Home General Discussion
Options

Excessive Cigar Smoking (CCOM Forum Supporters are the Greatest)

RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
Excessive Cigar Smoking, is that such a thing? I have a officer who works on the airfield with me. That told me that. Today, he saw me outside enjoying my lunch break with some water and a cigar (Montecristo White). He said, " this is the second day I've seen you out here with a cigar. Don't you think it's kind of an excessive use of that." First I thought to myself , why is he even worried. But, I was incline to tell him, how I'm still new to smoking them. And how I like the different flavors that is produce out of them. Tried explaining to him that, I am developing my palate and in the process it's quit relaxing for me. He kindly told me that he has been smoking cigars for 7 or 8 years. And he enjoys a fine cigar when it's appropriate. And that he smokes them only for a special reason or event. That's why and when you should smoke them. It's not for any old time. There should be a purpose for it. He further told me that I have a long way to go and probably will never understand. Man, I really felt confuse for a second or two. Then I thought about when I first lit a cigar and how after that. I wanted to learn more about smoking them. And my purpose during that time was one, develope my palate and two enjoy a relaxing smoke. Have anyone ever had that said or do you think what he said is right. Truly, I'm not smoking just cause. I've been in these forums for three weeks now. I've asked questions from storage to developing my palate.
Just a little annoyed by that.

Comments

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Keep lighting em up buddy. Just how everyone has different taste for cigars, they have different opinions about em. Some ppl age cigars for years, others smoke em as they get em...dont really matter man. Just smoke em when you get a chance.

I wish I can light up one everyday, but time permits me from doing it. Some times one cigar a week, some times one every two weeks... everyone is different. If you enjoying it, dont worry about what someone else says IMO...

So...what you gonna smoke today?
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I had 4 yesterday lol....I'd love someone to make that comment to me...
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an old case of the "belief-pusher". There's no reason why cigars are only for special occasions. Some non-smokers believe that cigars are for celebrating only, but there's no reason that that is true. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's a great hobby that gives you flavor, time to reflect, time to socialize with friends, and good ol' relaxation. Though there's always the possibility of saving that extra special cigar for the extra special occasion.
  • Options
    zeebra:
    Keep lighting em up buddy. Just how everyone has different taste for cigars, they have different opinions about em. Some ppl age cigars for years, others smoke em as they get em...dont really matter man. Just smoke em when you get a chance.

I wish I can light up one everyday, but time permits me from doing it. Some times one cigar a week, some times one every two weeks... everyone is different. If you enjoying it, dont worry about what someone else says IMO...

So...what you gonna smoke today?

Thanks zeebra, just a little venting. The guy almost made me feel like a little kid because he's a quote un quote, experienced aficionado. But to answer your question, I'm going to have a Padillia Miami for the first time tonight.
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Sounds like an old case of the "belief-pusher". There's no reason why cigars are only for special occasions. Some non-smokers believe that cigars are for celebrating only, but there's no reason that that is true. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's a great hobby that gives you flavor, time to reflect, time to socialize with friends, and good ol' relaxation. Though there's always the possibility of saving that extra special cigar for the extra special occasion.

Best said, you guys are quick responders(Diamondog too). Thanks guys...
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    the aficionados that I know smoke daily.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another control freak. Probably has guilt issues about any activity that brings him pleasure, and justifies this by telling himself (and any other poor soul under his thumb) that: "The Way I Do It Is THE ONLY justifiable way that it should be done. Everyone else is wrong, they'll probably all burn in hell." Screw him. Unless he sprouts a halo and wings and walks off across the lake, he's just another elitist who believes his fun is justified, and all others should be restricted.

Hmm, pretty much describes about half of what's wrong with the world today, maybe we should brand him a terrorist idealogue and shoot him, or get him his own show.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Another control freak. Probably has guilt issues about any activity that brings him pleasure, and justifies this by telling himself (and any other poor soul under his thumb) that: "The Way I Do It Is THE ONLY justifiable way that it should be done. Everyone else is wrong, they'll probably all burn in hell." Screw him. Unless he sprouts a halo and wings and walks off across the lake, he's just another elitist who believes his fun is justified, and all others should be restricted.

Hmm, pretty much describes about half of what's wrong with the world today, maybe we should brand him a terrorist idealogue and shoot him, or get him his own show.

Lol, that's how I feel really. But that's that mans thoughts. Honestly he's, pretty good at his job. I guess extracurricular activities don't suit him, lol...
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can, I usually do 2 to 3 a day. At a minimum, I always have at least one.

