Home General Discussion

Gurkha blends?

Never really dived into the brand other than the Centurian and thought it was ok but nothing special. Those of you who love the brand, what do you suggest I try that migt change my grim opinion of the brand? I want to give them an honest try and I have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you didn't really care for the Centurian. Here's my suggestions below:

If you like something mild and creamy, try the Symphony or Beauty.

If you want something medium strength with lots of chocolate, cocoa, and earth, go for the Assassin, Evil, Doble Maduro (if you can still find them), Ninja, Legend, Black Dragon, or Blue Steel.

If you'd like something more spicy with floral notes, I'd suggest the Viper.

As you may have noticed, Kaizad Hansotia tends to lean more towards the medium strength blends with the sweet chocolate and earth profile.
  • Yea, I just wasnt wowed by it.. Not bad but expensive for what you get. I think I didn't like the flavor profile and that is why. It's also an uphill battle cause I hang with a Gurkha hating crowd. My buddy that runs the B&m here has most of their line, but REALLY doesnt like them so it's tough. Lol.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I like the Legend & Black Dragon
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the Symphony.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I love the Centurian.
    Assassin
    Shaggy
    and the Symphony

• Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Yea, I just wasnt wowed by it.. Not bad but expensive for what you get. I think I didn't like the flavor profile and that is why. It's also an uphill battle cause I hang with a Gurkha hating crowd. My buddy that runs the B&m here has most of their line, but REALLY doesnt like them so it's tough. Lol.
    X2 on the hating crowd, the B&Ms and people in my area are the same way. I like the triple ligero out of all of them as an everyday smoke, centurian is okay...be on the lookout for deals, you cn usually fine them everywhere if you look
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I love the Centurian. However, not everyone seems to like the sungrown Connie wrapper, I guess. Chances are, if you don't like the Centurian, you won't like the Grand Envoy. Don't know if that would affect your opinion on Davidoff or not since they have a lot of sungrown Ecuadorian connie leaf, though.

Also, if you like cognac, try out the Grand Reserve line.

And I understand your situation, Iced Guardian. There's a lot of Gurkha hate mostly for their marketing strategy and their numerous blends (though they'll be the first ones to say that they're trying to make something for everyone). However, I could care less about the marketing. I like the way (most of) their blends taste, no matter what any Gurkha hater or RP lover says lol.

But oh well. A good cigar is a good cigar and your tastes are your own. If you know you like a certain blend, don't let anyone tell you differently.
  • Exactly why I wanted to give them a real try before I write them off. I'm even going to revisit the Centy at some point. I am by no means a particular strength smoker. It's all mood for me. I'm in the middle of an Avo right now and I love stronger blends like JDN Antano Dark Corojo when the mood strikes. Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the Symphony is a must try since most of you mentioned it. And I've always wanted to give the black dragon a try if not for the cool name lol.
    Almost forgot about the Grand Envoy

stephen_hannibal:
    Almost forgot about the Grand Envoy

X2, forgot about those as I also have them as a regular smoke but haven't lit one up in a long time
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I have some for ya bro.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My .02 - stick with their "less pricey" blends. The Park Avenue is a really nice connie, as is the Sherpa CAFE (the CAFE on that is muy importante, as the regular Sherpa is a dog rocket!). As someone stated above, the Triple Ligero is a really nice smoke if you want something a bit stronger than the standard Gurkha fare.

All of the ones I mentioned above can be had for around $40 a box, less if you keep your eyes peeled for specials and bargains.

Other than those, Gurkha is waaaay too proud ($$$) of their sticks with little reason to be.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    +1 to the less pricey thing. I don't like Connies much and the PArk Avenue was a really enjoyable smoke. As was the Empire Series that was a conneticut.

On the whole I'm pretty neutral on gurkha. I have a few that I enjoy but I'm certainly not going to try all 30+ blends they run. I also agree that Gurkhas tend to run more medium and smooth on the whole. My favorites are the older lines. The Gurkha Masters select perfectos are solid, and the Regent is a good smoke as well.
    The longer this thread goes the more I realize I like a ton of Gurkha blends... LOL.

