Home General Discussion
Options

Smoking a cigar that has already been lit

So what is everyone's rule on relighting a cigar that has been sitting for awhile? Do you do it, or just pitch it and light another one?

How long is "too long" to wait? What have been your results?

I normally don't do it unless it's only been an hour at the most but I have been known to try and go back and I've had mixed results on this.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If it's been any where near an hour, I won't even try - only time I re-light is if it goes out because I didn't draw often enough
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Nope. Unless it has just been a minute, then I won't bother. Not a fan of bitter, acrid, ash flavored cigars.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I may give it a try from time to time. I usually smoke the whole thing but once in a while will have to put it down. Up to about an hour. Never the next day or anything. I gave my plumber a cigar last week as he left the job site and then seen him the next morning to find him smoking the same cigar. He seemed happy but the stick had to be rank. My buddys dad will smoke a cigar over the entire day and he's happy with that as well.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    You'll find both sides of the topic here. I think its just preference. If you don't mind it, go for it. If you dislike the thought or relighting, then grab a fresh smoke. That same topic or incident came up yesterday. A buddy clipped the cherry off when he had to take off running. When it calmed back down, we meet back in the smoking spot and he relit it. He said he doesn't mind it. Myself on the other had, prefers a fresh smoke. If something interrupts the event, then next time I smoke I grab a new one. The choice is yours...smoke 'em if you got 'em though!
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I hate relighting cigars, at least I did. Once I got back into cigar smoking I did some research and found an article (which has been lost back to the internet). It said to do all the normal blowing out and stuff, then it said to blow at the flame through the cigar for about 5 seconds. I wouldnt suggest doing this on anything uber premo, or after more than an hour, but it seemed to do an ok job of keeping the taste pretty much the same.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Unless I'm re-lighting it ('cause it went out for some reason); it's done. (After 10 minutes).
  • Options
    long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Yeah an hour is usually it for me but my pesky brother in law (ashtray as we like to call him) will light the damn things 24 hours later. I normally think it's a crime to not finish a cigar the first time around. ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    If it's been any where near an hour, I won't even try - only time I re-light is if it goes out because I didn't draw often enough
    this is the only way for me
  • Options
    bobdbobd Posts: 71
    My wife's 90 year old grandfather will carry a half smoked stick in his pocket for a day and then relight it. I think that is disrespectful to the cigar and gross, but maybe when someone has smoked cigars for 70 years they can do those things.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bobd:
    My wife's 90 year old grandfather will carry a half smoked stick in his pocket for a day and then relight it. I think that is disrespectful to the cigar and gross, but maybe when someone has smoked cigars for 70 years they can do those things.
    wouldnt that stink?
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    A 90 year old grandfather?.....Possibly.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would relight it if i was smoking it and it went out...but other than that...the cigar is garbage.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Krieg:
    I would relight it if i was smoking it and it went out...but other than that...the cigar is garbage.
    +1 No way I could come back to one that has been stewing around. Toss it and grab a fresh stick!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    V you are soooo mean!!!
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    A 90 year old grandfather?.....Possibly.
    That's dam funny...
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It depends on the cigar.