Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cain Daytona #4

Cain Daytona 4

I was thankful to try this cigar earlier than released. Which I was thankful for as it was an immediate buy for me before the official release. I have no reservations suggesting this cigar to anyone that enjoys the Cain profile, but is looking for flavor versus strength.

Preflight

A velvety smooth wrapper with a brownish orange wrapper with triple cap head and a silky smooth body, initial draw of sawdust and cedar noted. Construction is perfect and the draw is as it should be like a creamy milkshake.

First third

A strong red pepper in the nose with a cedar back note strong tobacco noted. Cocoa begins to show up on the sides of my tongue.

Second third

The pepper notes are mellowing. This is a strong medium full notes of cocoa powder flavor.The burn is razor straight. A sweetness on the tongue with cedar and cocoa that continues on through to the final third.

Final third

I am able to retrohale 100% as the pepper has mellowed and moved from the sinuses to the tongue. This allows you to enjoy the flavors much more as the cocoa and cedar are more defined and some leather begins to break through. My mouth beginning to water.

Final thoughts

This is a daily smoke worthy of aging which will take this cigar from grand to stellar. I enjoyed this stick as much as the F, although I would tend to enjoy this cigar much more due to the medium full strength and profile. The #4 is the perfect size and balance. A 40 min smoke that is refined from a Cain F while maintaining the Cain Style. I would buy another box without much hesitation to store and age another 2-5 years. If I can last that long. 2011 Studio Tabac Tour: Some Photos for those interested!!

Below the sampler to include the mysterious Lancero F, ST-DS001, Cain FF, and Nub San Andres Maduro. Signed by the executives...

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the review, but could you elucidate a bit more? Is the Daytona essentially a "Cain F Lite" ? It's being billed as a medium-bodied smoke so I'm wondering if it blasts you with pepper and spice like the Cain F is described as doing. Ccom and sister site are pushing it with upgrade offers so inquiring minds want to know! :)

• Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    I would say more along the lines of a Cain F Medium. It has a pepper and spice but more refined. The flavors are more disearnable since the pepper and spice do not overwhelm the cigar like the Cain F does. I will do a more formal review at a later date as I want to give it my full attention. I smoked it last week so I couldnt do it justice. I knew that once I returned I wanted to share my intial thoughts and due to a more formal release today on C.Com I decided to give those interested a compairison. I would not hesitate buying a box and I just did. So look for more info sometime next week.
  • Options
    Update above, Sampler and Daytona's are in....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Purchased a box of these to split with a couple guys on the board. Really enjoyed the flavor profile of the Daytona, I think with a few months rest it will be quite nice.
  • Options
    Updated with review above.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Nice review, I missed the last box split and will have to wait for another opportunity. I like the idea of the #4 since i have been adding some coronas to my stash.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Mperconte:
    Nice review, I missed the last box split and will have to wait for another opportunity. I like the idea of the #4 since i have been adding some coronas to my stash.
    Might want to hit up Millennium115, otherwise known as Stav, he pm'd me asking about the split. Perhaps he'd be interest in doing one with you.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    When you have a chance could you shoot me a pm with what the price is for that sampler? I'm supposed to have the Studio Tobac event here in Dallas in April and I'm looking to pick up one of those and was just wondering what kind of cash I'm going to have to shell out. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i had similar tastes when i tried this cigar. (review on this page) my only problem is that i think the one i got was not in the aging room long enough. i got it off the rolling table at the oliva factory. so... it was a bit young. the intended flavors were there but the ammonia flavor was there a bit as well also.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i had similar tastes when i tried this cigar. (review on this page) my only problem is that i think the one i got was not in the aging room long enough. i got it off the rolling table at the oliva factory. so... it was a bit young. the intended flavors were there but the ammonia flavor was there a bit as well also.
    There is still a sharpeness of young tobacco, but I dont pick up the sharpness or tang of ammonia flavors so it must have dissapated. I still think another 6 months would balance out the cigar a bit more but it is very smokeable ROTT. It has great aging potential.
  • Options
    BlueRings:
    kuzi16:
    There is still a sharpeness of young tobacco, but I dont pick up the sharpness or tang of ammonia flavors so it must have dissapated. I still think another 6 months would balance out the cigar a bit more but it is very smokeable ROTT. It has great aging potential.
    agreed 100% on that.

of course i got mine a while back with no post roll age... so what should i expect?

i still have high hopes that this cigar will be my favorite of the cain line.

