Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Medicare... Get ready for a voucher to buy for profit health care...

Comments

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    How did you write the bald motherf*ckers name on here and not get censored out? Every morning I kick myself in the a$$ for not realizing how good we had it with Charlie Crist.
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    What would the other option be to maintain solvency?

Is it perfect as submitted? Absolutely not.

Is it a step in the right direction? Yes.

America can not continue to kick the can down the road. We need both spending reform and tax reform. For years we have done one without the other and it got us to where we are today. We are in a place where we have to make unpopular decisions. Staying the course is not an option.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, actually medicare is doing just fine. People pay into just like everything else, and get this, the government only has like a 3 percent overhead, unlike the "prized" private sector which takes about or over 30 percent and uses their money to lobby less protections for people. And medicare has like a 90 percent approval rating. I find it funny how some people are all in love with privatizing things however if people realized THAT THEY are the ones who vote people into the government to make laws! And they have no control over who runs a company. So logic says (that is if these same people have it) VOTE for people who want to help this country and its citizens and not for profit companies that have no loyalty to this Country. I mean if the dollar tanks, this country goes bankrupt then they will just move to another while we are all screwed. Protectionism is something we need to adopt.

btw, government programs are not intended to make a profit! it's not a company. If and a big if, the government stopped spending so much of tax dollars on corporate solvency and spent that money on the commons we would be in better shape and have many more jobs.
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    Lol. What part of the budget defcit is paying for the cost of medicare?

Nearly 70 percent of the budget is entitlement and defense spending. What do you suggest they cut instead? Even if we cut the other 30 percent were still running a deficit.

10,000 people per day are turning 65. The cost of medicare will double by 2020. I could care less about privatizing or not. If we don't change something, as you say were screwed. Because they just print more money and devalue the dollar further.

Sooner or later whether we like it or not change will happen. I'd rather make the rules, rather than them being forced upon us. But our current politicians are driven by re election and only make difficult decisions when a forcing event occurs.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    If and a big if, the government stopped spending so much of tax dollars on corporate solvency and spent that money on the commons we would be in better shape and have many more jobs.
    Yeah! Because who runs more effeciently than the government??? I don't know about you but I absolutely love going to government offices and I love interacting with the people who work there! They're just so friendly and helpful. Everytime I have to go to the DMV or call the IRS I just get an uncontrollable smile on my face.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Dont like the idea put forth----but not onna argue that point. What I want to see is people my age getting out to vote and saying F*CK THE MEDICARE and constant benefits for the baby boomers and beyond and placing the burden on my generation and my kids. I know all the old arguments for that generation and the coming retirees----but if retire at 67 and live to 85 or 90 you get soooooo much more that you ever paid into for. Additionally, we cant afford to have 4 kids per family any more.......So enough with satisfying the 50 and up, let the 18-40 year olds get the f*ck out and vote before I have to work until Im literally dead.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    phobicsquirrel:
    If and a big if, the government stopped spending so much of tax dollars on corporate solvency and spent that money on the commons we would be in better shape and have many more jobs.
    Yeah! Because who runs more effeciently than the government??? I don't know about you but I absolutely love going to government offices and I love interacting with the people who work there! They're just so friendly and helpful. Everytime I have to go to the DMV or call the IRS I just get an uncontrollable smile on my face.
    I agree with ya Pheebs to an extent. If the government would stop spending money to prop up corporations, they could actually let the "commons" keep more of their own money to take care of themselves rather than relying on the government. Part of Ryan's plan addresses this by cutting farm subsidies and crop insurance. It stops pumping tax dollars into the pockets of farmers and forces them to take the same risks every other American businessman takes. It's not a small cut either, its a $30 billion cut over the next 10 years which is about 20% of the projected budget for the program.

I have more on the Medicare vouchers and the cuts for Medicaid and food stamps, but I'll have to get into that when I have more time. Oh, and the failure to cut defense spending or start on social security reform... both major failures on Mr. Ryan's part IMO.