Home Cigar 101
Options

New Humi, yah!

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I got my new 300 count humi today, very happy about it. Though I did notice that when I drop the lid it just falls shut, no "vacuum-ish" ness; if that makes sense. I'm thinking it's because of the large dome lid, but this would be my first large humi so i just wondered if any of you thought this would be okay. I will post some pics as soon as my camera battery charges.

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hm. Hard to say, feebs. You should try the dollar test.
  • Options
    seems to hold up to that test.. well I guess I'll see if it is all good when I get it all seasoned.
  • Options
    That's a promising sign. Seeing if it stays stable once you get it seasoned will be the real test.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Which one did you get? I got the Dome one from here. The top is so heavy that I don't get a swoosh either.
  • Options
    Well that makes me feel better, I got it from another place, seems to be made well and it got good reviews.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Congrats on the new humi. I need to find myself a new one because I'nm out of space. Maybe I should start looking for a Christmas present to myself.
  • Options
    Seems as though this boy does keep humidity well, had beads in humi for about 3 days and I get a solid 67-68 RH. This was rather fast in my experience, but it seems to be holding. I'll get some pics shortly, I would recommend this humi to anyone.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Seems as though this boy does keep humidity well, had beads in humi for about 3 days and I get a solid 67-68 RH. This was rather fast in my experience, but it seems to be holding. I'll get some pics shortly, I would recommend this humi to anyone.

Would really like to see the pics.. I have been looking also for a 250-300 ct.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I didn't wait for mine. I used a sponge and lightly wiped it down and then filled it about 8 hours later. Could have been more but I don't remember. I also had the two rectanguler humidifiers going to. I found that even after a week, the humidity level was really high. I just leave it open for a little while once a day and now it is around 67%.

I had to get it going quickly because I had all those Grand Age Churchills that needed to be put in a box quickly plus I wanted to get everything I had out of bags an into proper storage. I really like it too. Works great and holds lots.
  • Options
    Well just got done filling it up, man, I had more cigars than I thought, I already need another one.. hmmm....

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sweet phobic, I've got two of that same humidor I like them very much, though the insides of mine look nothing like yours...I don't have any damn room for dividers, I'm surprised every time I open it that it closes under its own power...jam packed is an understatement here.
  • Options
    I don't have room for dividers either. One of these days I'll take some pics. Right now, that would require too much work and the little bit of time I have.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I like the humidor - I saw this today online - wondered if this was yours. I Like the way you have it laid out, and damn do I like your smokes!

Thanks for sharing the pics!
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Well I'm officially jealous Squirrel, so many stogies in there I want to try, especially the CAO Sopranos. And a mighty fine looking humi to boot.
  • Options
    thanks guys, yeah I had to take out some of the dividers, only have one in the bottom now, seems to have added some room. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get one more and have that one for everything other than the premium types (AF,Gurkha,padron)..
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Very nice Phoebs. Your smoke selection looks a lot like mine except comparing my humidor to yours is like comparing Hong Kong to middle America. Can you say overcrowded? My smokes are struggling for breathing room. I really need to get a new Humi. Can you pm me some info on yours, I really like the way it's set up.
  • Options
    check pm!
  • Options
    where did u get it i am looking for a new humi i like the way yours looks.
  • Options
    smokester:
    where did u get it i am looking for a new humi i like the way yours looks.
    check your pm buddy
  • Options
    Thanks for the site.
  • Options
    Very nice, Feebs! Both the humi and the collection.
  • Options
    I too would love to know where you got it. Looking for one just like it.
  • Options
    mattshell:
    I too would love to know where you got it. Looking for one just like it.
    I'm sure this isn't where he got it, but here is the same humidor if you are looking.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-EVHUM6-250
  • Options
    Damn, that's it. Not too far off than what I paid.. I wish the bottom was a little deeper, seems that the trays are set up to hold more than 2 rows. I'd rather have another layer or so in the bottom. Though I do love it other than that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Damn, that's it. Not too far off than what I paid.. I wish the bottom was a little deeper, seems that the trays are set up to hold more than 2 rows. I'd rather have another layer or so in the bottom. Though I do love it other than that.
    That's the one I got + the 10% off the price you see. I like it but it only has 146 and it is filled. Granted, most are Grand Age and Warlords.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a lot of large ring sized cigars (gurhka) and though I have taken many cigars out of it to leave more room for some stuff coming, I wish it was a little larger. The 300 is a little mis-labeled.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah, I have a lot of large ring sized cigars (gurhka) and though I have taken many cigars out of it to leave more room for some stuff coming, I wish it was a little larger. The 300 is a little mis-labeled.
    Yours said 300? Mine said 250. Hrm.... Maybe 250 normal size cigars like coronas. Oh well, I am still happy with it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    The 300 is a little mis-labeled.
    It's not so much that it is mislabeled, but rather that the cigar count is calculated based on a certain sized cigar...don't ask me which one as I've no clue. Needless to say though, based on my experience, your experience and countless other experiences, they are not sized based on a lot of the cigars we keep in them.
  • Options
    I read somewhere -- probably around here somewhere -- that the capacity calculation goes back to classic Cuban cigar vitolas, which tended to be smaller than what most of us smoke these days. More like, as rw mentioned, a corona.

I have no idea if that's true, but I read it somewhere so now I have to repeat it. It's a rule.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks guys. Too bad it's not off say, toro's.