Home Cigar 101

question about humidity and temp - UPDATE!!!!

i have a winedor, i dont have it plugged in cause the temp stays in the range of 68-69 degrees. my prob is with the humidity. it ranges from 68-76% i originally used to bags of beads, no i use only one bag of beads, and the humi is still high..... now would the humidity lower if i turned on the fridge? also common sense tells me to keep reducing the beads till i get the right humi.....i believe the bags are 1 lb bags.. i purchased the beads and the winedor from a fellow botl on this forum a few months back. he mentioned to me that he used both bags of beads and small containers of beads in each box within the winedor. he mentioned it was 67 degrees and 67 %.....the only thing i can think of that im doing diff is that i dont have it on......what do you think? ohh one more question , im using beads in my other 2 humis , do they needto be in a mess bag also , or can they be placed in a dish or container with no lid? thanks guys stav

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.Hence if the temperature of the air increases,its capacity to hold the moisture increases provided additional moisture is supplied to the air.That is why,in the equatorial regions,the humidity(particularly absolute humidity) is constantly higher owing to the high temperature coupled with abundant moisture.Over the deserts,despite high temperature,humidity is low-moisture being scarce. On the other hand,relative humidity(which is different from absolute humidity)decreases with a rise in temperature.Because,the relative humidity depends not only upon the amount of water vapour actually present but also on the air temperature.Hence,if no moisture is added,an increase in temperature will result in a corresponding decrease in the relative humidity
  • sdloco30sdloco30 Posts: 32
    The first thing that I think of is whether or not your hygrometer is calibrated correctly? I had a similar problem a little while back (even after calibrating the hygrometer by the book), and it took using my second hygrometer and my buddy's to determine that the one I was using was reading 6rh high.
    Second thing is (and correct me if I'm wrong guys), beads absorb humidity as well as add it. The more beads you have, the easier your winedor will maintain the proper humidity. If you take them out, you loose the amount of beads needed to absorb the humidity.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Why not turn it on and try it?
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Maybe add an oust fan to circulate some air in there.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    sdloco30:
    Second thing is (and correct me if I'm wrong guys), beads absorb humidity as well as add it. The more beads you have, the easier your winedor will maintain the proper humidity. If you take them out, you loose the amount of beads needed to absorb the humidity.
    Yes, beads should draw humidity out if it is too high (based upon what RH% your beads are rated, and whether or not they are already saturated), which is the beauty of beads. They don't just add humidity like traditional humidification methods, they keep it steady by adding or removing humidity (theoretically anyway). So I would say keep as many beads in as possible - the more the better IMO.
  • thanks guys for all your advice, ill let u know if i can keep the rh stable.. thanks again
  • sooo guys , i plugged in the winedor and the humi is 69% and the temp is 68,,,,very happy....thanks to all the advice, thank u my fellow friends...
  • OK guys here is what happened, I made sure the xikar hygrometer was calibrated, then made sure the beads were the right amount, ( cant really have too many beads anyway) and still the humi was high. I had 4 cigar boxes holding my cigars in the winedor........I consulted my neighbor who has been smoking and involved with cigars for many years, and we came to the conclusion to eliminate all the boxes but one, and place the rest of the cigars in a tupperware. So now there is one cigar box, one tupperware container and 2 - 1/2 lb pouches containing beads...........and the humidity reading has been 68% for the past 4 hours.......where before all this change, the average reading of the humi was ranging 75-88%......it was driving me fckn crazy.....thanks to my feloow botls for the support and advice and to my next door neighbor, now my babies can be resting comfortably!!!