Home General Discussion
Options

Cain F vs Classic Cuban

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I've never had a classic Cuban cigar but have been told the closest non-cuban you'll find to one would be the Cain F.   Just curious what thoughts are on this and if you disagree what would you say would be closest?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Disagree strongly, the Cain F is too unbalanced to be compared to a Cuban profile, which tend to be fairly well balanced in my experience. To my palate, one of the most cubanesque NC cigars around (that I've smoked) is the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet culebra.

edit: The above is not in reference to a "classic Cuban", as I don't know what that profile is like, so my post is in regards to current Cubans.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    geeez... now i need to try a cain f
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I've had a Cain F and I would say that the flavor profile is similar to an ISOM San Cristobal. I would group the Tat Red in there as well though. Every palate is different
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    geeez... now i need to try a cain f
    +1
    I never tried the cain F so now I need to try it. But it really would depend on what CC your comparing with no?
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Agreed^. That said, I have never had a NC that has the distinct tangy earth flavor that most habanos have, that I have smoked. For me, I wouldn't want a Cain F to taste like a "typical Cuban cigar". That's not what it is going for. The Cain F should taste like a Nicaraguan Ligero powerhouse. Which it does. I'm not a huge fan of the Cain cigars, pretty much for this reason. They don't have much in subtlety, and really are all in, balls to the wall, heady strong cigars. Not my thing personally. Also, there aren't really (in my experience) any Cuban cigars that pack in enough ligero to be as strong as the Cains. What the Cuban market considers "Full bodied, full strength" is significantly milder than what the NC market has come to with regard to strength... Even the fuller bodied brands like Partagas and Bolivar aren't really on the same wavelength as the NC "full bodied" stuff.
  • Options
    ill have to review one.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I do really like the Cain F but I feel that they is way too one dimensional "novelty"-esque type cigar to be considered a classic anything. It's more of an experience than a cigar. That said, Don Pepin Blue, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, and Padilla 1932 seem the most "cuban" to me
  • Options
    maybe that has to do with the vitola. if it was one of the shorter fatter vitolas then your statement would not surprise me in the least.
  • Options
    RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    First off Ironhorse is apparently the great corn holio. Someone get him some TP.

The closest non Cubans in my experience has been the Pepin JJ series, RP Sungrown(aged), RP Olde World Corojo and also right up there is the Pepin Vegas Cubanas and the Perdomo Grand Cru Corojo.
    But that aside, taste is pretty subjective. I will have to give the Cain F a go and someone mentioned the Sol Cubano Cuban Classic, that one I really need to try.

-Regards and Long Ashes!

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't know if it tastes like that or not (I'm thinking no), but anyone saying "something" is the closest tasting non Cuban, sounds like they're trying to sell something.
  • Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    my pallete is far from the most refined, but ive had my share of isoms, and there is something that i just cannot put into words. to me it is a very distinct cuban twangy type flavor. i think the "general" consensus is dr=milder nic=fuller honduras=somewhere in b/w. but no other country can produce tobacco (imo) which can replicate this distinct twang. to me isom's are very good, but overated, partly because they are the original birthplace of the cigar?? i dont know anyway just my 2c.
  • Options
    after reviewing a cain f i odnt se any of the cuban profile in there. it has good flavors but not the cuban flavor IMHO.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    after reviewing a cain f i odnt se any of the cuban profile in there. it has good flavors but not the cuban flavor IMHO.
    It's funny how two people have so different palates. Yours is more advanced though, based on how many sticks you smoke. I thought the F was very similar to the San Cristobal Muralles. That's what makes this hobby great. different smokes for different folks.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    kuzi16:
    It's funny how two people have so different palates. Yours is more advanced though, based on how many sticks you smoke. I thought the F was very similar to the San Cristobal Muralles. That's what makes this hobby great. different smokes for different folks.
    i thought it was closer to a non cuban davidoff especially through the nose.

of course i also smoked it in the lancero size and that probably influenced the taste quite a bit. i wanna pick up some in the larger ing sizes and see what it does to them.
  • Options
    yeah, i smoked the robusto size and compared it to a Muralles torp