Home General Discussion
Options

20 years a reflection of self study.

In looking back over the years, and how I got started in smoking cigars, there are many memories of family, friends, and time of relaxation and reflection. I see how my interest in the hobby grew from exposure and experiences  . I started with visiting my uncle as a child as he smoked his Hoyo Rothschild's and remembering the smells of tobacco wafting through the house as he would sit in his favorite chair eating and drinking the finest foods and listening to stories of cigars through out the years.

Moving on to adulthood, the day before the wedding, my first cigar was a Hoyo Double Corona IV   thinking if it was the right choice or not. The wife not the cigar. Picking out my first humidor a red cherry 50 count and my first lighter a red blazer torch. Buying my first box of cigars, a box of Opus X Double Coronas, upon opening my insurance agency.

My first box of Cuban cigars, Hoyo Double Coronas, celebrating a gold metal in sales. Purchasing my first cigar collectors item a Reed and Barton Diamond Crown humidor after contracting on my first house named it BlueRings and smoking my first Cohiba Esplendido after moving in. My trip to Chicago during my meal at Morton's receiving my first pre embargo Hoyo Epicure #1 from my cigar friends, and thinking to myself this could have tobacco from my Grandfathers Estate in Cuba before he was exiled, my mother only 21.  My first trip to Cozumel going to Casa de Habano's on the second floor overlooking the gulf of Mexico with a Spanish Galleon mored off shore smoking my first Montecristo A. My first Robania in St Martin from the Davidoff Store watching the tourist walking by on the beach.

My first Fuente Between the lines over at Edwards on a Saturday morning, "I got something special for you boss." Second time I heard that from my tobacconist  he handed me a Pardon 1926 before it ever hit the shelves. My 40th at my favorite B&M where my wife rented out the place on a Saturday night for a private party and was given a box of Padron 44. Dinner at Charlies for my 41st with a 50 oz porterhouse and 26oz lobster tail finished off with a Opus ****.  Then there is today the first day of spring lunch at Maggianos with my beautiful wife and a My Father #4 Lancero writing my history as a cigar aficionado over the last 20 years. Life is good and keeps getting better. Don't smoke out of need, smoke for the love of life.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Amazing story and a life lesson - definitely a great post!!
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    xmacro:
    Amazing story and a life lesson - definitely a great post!!
    Thank you xmacro, it was twenty years ago today I had my first cigar. It is hard to believe 20 years, but I am so grateful for all those experiances, and they are so vivid as they were yesterday. These are stories that I want to share with my boy when he is of age. So we can share them again in 20 more years when I'm in my sixties and have 40 years of stories to tell.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Great post. What makes life even better is looking back at these memories and moments. Usually the best moments can't be planned, they just happen. I wish you many fine cigars and more good memories my friend.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    nice post

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Thank you for the replies, this is what makes it such a great experiance is sharing and learning from others experiances.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Blue. Here's to another 20 years of celebrations and stories.
  • Options
    JapilisJapilis Posts: 11
    amazing post. its this type of emotion i try to explain to my female friends about the joys of cigar smoking, and might i add i don't know if i am more impressed at the steak and lobster or the cigar for your dinner!!
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Great post. Got me thinking back over the last 30 years that I have been linghting up cigars. (yup, I said "30"). I still look forward to trying new brands and blends and enjoy some of the same over the many years. I will soon be enjoying a second "wedding smoke", as I will be taking the plunge for the second time in my long years...but this time my Grand-Daughter will be there....wow! That's more impressive than the cigar I hope to enjoy!!

• Options
    Japilis:
    amazing post. its this type of emotion i try to explain to my female friends about the joys of cigar smoking, and might i add i don't know if i am more impressed at the steak and lobster or the cigar for your dinner!!

I over did it. That lobster had to be over 5lbs for a tail that size and the steak was the size of a hubcap. I also had several drinks and the funny part is I purchased that cigar at Charlie's that night. They had a good choice of cigars.
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Love the line

"Don't smoke out of need, smoke for the love of life".

Gotta remember that. Thanks for a great read.