Home General Discussion

Still a good value...what?

Like many of us on here, it is common for me to peruse various cigar reviews. Sometimes they are on inexpensive cigars and other times on premium sticks. However, I find it irritating when seemingy every reviewer says something along the lines of,"this cigar is a good/reasonable value at ____ per stick" when the stick is often very average and price quoted can be high or crazy high. $3, $4, $5 for a stogie especially if it is an outstanding smoke...okay you can say that. When you start getting into $10, $12, or $25 for a cigar, even it it's a great stick, you just can't. I think it's fine to say an expensive cigar ($8 and up in my book) is worth the money, but you can't call it a "value" priced any longer. I'm waiting to hear a reviewer say,"This is an okay smoke but $8.00 is too damn much." Just a little time on the soap box...

Comments

• brizzzinebrizzzine Posts: 92
    Well, I suppose everyone has their own opinion about values. I consider a $3 or $4 smoke a value when it tastes like a $10 smoke. Example being a MOW Ruination #2 (10 for $39.99). I consider that a value. Or a $6-7 Oliva Serie V that still satisfies my craving for a smoke that costs 3x as much (like a Padron 1926). I've never really seen any cigars referred to as a "value" if it costs more than $10 though.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with both, and think 8-10 (unfortunately) is the range now where under it can still be called a good deal. I am a bit of a snob and feel that 95% of the time the pricier cigars are the better ones----but again, this doesnt mean an Ashton ESG for example is 4x better than a St. Luis Rey Series G because it is 4x the price. I look at it more of the price vs taste ratio (as I have coined it) and while a $15 Opus may be 2x as good as a Macanudo Im ok with paying 2 x the price. However, as stated above I dont think the Cohiba Behike (although I would freakin love one) is 10x better than a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor despite the price difference.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've learned that some people just have enormous budgets and price is hardly an issue. That's not me, or most of us I believe, but...whatever.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like our different taste in cigars prices are subjective as well. For me a $10 cigar is the norm and what I generally look to stay at or under when looking for cigars. I will recommend cigars that are higher in price to at least try but I rarely say go buy a box. Take the Opus X for instance. $30 for the one I reviewed. I would never pay that much and it was given to me from a good friend. I thought the cigar had great flavors but the burn was worse then any Gurkha and no way was it worth $30. Maybe $10 but not $30. I definitely told people not to go waste their money. It is worth a try if you can get one cheap or in trade.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Its unfortunate that Opus usually take a beating on the price thing, what Opus are usually sold at is not MSRP. Prices on Opus are driven up by the dealers for a number of reasons, 1 being lots of dealers don't have AF accounts and need to buy supply elsewhere driving the price up for consumers, greed is always a part of that too....Opus are well worth MSRP and to many people worth paying more as typically you don't see this stick as someones everyday smoke....everyones tastes are different and I know that I can certainly tell the difference in the quality and appreciate the stick over most others, especially if you can find them at MSRP which is nowhere near the $30 mark...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I always factor cost into how good I consider a stick is. Sticks that are very pricey, but don't meet my standard of what a super premium should be almost never get bought again. Why should they? I'm glad I got to try them at least once though just to see what they're about. I've found several very expensive sticks that I think are worth the price, but those are probably the minority.

Value is a really personal thing that is going to depend on a number of factors. Income, discretionary income, spending habits, free time, how much you smoke per day, or week, where you smoke, when you smoke, and probably several other things I am not thinking of. You just have to find and identify you're own standards of value. I'm just now figuring out mine.
  • brizzzinebrizzzine Posts: 92
    Russ55:

Value is a really personal thing that is going to depend on a number of factors. Income, discretionary income, spending habits, free time, how much you smoke per day, or week, where you smoke, when you smoke, and probably several other things I am not thinking of. You just have to find and identify you're own standards of value. I'm just now figuring out mine.

So true!
  • suneet21suneet21 Posts: 52
    I typically spend on a cigar what I can afford to or am willing to spend at that time.

I don't believe in "value" cigars...you either like it or you don't. When Cigar Afficianado does ratings, they do it blind to the price of the stick.

Only got one set of lungs and a liver, I am gonna use them smoking and drinking the best I can afford, not the best bang for my buck.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My motto is smoke less but better. Who cares if I can get 30 decent cigars for 2 bucks a piece? I would rather get 6 fantastic cigars for the same price. Sure, I may not be able to smoke one every night, but I don't need to smoke a cigar every night.
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    Diamondog:
    Its unfortunate that Opus usually take a beating on the price thing, what Opus are usually sold at is not MSRP. Prices on Opus are driven up by the dealers for a number of reasons, 1 being lots of dealers don't have AF accounts and need to buy supply elsewhere driving the price up for consumers, greed is always a part of that too....Opus are well worth MSRP and to many people worth paying more as typically you don't see this stick as someones everyday smoke....everyones tastes are different and I know that I can certainly tell the difference in the quality and appreciate the stick over most others, especially if you can find them at MSRP which is nowhere near the $30 mark...
    Well said. For $12-14, they are well worth the price.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    brizzzine:
    Russ55:
    So true!
    i also agree with this.
    i have reached the point where i smoke what i want. I have so little room in my humidors that i dont buy that often so when i do shell out the money its for only what i think is great at that moment. i have the Davidoffs, the Avos, Camachos, etc that i love. not all of these are at the crazy high price but it is only stuff i like.

doc said it best with this bit:
    docbp87:
    My motto is smoke less but better. Who cares if I can get 30 decent cigars for 2 bucks a piece? I would rather get 6 fantastic cigars for the same price. Sure, I may not be able to smoke one every night, but I don't need to smoke a cigar every night.
    this is exactly what i do.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    docbp87:
    +1 tho I do enjoy many" cheap" sticks.
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    t_evan50:
    docbp87:
    +1 tho I do enjoy many" cheap" sticks.
    +2 although I do have some value sticks. That way when I smoke them I don't feel bad if I have to throw it out or it gets ruined while cutting grass or washing a car. If i'm gonna sit down and really concentrate on the cigar then it goes to a "higher priced" cigar.