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    When you have a chance could you shoot me a pm with what the price is for that sampler? I'm supposed to have the Studio Tobac event here in Dallas in April and I'm looking to pick up one of those and was just wondering what kind of cash I'm going to have to shell out. Thanks a lot!
    Hey Puro, if I shoot you the money prior to the event, and they let you buy more than one sampler, you mind picking me one up as well? This is the first time I've seen/heard about that Nub San Andreas Maduro. The regular Nub Maduro is absolutely my favorite Nub, and one of my favorite offerings from Oliva in general.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    Hey Puro, if I shoot you the money prior to the event, and they let you buy more than one sampler, you mind picking me one up as well? This is the first time I've seen/heard about that Nub San Andreas Maduro. The regular Nub Maduro is absolutely my favorite Nub, and one of my favorite offerings from Oliva in general.
    PM to you bud.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Sounds good. This almost has me thinking you work for the company with the heavy promotion of 2 Cain smokes lately, lol. Either you loved them that much or you're a paid promoter. No but seriously, I love the Cain Maduro torpedos I have, have 15 more aging for a good long time.
  • Options
    blurr:
    Sounds good. This almost has me thinking you work for the company with the heavy promotion of 2 Cain smokes lately, lol. Either you loved them that much or you're a paid promoter. No but seriously, I love the Cain Maduro torpedos I have, have 15 more aging for a good long time.

I didn't like Oliva's much and as much as the Cain's have impressed me of late. I a just love these cigars. Now if Cain offered me a job to endorse these cigars and supply me with an endless cigars I wouldnt mind.
  • Options
    Just smoked my first one of these and it was great. I agree they have alot of aging potential, and will almost certainly get better with a few months. Even right now though, great smoke.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two sitting in the humi I think I'm gonna have to try my first one this weekend.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    the ST DS001 is going to never make production. it's Padilla's new blend that he will release as the Studio Tabac collaboration but in a 60 ring figurado

• Options
    The STDS001 was straight up nasty, very one sided and too strong where it overwhelm the flavors. I wouldnt put that cigar into production.
  • Options
    How about that San Andreas Nub? Seeing them in the pics you guys have posted of the samplers is the first I have heard about them, did they say when they would be going in to production on those?
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    How about that San Andreas Nub? Seeing them in the pics you guys have posted of the samplers is the first I have heard about them, did they say when they would be going in to production on those?

So far I have only smoked the Lancero, FF, and the ST-DS. I will let report back once I do. So far the Lancero and the FF were awesome.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    BlueRings:
    The STDS001 was straight up nasty, very on sided and too strong where it overwhelm the flavors. I wouldnt put that cigar into production.
    I'm hoping that the 60 ring figurado mellows that out and changes things a little
  • Options
    dennisking:
    BlueRings:
    The STDS001 was straight up nasty, very on sided and too strong where it overwhelm the flavors. I wouldnt put that cigar into production.
    I'm hoping that the 60 ring figurado mellows that out and changes things a little

I'm hopeful, I would like to try it in a longer but smaller ring gauge. What didnt do it for me was the filler, it was too strong and going in the direction of a large ring gauge, like a nub, would place too much in the filler. I am hope it wont, but the filler is what ruined it for me.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:

Finishing up a review on the San Andreas Nub, I believe it is a keeper. I hope they do go into production.
  • Options
    Just read your review, awesome man. I cannot wait to try one of these, they better go into production.
  • Options
    if im not mistaken they are out as we speak.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    That would be awesome, you think Ccom has them? I'll have to see, gonan be picking up a box of Illusione's next week, might have to have Tim throw on a 5er if they have them in already....
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    That would be awesome, you think Ccom has them? I'll have to see, gonan be picking up a box of Illusione's next week, might have to have Tim throw on a 5er if they have them in already....
    CLICK
  • Options
    I was pretty sure at the event that they were not in production yet, the Nub San Andres Maduro. The Daytona is in fully fashion but I didnt think the San Andres Maduro was a regular release. If they are out please PM where I can obtain, and thank you for the info. I really liike these.
  • Options
    BlueRings:
    I was pretty sure at the event that they were not in production yet, the Nub San Andres Maduro. The Daytona is in fully fashion but I didnt think the San Andres Maduro was a regular release. If they are out please PM where I can obtain, and thank you for the info. I really liike these.
    ... now i see what was going on here. sorry, i misread. i still thought we were on the Daytona.