I vary them, different brands, strengths, sizes, etc. There is no such thing as "excessive."

• Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Officers never know crap! Let him smoke his cigars his way, you smoke yours your way.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    That's the first I've ever heard cigars are meant for special occasions. You're always going to encounter someone within the cigar world with the attitude that since you're new to the hobby you're beneath them. Just ignore them and keep doing what you're doing. And don't feel bad about 'excessive' smoking, I'll probably light up about four today since I'm off work.
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Like most things people have different motives. For him to make a special event a cigars marks it out. For most of us here we will mark events with special cigars.

Nothing wrong with both, unless someone pushes their "truth" and bring another person down. I got no problem having an open discussion with someone who has an open mind and trying to understand my point of view, but a "you should do this this way blah blah blah" people I just ignore.

The ones that get me going are the ones that say "smoking is bad for your health" as they stuff McD super sized bag of fat into their already expanded guts.
    At work we had a health fair thing. A round lady told me to eat better and stop smoking. I looked at her 300lbs frame and said. I eat health one cheat meal every 6 days, run 3 days a week, lift 2-3 days a week, smoke 3-4 cigars a week and have a perfect on my last check up a few weeks ago that included a full chest, heart and lung work up and scans. Hows your BMI doing these days.

Rant over. The one thing I try to keep in my head is a quote from Clint Eastwood. "Go placidly through the noise of the world", but I somethings go with the other Eastwood quote "Are you feeling lucky punk".
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Isn't being alive, every day a gift, a "special event". Enjoy (and smoke, if you can) every day-it may be your last.
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Next time you step out for a lunch smoke bring an extra. When this buzzkill comes over, offer him one and tell him that today's a special occasion: he's alive!
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Damn, grip! You beat me to it!
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    gripnrip:
    Isn't being alive, every day a gift, a "special event". Enjoy (and smoke, if you can) every day-it may be your last.
    +10.....but with that being said...I agree with the guy....you should stop....I'll take the cigars off your hands:)....
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    When deployed (and for a little while after), I was smoking an average of 4-5 cigars a day. I really, really wish I still could, but I just don't have the time for it now. Screw him, he sounds like an elitist a$$hole anyways. Like pretty much everyone else here has said, do what makes you happy.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    If I don't burn through two I feel slighted. Four a day is more my style and I do it to for relaxing a bit in a high stress environment
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ok... im sorry about this, but there is so much to respond to this that i feel the need to break it down.
    RCY Cigars:
    Excessive Cigar Smoking, is that such a thing?
    yes. yes there is. while in nicaragua i was smoking about 4 cigars a day. that is a bit more than the 4 a week i usually get in. by the end of the tripmy palate was so blown out that food didnt taste the way it was "supposed to"

for Kuzipaluza 2010 i ended up smoking three cigars. not that three is all that many but the last two were very full bodied and full strength.
    Sandman, TatuajeVI, and myself were all so effected by all the cigar smoke that we had to go get some food to feel better.
    RCY Cigars:
    I have a officer who works on the airfield with me. That told me that. Today, he saw me outside enjoying my lunch break with some water and a cigar (Montecristo White). He said, " this is the second day I've seen you out here with a cigar. Don't you think it's kind of an excessive use of that."
    all you need to say is "dont be jealous"
    RCY Cigars:
    First I thought to myself , why is he even worried. But, I was incline to tell him, how I'm still new to smoking them. And how I like the different flavors that is produce out of them. Tried explaining to him that, I am developing my palate and in the process it's quit relaxing for me.
    the best advice i ever got about developing my palate was to smoke more. and it makes perfect sense.

a decade ago, when i first was learning how to cook on a grill on a professional level (steak house), i had a difficult time keeping things in order and knowing what steaks were going what temp. there are times where i have 20 or 30 steaks on the grill that all need to be out quickly, on the right plate, and cooked correctly. it was hard to do when i had never done it before. i was getting pushed by the managers to stop using a thermometer because it puts a hole in the steak that the juice escapes from, and it takes more time that we just dont have.
    as time went on i got better. i first learned to know the temps by how they feel with just a little squeeze between the fingers and later i learned to organize. it took a lot of time. it took a few re-cooks. but now, after cooking maybe tens of thousands of steaks it all comes as second nature. its actually getting fairly zen. it just happens. steaks are done correctly and on the right plate without even thinking about it. now its my job to be the manager and get others to stop using the thermometer and get people to organize.

the point of the story is that cigars work the same way.
    when people first start smoking cigars, most dont have an idea what they are looking for, they just enjoy it. and there is nothing wrong with this at all. most of us here (if not all) have been at that point. then we smoked more and practiced more.
    in short, the more you do something the more you understand it. yes, we all taste cigars. the more difficult concept is "understanding" cigars.

