Home Cigar 101
Options

Resting or aging question

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
How should I pack my cigars for resting and should you rotate them occasionally? When I get a batch I pile them loosely in the lg humi using dividers. The cigars are about 3 or so high when done, all in their slots with room on either end to breath. Is this a good arrangement? Should I rotate the cigars bottom to top occasionally or just let them be?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as long as they arent crushed and you have a humidor maintaining proper rH it makes no difference how many high they are stacked. no rotation needed. but if you feel like it, by all means. it wont hurt.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I keep the ones that I'm trying to age the most at the bottom of the humi for no other reason than I figure out-of-site means out-of-mind and I'm less likely to smoke them! Plus the thought of them cozied up directly against the spanish cedar makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...haha. But seriously I don't know if that direct contact would help impart some extra flavor over time. I figure a cedar sleeve can affect taste over time (positively IMO), so why not direct contact with the humi bottom?
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    If you choose to rotate your cigars, you may want to keep the cellophane on them. It can help to prevent accidental damage when trying to take them out, or put them back, or if one of your pet birds decides it will make a fun toy....wait, that's my problem, lol.

I rotate my collection about once a month. Always have, and it works for me. I find that by rotating the sticks, you get a sence of how they feel....too dry or spongy might make you remember to calibrate your higrometer (where is the spell check?).
    I don't keep the cello on (most of) my cigars because I like how they feel. Experts will tell you that the oils from your fingers can rub off the oils from the cigars a little, taking them longer to age, but I rarely listen to anything that extreme.
    After years in the humi, my sticks are still fine, and like other things, it is up to you how often you rotate them. Just do it with gentle hands and you will be rewarded.