Home General Discussion
Options

Becoming a daily smoker

Currently in Afghan on deployment. Pretty new to the everyday cigar smoking type of life, so I am not sure where to start. I ordered the 90- Rated Sampler Pack. Came with Cusano Corojo, Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, CAO Gold, 5 Vegas, Gurkha Regent. Just got them in today! I am getting ready to smoke the CAO Gold. Just trying to find out what I like and dont like.....any suggestions? I have a small humidor on the way out here as well.

Comments

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome to the forums. I'm fairly new to the hobby myself. There is no wrong or right, it's all about what you like!
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to you, sir. Give the House Blends a try, get the sampler, read the descriptions. It gives you an idea of types of cigars that you might like, or not, at a reasonable price
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Welcome to you, sir. Give the House Blends a try, get the sampler, read the descriptions. It gives you an idea of types of cigars that you might like, or not, at a reasonable price

+1... Welcome to the forums, be aware. If your hanging around here, a small humidor is only going to upset you in the long run. Agree, the house blends are the way to go. Don't spend all your money like I did,I mean still do, lol...
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, welcome and thank you for serving. This is a great forum and as new as I am, I have learned so much from the masters on this site. As a newbie myself, all I can say is just enjoy each cigar you try. Started about 4 months ago here with some samplers and just kept trying them. Got a best of 2010 mild, medium and bold. Usually I would drink coffee when I smoked something new. I drink alot of coffee so a cigar must be good with coffee first, and I could get a better initial "taste test" of the cigar. Found that I prefer the medium to bold cigars, they are very good with whiskey (Crown Select) too. Just grab one, light up and start the madness, drink smoke and repeat as needed.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    welcome! My first piece of advice: order a bigger humidor. That is not meant to be comic. When you go to order your bigger humi, whatever you initially put in your shopping cart, remove and add a larger capacity one.

Other than that, it sounds like you are already on the right track, just grab whichever samplers catch your eye until you have a good grasp on what you like and dislike. The Ccom custom sampler is an awesome tool for this once you have at least some idea of what you are looking for in a cigar.
  • Options
    wtm114wtm114 Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the responses! The CAO Gold was pretty good. I have ordered another humidor for my house back in the states. The space we have out here is limited, so I ordered a smaller one. When I get back I will switch over. However, I am making a few purchases for the bigger one already so my wife can throw them in there for me to enjoy when I get back. I do have another question - Are the cigars in the sampler I bought considered every day cigars? I see some on here for less than 2 bucks a stick, which I thought were daily smokers compared to the 5 or 6 a stick. I understand it depends on your funds, but what price range would a daily smoker usually run? Thanks.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    To me, 2-6 bucks is a daily smoker. However, hang around here long enough and you'll find that you rarely pay retail for cigars. Whether it be by trading or getting great deals on this site, you'll save a bunch.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

You're right, the budget which defines what a daily cigar is varies from brother to brother. Some would consider a daily smoke to be $2 or less (gran habano 2002, house blends, etc.) while some have much larger budgets. Most of us don't get to smoke every day so we spend a little more on the smokes we enjoy.

If you're new to the hobby and ordering online let me give you some money saving advice: don't just flip through the pages and fill a cart to buy. This is the most expensive way to shop, even though it's still considerably cheaper than buying them from a B&M (brick and mortar). It's cheaper to exercise patience and wait for deals to come up on sale (daily deals and weekend blitzs). The discounts offered on these sales are so discounted I'd say, on average, they're as cheap as you'll ever find them.

With this in mind you can really increase your quality of cigars to smoke daily as you will be able to get many, many premium cigars for $2.50 to $4 that normally sell for much more even on-line. Samplers are a great way to start exploring because there are no rights or wrongs because every palate is different; what one considers junk another considers gold and vice versa.

