Home General Discussion
Options

Need some simple sticks for training my palate

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I'm trying to improve my palate, and after reading kuzi's train-your-palate thread, I got the idea to find some one-dimensional cigars to help me "recognize" different flavors alongside a tasting aid

So can anyone recommend me some very simple, one-dimensional sticks that give off strong flavors of the basics? Like one stick that's entirely leather, another that's entirely wood, another that's entirely coffee, etc?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    5 Vegas Relic- Leather in huge ammounts
    Greycliff G2 Turbo- Cedar
    Perdomo Habano Maduro- Dark Coffee w/ a touch of chocolate

Hope that helps.

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I found the montecristo media noche to be very heavy on cocoa, though there are other notes in there.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    This is tough because all palates are different.
    sol cubano cuban cabinet is very leathery.
    la gloria cubana serie r is a black pepper bomb
    graycliff 1666 is very cocoa in its taste as was the Padilla 32 for me.
    rp signature has a ton of bread flavor
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    sol1821:
    Bolivar I assume? Too easy to open the link. :-) If so, good call.

• Options
    Well, seems I'll be putting a call into Ccom soon - thanks guys!! If anyone has more suggestions, lemme know
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    el mejor espresso.

i think you can figure out the flavor on that one.

any davidoff for musk...
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    el mejor espresso. ....
    +1
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Oliva G Maduro for the espresso and dark chocolate flavors.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    What i think will help also with training your palate is to become very familiar with the most common flavors that appear in cigars. Chocolate, coffee, wood, cinnamon, pepper, rich earth, etc...
    many times people know those flavors or smells but they do not know them. dont just eat food. TASTE it. pay a lot of attention to it. dont just do anything in life. do those things while paying attention to the smells that come along with it. it may sound a bit insane, but make it a point to be even more self aware.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall, my response to my first ITC 10th anniversary was "cashews, cashews, cashews". As always, it's all about the nose. I don't do the "blow it out your nose" thing. I can, and I do get the flavors that way, but also a burn that isn't worth it. By slowly pushing a little smoke out the mouth, and carefully filling my nostrils, but not enough to reach the throat, I get twice the flavor of the "out your nose retrohale", and none of the burn.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I occasionally retrohale, though since it burns most of the time, what I've been doing lately is after blowing most of the smoke out of my mouth, I smack my tongue against the roof of my mouth, kinda like smacking your lips (same sound, actually); although I still can't identify what I'm tasting, this seems to enhance whatever it is that's in the cigar, without the burn.
    kuzi16:
    What i think will help also with training your palate is to become very familiar with the most common flavors that appear in cigars. Chocolate, coffee, wood, cinnamon, pepper, rich earth, etc...
    many times people know those flavors or smells but they do not know them. dont just eat food. TASTE it. pay a lot of attention to it. dont just do anything in life. do those things while paying attention to the smells that come along with it. it may sound a bit insane, but make it a point to be even more self aware.
    Good idea; most of the time I just wolf down whatevers in front of me - taking it slower should help

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Punch Gran Puro has a lot of cinnamon flavors.

Bahia Blu is a great one to recognize goat's ass.