Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar cutter

Hi all, I'm a fan of the double blade cutters, but the $10 one I have doesn't really seem to fit the bill.  It's not weighted very well... has a "loose" feel, and doesn't really satisfy my desire for a nice quality cigar tool.  I don't want to spend $150 dollars, but I'm willing to spend more than the $10 I started with.  Was about to buy a Xikar Xi, but wanted to check wtih you all first.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Xikar is, as they say "the best thing to happen to cigars since fire"

I have never heard a bad word about the company-- let alone their products.
    get one.

• Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    Xikar is, as they say "the pest thing to happen to cigars since fire"

I have never heard a bad word about the company-- let alone their products.
    get one.

agreed!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I have to say I was less impressed with my Xikar cutter and lighter than I expected to be. For the money, I expected more.

Nonetheless, the cutter does do its job effectively. The lighter somewhat less so.
  • Options
    Yeah I have both a Guillotine cutter and a punch cutter from Xikar, and they're both quite nice. Can't go wrong with either.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    How important is a cutter - I don't mean in having one, I mean in the difference between a guillotine, punch, v? Honestly, I've only ever used a guillotine and never really had a problem with that. Is there a reason I should go out and get a punch (I did hear they tend to cause plugs, not sure if I believe that, though).
  • Options
    I usually use a guillotine with small-medium ring sizes and a punch for the medium-larger ones. It's just an easier way to cut a cigar without having to worry about having too loose of a draw. Plus it's easier to just punch a cigar when you're outside with friends and it's getting a little too dark to easily see where the cap ends.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    While my Xikar cutter is a lot nicer looking than the cheepie plastic double blade one I've got floating around in my desk, to be honest it doesn't cut the cigars any better IMO. Like ubry, I'm a bit under impressed with the Xikar cutter. Now that's not to say it isn't a good cutter, just maybe that your money could be better spent. To make sure what I just said is accurate enough, I'm going to use that el cheapo plastic one a few times to confirm to myself that is cuts just as well.
  • Options
    I had been using a guillotine cutter when I first started. I recently picked up a punch to try it out and so far I like it better, but I've only used it twice.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    That's funny that this topic came up because I was thinking about asking for a Xikar cutter to replace my el cheapo plastic cutter. Though the blades kinda suck in the plastic one it doesn't really screw any cigars up, I think I only had one get messed up a little when I cut it. Any way to sharpen those or do I just have to buy a new one when it finally wears out?
  • Options
    I think you just have to get a new one. One thing you do get for your money in a Xikar is that the blades can be removed and sent in for resharpening. Or so I'm given to understand. I haven't needed to try it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    My punch seems not as sharp as a punch I have built into another lighter. Though the xikar punch goes deeper, I'm a wondering why it takes a little longer to get the job done. Eh, it still works.
  • Options
    Now that it's been a few days, or a week...whatever since I stopped using my Xikar in favor of my $2 plastic double guillotine. And I can't say anything bad about the cheapy, it has been cutting like a champ, clean cuts, no wrapper tearing. I'm not going to say a Xikar is not a good cutter, but think twice if you really need one or if you just really want one.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I bought a batch of ten single blade cutters for ten bucks a while back. Handy because I can stash them wherever plus I tend to give them away as well. They work just fine.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    ... but think twice if you really need one or if you just really want one.
    they do look nice. ...and that lifetime warranty thing

they do have a fossil mammoth Ivory cutter for about $400.
    thats almost as bad as an $1,100 lighter

I like to think of that kind of stuff as jewelry for the cigar world. Flashy and unnecessary
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Of course these would be great to use on all your HMR's
  • Options
    And we wonder why Golf and Cigars go so well together... Man that's insane, almost as bad as a 1700 pen I saw in an ad in cigar aficionado.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I understand why the cutter is so expensive but what the heck is that lighter made out of that makes it worth 1100$? Is it made out of pure platinum?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    ... but think twice if you really need one or if you just really want one.
    they do look nice. ...and that lifetime warranty thing
    Agreed. And I won't say I don't like mine, but I do feel the need to qualify it. All things being equal, I'd rather pull out a Xikar around friends than a $2 deal anyway, or for that matter at a cigar lounge as well. I only said what I said so people realize that if they can't really afford a Xikar, it's not the end of their cigar smoking world.
  • Options
    lol, yeah it's all about presentation. I fired up a GOF at my cigar shops lounge over the weekend and had a lot of people asking about it, that and my tri-flame lighter. And pulling out a few hundred dollar cutter or something really different will grab an eye.
  • Options
    I found a Xikar on ebay, brand spanking new for 35 bucks shipped, with the leather case. I've been using it without fail ever since. Its a great cutter and works just like any other cutter. The advantage of a Xikar is not that its gonna cut better than any other cutter, but its gonna do it consistently for a longer time. When and IF the blades ever dull, register it to Xikar, ship it off, and they sharpen them for free! All xikar products are guaranteed for life! How can one resist such a guarantee? haha. I sure couldn't.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    I have the Xikar granite (fiberglass) cutter, which works great. The only downside is that I inadvertantly left it in an ash tray, and a lit cigar melted part of the fiberglass. I'd recommend getting one of the metal ones if you're prone to occasional bonehead moves as I am now & again.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    cubbychubby:
    I have the Xikar granite (fiberglass) cutter, which works great. The only downside is that I inadvertantly left it in an ash tray, and a lit cigar melted part of the fiberglass. I'd recommend getting one of the metal ones if you're prone to occasional bonehead moves as I am now & again.
    Hey cubby, Xikar warranties stupidity too. Send it back an they'll send you a new one. They'll send you a new for pretty much anything except loss and I've heard a couple instances where they've sent a new one to someone who lost a product.
  • Options
    Luko:
    How important is a cutter - I don't mean in having one, I mean in the difference between a guillotine, punch, v? Honestly, I've only ever used a guillotine and never really had a problem with that. Is there a reason I should go out and get a punch (I did hear they tend to cause plugs, not sure if I believe that, though).
    I didn't see anyone answer this Luko so here goes. Its all about preference abut here are a few thoughts.

