretting this decision. Is the humidor ruined, as well as the sticks? - John T. in Colorado

A: Believe it or not, I've actually been waiting for someone to come along with this problem. Even though you were smart enough to cut the cigar back behind the ash, unfortunately, the strong tarry aromas left in the remaining tobacco leaked out and soured the aroma of your humidor.

That said, it doesn't mean all's lost. I assume that by now you've removed the cigar. If most or all of your cigars are still in cellos, they shouldn't have been too badly affected. For those that aren't they should eventually come back. I might be a good idea to collect some Spanish cedar blocks from some cigar boxes and spread them around the humidor. The idea is that over time the odor of the cedar will help eventually eliminate the rancid tobacco smell in there now. Moreover, the natural aroma from the oils in the tobaccos of your cigars as they age should outweigh the "whacky smell" but it might take some time.

If your cigars are in cellos, it might even help to unwrap the top row and let them emit their natural aromas. But hold-off on that until you've noticed the odor has significantly subsided. I would even venture that if you smoked one of your other cigars now, it might not be all that bad once it's been lit. That's about all I can say at this point. Perhaps one of our readers can shed some additional light on this by leaving a comment.

In the meantime, I wish you luck and I have a good feeling it will return to normal. Be patient, and next time you want to save an unfinished cigar, just leave it out. There should be enough moisture in the cigar to keep it supple overnight.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. What I had planned to do was isolate the sticks that have been in the coolidor the shortest time from those that have been in there longer. Then, I'll put those aside into some of my spare humidors to let them rest by themselves. The other sticks, I'll put back into the coolidor once I clean the coolidor up and replace all the spanish cedar. Hopefully, over time, both batches will loose the unwanted infusion of stale cigar smoke. I might even unwrap the cigars and maybe let them set out loose for awhile, to "air them out".
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I don't have any personal experience doing this with cigars, but alot of the members here have done it when storage and odor are talked about:

Newspaper.

One gent had his roomate stick a half burned stick in his humidor that stunk it to high heaven while he was gone. He cleaned out the humidor, let it sit with newspaper in it (which he changed out regularly) and it was effective at removing the odor.

I imagine for your situation you would remove the cigars from the coolidor, leaving the trays (of course, removing the offending boxes). Stuff the coolidor with newspaper and change it every few days. You should notice the smell dissipating.

The newspaper trick may work with the cigars as well, but I'm not entirely sure so I would say either wait for a BORK to chime-in who's done it, or do it with a test batch.

Your trays are most likely salvagable if folks have restored whole humidors.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    kuzi swears by newspaper getting rid of odors.
    One God, One Truth