Home Non Cigar Related
Options

spilled coffee on my computer.

cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
Thank God it missed my phone. About 12 ounces or so, I think its fried. Got a fan blowing on it now....

Comments

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    cabinetmaker:
    Thank God it missed my phone. About 12 ounces or so, I think its fried. Got a fan blowing on it now....

Damn it must be going around... been there done that!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Did the same thing myself; lost a great computer. First thing you wanna do is turn it upside down and let the coffee drain out; then you open up the back and get the harddrive out (don't forget to ground yourself first; static electricity will fry the HD).

Then buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UO6C5S It'll allow you to hook your old HD up to a computer and transfer the files over

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Good tip for if you ever do it with a phone take out the battery and any memory card or sim and drop it in 90% isopropel alcohol its non conductive and will evaporate much more quickly. Saved my GF's phone after she dropped it in a toilet.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't know that I'd really want my phone back if I dropped it in the toilet...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I don't know that I'd really want my phone back if I dropped it in the toilet...
    I bet it's get's "Sh1tty" reception after that!
  • Options
    HAHA. Least the alcohol sanitized it as well.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Good tip for if you ever do it with a phone take out the battery and any memory card or sim and drop it in 90% isopropel alcohol its non conductive and will evaporate much more quickly. Saved my GF's phone after she dropped it in a toilet.
    Wow, how did I not think of doing this the couple times I got my phone wet? I do this in the lab all the time...it'll definitely work. Somehow knowledge outside the lab and knowledge inside never seem to mingle as much as they ought to...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Another thing to help with removing liquids from a phone or computer, but mainly a phone, is uncooked rice. After you've put it in the alcohol, put it in a baggie of uncooked rice for a few hours. it will pull the moisture out of the spots the alcohol might have missed.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    the isopropyl takes care of all that...
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    So you are saying take the battery out and mem cards and put the entire phone is isoprop?
  • Options
    Yep Water is conductive and causes shorts in the phone alcohol is not and will evaporate much more quickly.
  • Options
    I have denatured alcohol at my shop, maybe that'd work. As for the computer it was a total loss...
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Yep Water is conductive and causes shorts in the phone alcohol is not and will evaporate much more quickly.
    cool info! What about this scenario? I have a torchlighter I paid enough $$ for and the flame no longer comes out "torch like" it comes out like a normal flame (no power) but doesn't even come out right it sort of lights and the flames sticks to the actual lighter if that makes sense....I really don't want to have to send it away and I really do not want to screw around with it myself...seems like it may be plugged or something...I have tried purging and blowing it out with compressed air no difference...I am using Xikar triple refined butane so that should be good quality??? What about filling a cup and dropping the lighter in and let it sit may the isoprop can clear it up if its gummed up??
  • Options
    Use the butane to blow out the jets. Small bursts. Let it rest a couple minutes, then try it.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    cool info! What about this scenario? I have a torchlighter I paid enough $$ for and the flame no longer comes out "torch like" it comes out like a normal flame (no power) but doesn't even come out right it sort of lights and the flames sticks to the actual lighter if that makes sense....I really don't want to have to send it away and I really do not want to screw around with it myself...seems like it may be plugged or something...I have tried purging and blowing it out with compressed air no difference...I am using Xikar triple refined butane so that should be good quality??? What about filling a cup and dropping the lighter in and let it sit may the isoprop can clear it up if its gummed up??
    I don't think this is going to work. Isopropanol isn't a great cleaner, it really just dries things out well by mixing with water and evaporating quickly and does so in a non-conductive manner so electronics remain intact. If what's blocking your lighter is not liquid, its not going to fix it. Unless whatever it is dissolves really well in alcohol...then you might have something...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    I bet it's get's "Sh1tty" reception after that!
    Damn, we missed you Lassy!
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    I got it back from Best Buy with the back-up disks of my data, and they told me it would never run again. Just outta curiosity (never tell me never!!!) I tried to turn it on, and to everyone's surprise (I mean, I poured 6 oz's of coffee outta this thing) it came on, booted up and runs just fine...well, the sound is a bit off, but who cares!!!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If the HD is clicking, it means it's on its last legs and is about to die
  • Options
    xmacro:
    If the HD is clicking, it means it's on its last legs and is about to die
    The speakers, not the hard drive; they got soaked.