Home Cigar 101
Options

One Step Hydrometer calibrating

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭

I found this site on the web, apparently it is more accurate the the salt test method for calibrating your hydrometer. I haven't used it though, has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/accstats.cfm/inum/23350/kws/ZWW2828?cm_mmc=CigarAdvisor-_-blog-_-salt%20test-_-boveda%20calib%20kit

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    never used it but the salt test is good enough for me. if i am worried about a +/- of .5% then im missing the point of cigars. ...relaxation
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I'll echo what kuzi said and add the fact that that test kit costs me 5 bucks plus shipping and the salt test costs me a pinch of salt and a few drops of distilled water from a gallon jug which cost me a grand total of 1$.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    all good points, as soon as I get a hydrometer, i will be using the salt method.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I would like to point out that I've tried the salt test on more than one occasion, and every time seem to get varied results. Must be my fault, but the kit can be had for a few bucks, and when ordering a hygro sometimes comes free. And it lasts for 3 months after opening. I like using them, worked fantastic with my new hygro, and will be used for another that's coming to me shortly.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I got one free with my hygrometer. It works nicely. I actually played with the salt test and this method to see how consistent they were. Both methods seem to be equally reliable, provided you set up your salt test correctly. If you are having trouble getting consistent results with the salt test, you may want to grab one of these to take the worry away. Otherwise, the salt test is simple and free.