Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Question for those with smart phones - business related

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Ok, so I may or may not be moving into a new job in which I need to juggle a lot of clients at the same time, and my current non-smart phone probably ain't gonna cut it. So I'd like some opinions on what carrier/phone you guys like?

Ideally, it'd have a lot of apps, good coverage, and be versatile - hopefully something I can fit in my pocket or a coat pocket and won't need a backpack to lug around

Comments

• Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    In our area Verizon has the best coverage. I can't remember the last time I dropped a call. AT&T drops constantly.

I moved to Android two years ago. Not nearly the apps of the iphone, but Google Calendar, and gmail have been great. I use Google Maps for GPS and navigation. I don't sync with work email, but I know it is possible.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    I moved over to a Droid X last December from a Crackberry... Best Phone I have ever had, Verizon... Plenty of Apps and gaining more every day... I hate the Apple Concept... everything has to run through I tunes and that is CRAP!, although I think thier Camera might be better but the HD video on the Droid Cant be beat! Verizon Service cant be beat Nationaly,,, all others have Problems regionaly. But everyone has thier Opinion . Its a ruff world out there in the Phone game to many to choose from. Good Luck!
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    I am with Sprint and I just upgraded from the BB 8330 to the BB 9670 and my new phone rocks compared to the 8330. Looks like they have a lot more apps for this phone too. What i like is it is a flip phone and is very compact compared to the iphone and HTC Evo. Takes great pics and video and what I like most is I can message my entire contact list in one shot instead of only being able to do them in groups of 10 like with the 8330
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    In my opinion Verizon is the best carrier. As for phones I would defiantly go with an Android or the Iphone (the Iphone 5 will be out around July from what I hear).
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Love my Blackberry Bold. It's all synced with my outlook from work, which is all I really need. I like the actual keyboard too.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I have two, one for work and one personal. Have a blackberry with AT&T for work and while it's workhorse for email, it sucks for everything else., especially apps. Don't run apps with blackberry, not worth the time and pain. I also have a samsung galaxy s (droid os) with tmobile and while many might be surprised to hear this, the coverage is just as good as any other carrier where I live. I cant tell you the last time I had a call dropped. As for apps, processor, etc, the galaxy s is awesome. I think it competes with iPhone, which I've used. Less apps than iPhone, but all the important ones are there. Also, tmobile plans are very affordable and there was a buynone get one special on the galaxy s when I got it.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    don't know the carriers there but BB Torch is where its at for me...
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sprint guy here! Ive got an HTC Hero and absolutely love it! Does everything extremely well, more apps than you can shake a stick at - best phone Ive ever had period!

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Coverage hand down Verizon has the best...

Pocket sized means you'd go Droid Incredible, all the specs of the best SMART phones but only in a 3.8" screen. It has android so it's versatile

The only thing to think about is how much you'll be using the Internet (GPS, EMAIL, Streaming Radio, Facebook Etc) for Verizon cannot do voice and data at the same time so if you want to tether your laptop or something like that you cannot talk and use data at the same time...
    If you wish to do that, then you'd probably want to go to AT&T for they can do both
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Never had a dropped call on Sprint in like the last 4 years or so. Also, Sprint will offer you a lower monthly bill than ATT and Verizon, since it is fighting for market share. Also - I use an HTC Evo, very fond of it.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Depends on what area you're in:

Where I live they have to pump the sunshine in and AT&T is the only carrier that works, and I've never had any issues with them. However, I have lived in places where Verizon had better services, I just don't like their customer service and due to an experience in the past will never use them again (personal opinion). Look around and see who has the best coverage in the area, best way is to ask people who use them in that area. When I was a recruiter for the Army I went to a gas station in my new area and asked everyone how their coverage was, and if they were happy with the coverage, and where they used it most. That way I knew if I needed to change carriers. Looked like an IDIOT for about 2 hours, but didn't do it in uniform, so no harm no foul.

If you are going to need to juggle a lot of things (ie. appointments, contacts, information in general) then a smart phone will definitely help. I use an Android style phone now, but have had the iPhone, and blackberries, even had Palm at one point in time (what a disaster!). It is all personal preference. I like how fast and responsive the 'Droids' are, but if you have an iPhone set up correctly it is the same way. If the phone is going to be for work and personal I'd recommend looking at the people in your occupation and seeing what they are using. I personally think the iPhone doesn't look professional (personal opinion), and some of the 'Droids' are the same way. Just gotta jump out there and look.

My personal all-time favorite phone ran off a Linux platform and I NEVER had any issues with it. Now the 'Droids' are very close to replicating that. Make sure you get one with a fast enough processor to 'juggle' the things you will need though. Damn, a novel... My bad.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on Sprint with a Google Android but have also had a Blackberry. Each has positives and negatives. Really depends on what you will be doing. With Sprint I get everything unlimited for a very low price. With Verizon or AT&T I would pay $60 to $80 more to come close to what I have and still it wouldn't be unlimited. You have to keep in mind how much you are willing to pay a month. If work covers it no worries but I know I don't personally want to pay more just to have an iphone. Sprint service is better for me over Verion and AT&T from Kansas City to the areas I travel in about a 4 hours radius from KC.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    AT&T sucks! Just remember that rule! LoL I have Sprint with the HTC Evo and I love it.