Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha Viper

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
Rare chance for me to get in a morning smoke, so I figure I will do a review----Im not the best at this, just so everyone is aware....but here goes

Gurhka Viper Grand Corona6x46 Box PressedWrapper & Binder: Dominican----Filler: NicaraguanPaid 3.49 on sale at a local B&M

Im a little worried about this stick prelight. First, I am much more of a maduro smoker...and not a huge Dominican fan. Second, the wrapper is a little veiny, the cap isnt the best construction, and the feel is a little spongy. However, the smell is of clean tobacco and wood with no mustiness or earth as I have seen described in other reviews

The cigar lights very well, and while starting unevely it gets better. The stick starts not at all complex, but rather good for the one dimensional woody and tobacco flavors. Its seems to give off slight taste of nutmeg or spice as I get through the first third. The ash is slightly darker grey and the stick itself is burning well, but requires me to smoke it a little faster than I like as it seems to burn quickly

The second third to the end remain much the same as the initial third, though the stick does begin to burn hotter and gets a bit harsh at the end. It does become a little more leathery as the stick goes on and by the end I would say wood and leather are the two prominent notes. It is listed as a medium-full bodied cigar but I found it much more medium bodied than anything else.

Overall, the stick is very sold....especially for the price point. It is better than many pricier Gurkhas I have tried, and it is very reliable and consistent in taste, draw, and burn. Not something for those looking for a real powerhouse or great complexity----but a very good stick for everyday smoking and not wanting that "new stick disappointment" we all have at times. I like the box press, and while it burns a little quickly a consistent puffing takes care of any issues. Considering my above stated issues with Gurkhas, some Dominicans, and preference toward Maduros-------this was a nice little stick.

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Good review. I'll be looking for one in my local B&M to give it a try! 6X46 is one of my personal favorite sizes and a good medium cigar suits me well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of trying one of these, and this review gives me more of a reason to pick one up and try it.