1)A cheap, dull or damaged cutter could and probably will damage the cigar when you use it.
    2)Most people use a punch or v-cutter because it creates a smaller opening in cap. This means a slightly tighter draw but can sometimes cause tar and nicotine build ups in the head of the cigar. Again this is a preference thing.
    3)I use a double guillotine almost exclusively, I keep a cheap bullet punch on my keychain in case I'm ever in a pinch but other than that. My reasoning is this. I love v-cutters they are easily my favorite, I used to cut a x into the cap with two clips from the V and loved it. However, a v-cutter is the easiest one to damage a cigar with because of the way the point digs into the cigar. If its not sharp enough it will tear the cigar to hell. I had this happen too many times and just gave up on them. IMO the punch opens too small of a whole, I will say I've never used a large ring gauge punch though.
    One thing to keep in mind with a guillotine though is you don't want to cut the cap off of the cigar this is where a lot of people go wrong and why many prefer the punches or v's. The guillotine is hardest to control, the quick and easy trick to cutting the proper depth is to lay your cutter flat on a table and open up the blades. Place the head of the cigar in the open blade so the cap is resting on the table. Now clip with the cutter and cap still flat on the table. This will just nip off the cap and help you learn the proper depth, after a few times you'll get the idea of how deep you should be cutting and will no longer need this trick.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    madurofan:
    cubbychubby:
    Hey cubby, Xikar warranties stupidity too. Send it back an they'll send you a new one. They'll send you a new for pretty much anything except loss and I've heard a couple instances where they've sent a new one to someone who lost a product.
    Thanks Maduro, I never would have expected them to warranty owner stupidity but I'll give it a try !
  • Options
    xikarxikar Posts: 2
    urbino:
    I think you just have to get a new one. One thing you do get for your money in a Xikar is that the blades can be removed and sent in for resharpening. Or so I'm given to understand. I haven't needed to try it.

Jacob here from XIKAR. Just a quick point of reference. If you have dull blades or any problem for that matter, go to www.xikar.com, register your product, send it in via the instructions, and we will send you a brand new cutter back. NOTE: If you have an engraved cutter let us know so that your personalized cutter stays that way.

Also, when you register a product (cutter or lighter) you will get a free leather sheath for it.
  • Options
    Excellent information. Thanks, Jacob. I'll register my cutter and lighter when I get home.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    I didn't see anyone answer this Luko so here goes. Its all about preference abut here are a few thoughts.

1)A cheap, dull or damaged cutter could and probably will damage the cigar when you use it.
    2)Most people use a punch or v-cutter because it creates a smaller opening in cap. This means a slightly tighter draw but can sometimes cause tar and nicotine build ups in the head of the cigar. Again this is a preference thing.
    3)I use a double guillotine almost exclusively, I keep a cheap bullet punch on my keychain in case I'm ever in a pinch but other than that. My reasoning is this. I love v-cutters they are easily my favorite, I used to cut a x into the cap with two clips from the V and loved it. However, a v-cutter is the easiest one to damage a cigar with because of the way the point digs into the cigar. If its not sharp enough it will tear the cigar to hell. I had this happen too many times and just gave up on them. IMO the punch opens too small of a whole, I will say I've never used a large ring gauge punch though.
    One thing to keep in mind with a guillotine though is you don't want to cut the cap off of the cigar this is where a lot of people go wrong and why many prefer the punches or v's. The guillotine is hardest to control, the quick and easy trick to cutting the proper depth is to lay your cutter flat on a table and open up the blades. Place the head of the cigar in the open blade so the cap is resting on the table. Now clip with the cutter and cap still flat on the table. This will just nip off the cap and help you learn the proper depth, after a few times you'll get the idea of how deep you should be cutting and will no longer need this trick.
    Thanks, Maddy. I use the double guillotine as well and have never had a problem cutting off the cap. I'll stick with that until the depth perception starts to go...
  • Options
    I've gone ahead and registered my cutter now. I didn't realize there was a complimentary leather sheath to be had simply for purchasing a Xikar cutter. I do really like my Xikar, I'll like it even more in a sexy leather sheath.
  • Options
    At the next kuzipalooza, people can have quick-draw contests.
  • Options
    I was told about the free leather sheath a few weeks ago by a guy at the B&M. I registered my lighter and the new beautiful Redwood Xi3 I was given by a secret santa. Can't wait to recieve the sheaths.