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    +1 Gurkha Evil, Symphony, Ninja, regent
    Park Ave Maduro is a good inexpensive flavorful smoke
    I love Empire series IV and VI
  • stephen_hannibal:
    The longer this thread goes the more I realize I like a ton of Gurkha blends... LOL.

Lol.. When I posted this, I had you and Wayne in mind cause I know you guys are into them.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    stephen_hannibal:

Lol.. When I posted this, I had you and Wayne in mind cause I know you guys are into them.
    PM...

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Beauty, Park Avenue, Triple Ligero, Centurion is OK but maybe over-hyped. Beast was also good, Titan also, but you'd better eat first and have the time to smoke it. I have had some burn and draw issues with various Gurkhas, but I've never understood the overwhelming hate that some seem to have for it, Oh, I just thought of another couple, the C-10 was very good, and the Empire V, which is the only Empire I've had so far, keep planning to try more, but $$$$$$$$$ for smokes have led me down other paths.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • stephen_hannibal:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    stephen_hannibal:

PM...

PM returned
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Don't think I've seen it mentioned, but I'm a big fan of the Blue Steel in general, and more so when factoring price into the equation. The old toro version was nice but tended to have draw issues, the new torpedo is right on with the taste and the draw has been perfect on the two I've smoked so far. Considering that I picked them up for under $3 a pop, they are a great buy.
  • Yea, I think It was mentioned, but not in great detail. Sounds like a solid smoke. I'll be sure to put it on my list. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Gonna have to chime in here and say the Signature 1887 Habano is my favorite Gurkha so far. Very unique smoke with subtle flavors and a medium body.

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't take cigars seriously enough to "hate on" an entire brand. That being said, I know Gurkha makes a ton of stuff and I've had maybe 10 or so of their blands and there weren't any I didn't like. I did really enjoy the Centurian, but I didn't pay full price for it. The Black Dragon robusto is one of the better maduros I've had.
    Light 'em up.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Found the Gurkha Crest very tasty. Bought 10 sticks for 39.99 from the Gurkha Guerrilla Warfare a while back. Smoked 2 right off and they were very good, med to bold but very smooth. Have the other 8 resting until vacation, if they make it. Probably order some Triple Ligero next. So many Gurkha's, so little $.
    JCizzle:
    I honestly don't take cigars seriously enough to "hate on" an entire brand. That being said, I know Gurkha makes a ton of stuff and I've had maybe 10 or so of their blands and there weren't any I didn't like. I did really enjoy the Centurian, but I didn't pay full price for it. The Black Dragon robusto is one of the better maduros I've had.
    Now that I think about...I think the amount of Gurkha blends ccom originally had increased. I can see how it can be overwhelming....they darn near take up the entire middle column. I don't remember there being so many 3-6 mos ago
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just throwing my .02 in there, but I tend to keep these on hand and find them to be excellent smokes:

Beast
    Signature 101 Maduro
    Symphony (one of only about three connies I keep on hand)
    Empire VI
    Royal Brigade (you don't see alot of love for these, but I think they are one of my favorite Cameroon wrappers)
    Legend
    Titan

I haven't had one in a looooong time, but I am also really fond of the Ancient Warrior. And rounding it out, the Class Regent holds a soft spot in my heart because it is one of the first real cigars I ever tried.
    I have some Beasts resting, now my curiousity is piqued.
    Light 'em up.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Wake one of those puppies up, you'll be glad you did.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    JCizzle:
    +2.....Definitely give one of those puppies a go when you've got around 2 hours to kill, you won't regret it.
    alienmisprint:
    Amos Umwhat:
    JCizzle:
    +2.....Definitely give one of those puppies a go when you've got around 2 hours to kill, you won't regret it.
    I will take you guys up on your advice.
    Light 'em up.