RCY Cigars:
    He kindly told me that he has been smoking cigars for 7 or 8 years. And he enjoys a fine cigar when it's appropriate.
    im sure what is "appropriate" for one is not for another. personally, i would never try to "squeeze a cigar in" on my lunch break (even if i had a lunch break) because i personally feel that i want time to take time with a cigar. a cigar on a time mission doesnt feel right for me.
    a cigar on a lunch break from a stressful job at least makes sense. if you can find relaxation in that short amount of time, good for you. you are lucky. i cant.
    RCY Cigars:
    ...And that he smokes them only for a special reason or event. That's why and when you should smoke them. It's not for any old time. There should be a purpose for it.
    isnt "Thursday" purpose enough?
    RCY Cigars:
    He further told me that I have a long way to go and probably will never understand.
    that's just a **** thing to say.
    RCY Cigars:
    Man, I really felt confuse for a second or two. Then I thought about when I first lit a cigar and how after that. I wanted to learn more about smoking them. And my purpose during that time was one, develope my palate and two enjoy a relaxing smoke.
    a cigar and you have a very intimate relationship. the only person involved is you.
    cigar time is your time to be selfish.
    it is your reward for your hard work that it took to get the money to buy this luxury. dont feel bad that you want to take time to enjoy the good things in life if your work ethic lets you afford them. dont let people guilt you because you choose to spend your money and time the way you want.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    HERE HERE +1....good response!!!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    gripnrip:

True that Brother!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Well said Kuzi.

I know a person with a similar attitude to the fellow mentioned in the original post. He's actually the person that got me interested in cigars in the first place, and when I started it was with the same attitude, but I ran into a problem. I'd have the time, and desire to have one, but no "reason to celebrate". So I'd either not smoke and feel cheated, or I'd smoke and feel guilty for breaking this artificial rule I had created. Finally my wife said "This is stupid Russ. If you feel like having a cigar, have a cigar, don't beat yourself up about it, because then what's the point?" It took me a while to get out of that mindset, but I did it, and I am so much better off for it. Now I smoke when I want, and I actually smoke less now than before, but I actually prefer it that way. I enjoy them more now than ever.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    @ Kuzi...... THAT WAS A THING OF BEAUTY! YOU COOK STEAKS? LOL
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    If it were me, after he made those comments I would've politely told him to go self-fornicate and mind his own business.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Well said Kuzi.

Finally my wife said "This is stupid Russ. If you feel like having a cigar, have a cigar, don't beat yourself up about it, because then what's the point?"
    Amazing, this actually makes me feel really positive. I put some artificial rules on myself sometimes about how frequently I smoke, don't like to do it on back-to-back days, but recently when 2 days in a row were nice weather my fiancee encouraged me to stop being so strict with myself and enjoy a cigar on the second nice day while it was there. I was terrified she might stop doing things like that when we get married and start complaining about it like the other wives people on here talk about. There is hope!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    @ Kuzi...... THAT WAS A THING OF BEAUTY! YOU COOK STEAKS? LOL
    not as much anymore. promotions get more money but they also get me off the line.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ok... im sorry about this, but there is so much to respond to this that i feel the need to break it down.
    RCY Cigars:
    Excessive Cigar Smoking, is that such a thing?
    yes. yes there is. while in nicaragua i was smoking about 4 cigars a day. that is a bit more than the 4 a week i usually get in. by the end of the tripmy palate was so blown out that food didnt taste the way it was "supposed to"

for Kuzipaluza 2010 i ended up smoking three cigars. not that three is all that many but the last two were very full bodied and full strength.
    Sandman, TatuajeVI, and myself were all so effected by all the cigar smoke that we had to go get some food to feel better.
    RCY Cigars:
    I have a officer who works on the airfield with me. That told me that. Today, he saw me outside enjoying my lunch break with some water and a cigar (Montecristo White). He said, " this is the second day I've seen you out here with a cigar. Don't you think it's kind of an excessive use of that."
    all you need to say is "dont be jealous"
    RCY Cigars:
    First I thought to myself , why is he even worried. But, I was incline to tell him, how I'm still new to smoking them. And how I like the different flavors that is produce out of them. Tried explaining to him that, I am developing my palate and in the process it's quit relaxing for me.
    the best advice i ever got about developing my palate was to smoke more. and it makes perfect sense.