Exercise patience, explore daily deals and get the highest quality cigars your budget can afford as there's nothing more disappointing than a disappointing cigar.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums buddy! Pull up a chair and stay awhile. I would also agree with what Alien said.....I would buy a bigger humidor, I know it sounds crazy, but your humidor will fill up fast ;) As for which smokes to try, you're on the right track. When I started out, samplers are all I bought for about 6 or 7 months. And starting out mild then worked my way up to fuller bodied sticks. Thanks for serving and stay safe over there.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Stay a while and enjoy the brotherhood that is the ccom forum. There are some very knowledgeable and friendly guys here. Stay safe and enjoy your new found hobby!
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Ccom forums. I agree with everything said, the brothers here know what they are talking about. The main thing is to enjoy and have fun doing it.
  • Options
    The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    hey brother, welcome to the forums been to the Stan back in 2003-04 had a great time there. Like its been stated before this is one of the better sites where all the gurus of the leaf gather. don't be hesitent in asking quiestions, if you can't find an answer in any of the threads post it and it will get answered. I would have to suggest the Man O' War. They on the higher end of price, but will give you kick in the mouth thats worth every penny. take it easy and keep you kevlar close, later.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Hey brother! Just saw your post & flipped out a little. I noticed in your profile that you're currently in Kandahar - I served in Kandahar about 9 years ago! I hope KandyLand has gotten a little less smelly, cause I know for d@mn sure it hasnt gotten any less dusty or rocky! LOL Make to be smart over there, keep your head on a swivel & get home safe to that wife you mentioned. And again, as some others have already said, thank you for your service to our nation.

I will piggyback on what the others have been saying - the CCom House Blends sampler is a great way to find out what agrees with your particular palette and what doesnt. Also something to keep in mind, your palette WILL change over time... what you arent wild about today might taste a whole lot better to you in 6 months or a year.

Another thing when you're firt starting out - TAKE NOTES! Even if its just one of those little green pocket sized notepads that all GI's seem to carry, and even if the note you make on a cigar is just the date you smoked it, what it was, and either "liked" or "didnt like" or a number score. The cigar scene CAN be a little overwhelming when you first get into it - the amount of different cigars out there is massive. Keeping notes will 1) help you start noticing patterns in what you like & dont like when you read up on the sticks ("Hmmmm... a lot of the sticks I like have connecticut wrappers") and 2) if you have a memory like me, will help you avoid the good ol "I cant remember what the name of that cigar I tried last week was... I think it was dark, and I think it MIGHT have had a blue band... or was it green?" sort of thing.

Welcome to the forums & the cigra hobby man. Make sure you stick around these forums, great bunch of guys & a WEALTH of no-BS, unbiased information. As long as you stay away from that ENFIDEL guy - HIM you gotta watch close! :-) LOL

• Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    welcome! My first piece of advice: order a bigger humidor. That is not meant to be comic. When you go to order your bigger humi, whatever you initially put in your shopping cart, remove and add a larger capacity one.

Other than that, it sounds like you are already on the right track, just grab whichever samplers catch your eye until you have a good grasp on what you like and dislike. The Ccom custom sampler is an awesome tool for this once you have at least some idea of what you are looking for in a cigar.
    dont bother with a humidor, they will still be too small eventually, do a search for cooladors and apply the same principle,
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Man Ohman! If I was rollong a top a humvee with my hands on the trigger of a .50 cal machine gun I think it would take a really bad cigar to ruin my ride. But you are far so why risk it. Diesels are excellent sticks. You can't go wrong with them. I am a noob smoker but for me these have given some definition to what really makes my smoke: All powerpacked tobacco punch with leather and spice from the Shorty/UH and Veggy-barnyardy earthy nitty gritty from the unlimited. The flavor would even cut through the smoke of your machine gun if you find yourself opening up on the opposition....Stay safe!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving. I have a son in the 82nd and he was deployed to beautiful downtown Ramidii.

I too think the house blends are great. Try the sampler to see which one you like. Keep your head down and stay well.