Home Ratings & Reviews

AF Hemmingway Short Story

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Tried one of these today during lunch...have to say that it turned pretty bitter half way through and had to put it down. What a disappointment, I was looking forward to trying this cigar. I had to fire up a different cigar to get the taste out of my mouth! (AB Prensado)

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I tried the Signature size recently, and it was excellent. I'm considering a box, or at the very least a 5 pack.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I tried the classic a while back and was completely underwhelmed. I've had a hard time going back to AF ever since, but I think I'm finally ready to try them again.
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I enjoy the Hemingway line, especially the work of art in natural and maduro
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I like these, but they are a little bitter. For me it wasn't a bad bitter, more of like a black coffee, dry, bitter taste.
    Light 'em up.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    JCizzle, I would totally agree with this regarding most of the fuente smokes that I've had. so good call on that, man. From my experience they all had a very dry mouthfeel to them. I was very new to cigars when I smoked most of my fuentes, so at first I thought it was bitter but once I knew what to expect and realized that it was the dry mouthfeel, not a bitter taste, I enjoyed them quite a bit. The cheaper fuentes are actually what got me into cigars a while back, and will always have a soft spot in my heart. So, I could see this dry mouthfeel either not being pleasing to some or coming off as bitter to smokers who prefer the heavy oily smokes that give off the heavy chewy smoke that coats your mouth.

That being said I'm no fuente expert as I haven't had many at all in the last 5 years. But before that I did smoke a fair share of the Curly head deluxes, the Original cameroon blend in a few sizes and a couple don carlos' and a few hemingways as well. I had a very immature palate back then, but what I remember all of them had that same dry mouthfeel but the flavors we're very good. I'm actually really craving a don carlos belicoso now. Anyway, since its been so long for me, and I know we have alot of guys on here who smoke alot of fuentes including their higher end stuff which I've never had, I would be interested to hear their opinions on the Hemingway, and Fuente stuff in general.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    @boydmcgowan, thanks for that piece of of info. I just recieved some. Now I now what to expect and not give up on them.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Until recently, I hadn't smoked a Hemingway in close to a decade, since college. Knowing how much my palate has developed in the last two years, I thought I'd give one a go. I had the Hemingway Classic and was completely underwhelmed. I suppose if you are smoker who never goes higher than Mild-Medium, this could be a great smoke. But for anyone whose palate demands some pop, there just isn't anything there.

Even in the world of milder smokes, I'd take the Oliva Connie Reserve over this any day.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive only had one and it was GREAT
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    I Totally love the hem and don carlos line.,
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I've had a few Short Stories now and for me they = win!