a decade ago, when i first was learning how to cook on a grill on a professional level (steak house), i had a difficult time keeping things in order and knowing what steaks were going what temp. there are times where i have 20 or 30 steaks on the grill that all need to be out quickly, on the right plate, and cooked correctly. it was hard to do when i had never done it before. i was getting pushed by the managers to stop using a thermometer because it puts a hole in the steak that the juice escapes from, and it takes more time that we just dont have.
    as time went on i got better. i first learned to know the temps by how they feel with just a little squeeze between the fingers and later i learned to organize. it took a lot of time. it took a few re-cooks. but now, after cooking maybe tens of thousands of steaks it all comes as second nature. its actually getting fairly zen. it just happens. steaks are done correctly and on the right plate without even thinking about it. now its my job to be the manager and get others to stop using the thermometer and get people to organize.

the point of the story is that cigars work the same way.
    when people first start smoking cigars, most dont have an idea what they are looking for, they just enjoy it. and there is nothing wrong with this at all. most of us here (if not all) have been at that point. then we smoked more and practiced more.
    in short, the more you do something the more you understand it. yes, we all taste cigars. the more difficult concept is "understanding" cigars.

RCY Cigars:
    He kindly told me that he has been smoking cigars for 7 or 8 years. And he enjoys a fine cigar when it's appropriate.
    im sure what is "appropriate" for one is not for another. personally, i would never try to "squeeze a cigar in" on my lunch break (even if i had a lunch break) because i personally feel that i want time to take time with a cigar. a cigar on a time mission doesnt feel right for me.
    a cigar on a lunch break from a stressful job at least makes sense. if you can find relaxation in that short amount of time, good for you. you are lucky. i cant.
    RCY Cigars:
    ...And that he smokes them only for a special reason or event. That's why and when you should smoke them. It's not for any old time. There should be a purpose for it.
    isnt "Thursday" purpose enough?
    RCY Cigars:
    He further told me that I have a long way to go and probably will never understand.
    that's just a **** thing to say.
    RCY Cigars:
    Man, I really felt confuse for a second or two. Then I thought about when I first lit a cigar and how after that. I wanted to learn more about smoking them. And my purpose during that time was one, develope my palate and two enjoy a relaxing smoke.
    a cigar and you have a very intimate relationship. the only person involved is you.
    cigar time is your time to be selfish.
    it is your reward for your hard work that it took to get the money to buy this luxury. dont feel bad that you want to take time to enjoy the good things in life if your work ethic lets you afford them. dont let people guilt you because you choose to spend your money and time the way you want.

Wow, didn't think this kind of response would happen. First things first, Tankbonnies, your not getting my cigars. Unless we're trading or you win one of these games on here, lol.

Secondly, kuzi16, I applaud you and I'm not just saying it just to say it. To take the time to break down my already long fraustrating venting session. Is something for everyone to see. Believe me, I hear you. And even with that, seeing the response on here from everyone. Has only made me want to learn more and appreciate it. Thank you sir....
  • Options
    rossdavey2:
    Like most things people have different motives. For him to make a special event a cigars marks it out. For most of us here we will mark events with special cigars.

Nothing wrong with both, unless someone pushes their "truth" and bring another person down. I got no problem having an open discussion with someone who has an open mind and trying to understand my point of view, but a "you should do this this way blah blah blah" people I just ignore.

The ones that get me going are the ones that say "smoking is bad for your health" as they stuff McD super sized bag of fat into their already expanded guts.
    At work we had a health fair thing. A round lady told me to eat better and stop smoking. I looked at her 300lbs frame and said. I eat health one cheat meal every 6 days, run 3 days a week, lift 2-3 days a week, smoke 3-4 cigars a week and have a perfect on my last check up a few weeks ago that included a full chest, heart and lung work up and scans. Hows your BMI doing these days.

Rant over. The one thing I try to keep in my head is a quote from Clint Eastwood. "Go placidly through the noise of the world", but I somethings go with the other Eastwood quote "Are you feeling lucky punk".

Motives, it's always a reason for stepping in when your not asked. I just Chalk it up...
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    RCY: LOL...I just bought a few DD's...i'm fully stocked....
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Hey, I know that guy. He's alone. I smoke 1 cigar following every meal, and sometimes I'll have another later in the evening. Then again, I don't have the cash flow problems of many of you younger guys, and I also have a really cool, climate controlled, man cave. As to health concerns, I used to drink and smoke cigarettes.